Thread: An informal survey about new car buying....

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

An informal survey about new car buying....

This isn't scientific, just anecdotal - but I'm curious how many of you have plans (real plans) to buy a new car in the next year or two? How many of you thought about, but are putting it off due to the economy/budget concerns? How many of you have decided to buy a different type of car?

Re: An informal survey about new car buying....

No new car plans here but that has nothing to do with the economy. I usually keep a car for as long as it is reliable (10+ years) and the present ones are but two and four years old.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    No new car plans here but that has nothing to do with the economy. I usually keep a car for as long as it is reliable (10+ years) and the present ones are but two and four years old.
    My Frontier's 10 years old, but still runs and looks nearly new. I hope I can keep it for at least another 3-5 years as a daily driver.

An interesting side note: Neither I nor any automotive scribbler I know ever buys new cars. We drive 'em and we make a living writing about 'em - but we ourselves always driver older/used (or even antique) cars!

Likewise, I've had the Toyota since 2000, it only has 109,000 odd miles on the clock and - touch wood, throw salt over left shoulder and prostrate myself to the Invisible Pink Unicorn (may her tiny hooves be blessed) - so far is beautifully reliable. I think all I have changed so far is, one water pump, front discs (An exuberant high speed run resulted in a warped disc), one battery and a drop-arm bush, along with all the usual consumables. Will probably only keep it another ten years or so as I have heard that some of the valve bucket shims might need replacing around 250,000 miles. :P

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Staff

I have my 8 year old Saturn L100 with 160000 miles on the clock. The car will be replaced if the cost of the repair exceeds the value of the car.

My plan would be to buy a RWD sedan. I am sick and tired of FWD.

I think my car will last me to 200,000 miles.

The economy and my job situation will determine what and when I buy....I am putting it off as long as possible due to present budget concerns. The other thing that will prevent me from buying a new car is exogenous factors such as speed limit enforcement, etc. I may decide to take the rest of my marbles and completely leave the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    My Frontier's 10 years old, but still runs and looks nearly new. I hope I can keep it for at least another 3-5 years as a daily driver.

An interesting side note: Neither I nor any automotive scribbler I know ever buys new cars. We drive 'em and we make a living writing about 'em - but we ourselves always driver older/used (or even antique) cars!
    Generally I would not buy a new car. I prefer to get them at about eighteen months old with some manufacturer's warranty left - that way any bugs should have been ironed out, the initial massive depreciation hit has gone, and I still have some initial warranty left. With Toyota I buy an extended warranty at the time of purchase, this comes into effect when the original warranty runs out and enables extention of the manufacturer's warranty period (on a year by year basis) to eight years.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

You get that new car urge satisfied by a regular supply of test cars.

As for me, I just bought a new car last year, so no plans for the forseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    Likewise, I've had the Toyota since 2000, it only has 109,000 odd miles on the clock and - touch wood, throw salt over left shoulder and prostrate myself to the Invisible Pink Unicorn (may her tiny hooves be blessed) - so far is beautifully reliable. I think all I have changed so far is, one water pump, front discs (An exuberant high speed run resulted in a warped disc), one battery and a drop-arm bush, along with all the usual consumables. Will probably only keep it another ten years or so as I have heard that some of the valve bucket shims might need replacing around 250,000 miles. :P

Ken.
    Must be a Supra, I can't imagine anything else from Toyota capable of an "exuberant high speed run".

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken

Ken.
    Must be a Supra, I can't imagine anything else from Toyota capable of an "exuberant high speed run".
    Nah, just an ordinary Carina SE and an auto to boot, but on our little country roads, even pushing it, it is hard to hit even ninety (in a car) before the next 90 left or 90 right comes up.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

I have no plans at all to buy a new car. The last brand-new car I bought was a 1979 Toyota Corona LE. Actually it was a "executive-driven" car with 12k miles.

I just bought what I have been telling my wife is my last car. 3 years old, 39k miles. That's the way i have bought my cars for 25 years. Let someone else take the depreciation, keep them till they are a worthless piece of junque.

Now it is possible I may get something new(er) for the spouse, but that remains to be seen. She is happy to drive the 1990 Jaguar a few miles every week to keep the oil circulating. It is up to 51k miles on it now............
    A man's greatest mistake is to think he is working for somebody else.

"New" or "New to me"?

Like I said in the other thread, I like the looks of the 2009 Pilot. But unless the CR-V gets total-lossed in an accident (which, given it's age, is likely in *any* accident it's in), I don't plan on buying a replacement.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

I plan to jsut tyre kick for now.... who wants a car....2 wheels are more fun ;D
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1
    I plan to jsut tyre kick for now.... who wants a car....2 wheels are more fun ;D
    Until it gets cold!

Until it gets cold!
    Kwoz lives in the eternal summer of Oz.

Until it gets cold!
    But it does get cold....at night...and out west. When I rode to Longreach 3 months ago it was brass monkey temperatures ifirst thing in the morning!!!
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1

Until it gets cold!
    But it does get cold....at night...and out west. When I rode to Longreach 3 months ago it was brass monkey temperatures ifirst thing in the morning!!!
    Well, if you'd stayed on the coast, the monkey would still be singing bass.

Well, my '79 Toyota Corona LE with the 5-speed manual moved out pretty good. don't remember what size the 4-banger was but it did move right on out.
    A man's greatest mistake is to think he is working for somebody else.