Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think is the BEST sports car you can buy, and still drive all year?

What do you think is the BEST sports car you can buy, and still drive all year?

Pretend money isnt really a concern - you can buy any new sports (or at least sporty) car you want.
    The caveat is, you have to drive it every day, year-round. And, where you live, it snows.

What car do you get?
    Do you get an AWD Audi?
    A GTR?
    A 911 C4S?
    A WRX/Evo?

What car would you wind up with?
    Rule #1: No SUVs/Trucks
    '06 Lotus Elise, '07 Saturn Sky Redline

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: What do you think is the BEST sports car you can buy, and still drive all ye

Quote Originally Posted by damen
    Pretend money isnt really a concern - you can buy any new sports (or at least sporty) car you want.
    The caveat is, you have to drive it every day, year-round. And, where you live, it snows.

What car do you get?
    Do you get an AWD Audi?
    A GTR?
    A 911 C4S?
    A WRX/Evo?

What car would you wind up with?
    Rule #1: No SUVs/Trucks
    One such vehicle that's suitable for just about any purpose, including carrying a dog (important for me) is the Volvo V70 T6 sportwagon; full-size, lots of room, excellent power/good handling, not-terrible gas mileage, etc - but Volvo dropped it from the lineup because it didn't sell so well.

Saab turbo wagons are similarly appealing if it has to be your "only" car...

Re: What do you think is the BEST sports car you can buy, and still drive all year?

lol yeah I probably should've said "no wagons" as rule #2, but I honestly didnt think anyone would pick one

Re: What do you think is the BEST sports car you can buy, and still drive all ye

lol yeah I probably should've said "no wagons" as rule #2, but I honestly didnt think anyone would pick one
    Then I'd go for something along the lines of an M5 or E-Class AMG....

Re: What do you think is the BEST sports car you can buy, and still drive all year?

will those go in the snow?
    they're both RWD, which I love - but does make snow a bit tougher

will those go in the snow?
    they're both RWD, which I love - but does make snow a bit tougher
    For me, snow driving is a near non-issue. I work for myself - and out of my house. So if it does snow I don't have to go anywhere. I can stay here for weeks if need be. But even so, we rarely get "serious" snow - that is, enough to actually make the roads impassable to anything other than a 4Wd vehicle - more than a handful of days per year. Sometimes not even that. It's been two years, in fact, since we had a big snowstorm here.

I rarely need the 4WD on my truck, truth be told - and could live with 2WD no problem. So, even though the M5 and Benz are RWD and are helpless in snow that would be at most a minor inconvenience. For me, anyhow. 8)

lol sure, but in my original post I said this is a car that you have to drive every day

lol sure, but in my original post I said this is a car that you have to drive every day
    Well, for me, it would be an everyday driver. Just about, anyhow. Who buys a car based on the 5 or so days out of the year when you might need 4WD?

Bottom line: There is no high-performance sports car that's good in snow. Some suck more than others, but none are in their element. For an everyday driver, though, four doors is probably a must have. And an adequate trunk/cargo area... So, coupes are out!

lol people who dont get to work from home

lol people who dont get to work from home
    Bottom line: There is no high-performance sports car that's good in snow. Some suck more than others, but none are in their element. For an everyday driver, though, four doors is probably a must have. And an adequate trunk/cargo area... So, coupes are out!

lol I disagree
    I've never in my life found a NEED for 4 doors (heck, even when I was a kid, my parents never had a 4door)
    though in this case I will acknowledge that in the AWD world, 4 doors is nearly a given.
    and if I need to move something, its easy to rent a truck or get a friend to help

but, if I need to get to work and it has snowed - then I NEED a vehicle that can move in the snow
    doesnt need to be AWD - some reasonably nice cars are WWD. Heck, I've even seen SOME RWD cars do alright in the snow.

I hear the 911 turbo is decent (AWD) - same with the charger r/t (though if I were to get a charger, I'd want the SRT.. which is RWD only)

Considering all the limitations and specifications you have mentioned, I think I would get a Cadillac CTS-V

If you take out the snow and daily driver limit, then it would probably be one of these:

I like shopping with no regard to money <VBG>
    A man's greatest mistake is to think he is working for somebody else.

I hadnt realized the CTS was available with AWD - good catch!

and speaking of supercars - you can keep winter and just get one of the newer lambos - most of them have AWD

Audi R8

We had nearly a foot of snow several years ago. A coworker had an AWD Audi A4, and couldn't get down his driveway -- he just didn't have the ground clearance.

At the time, I had the ML-320, so I went over and drove him to the supermarket.

So I would say that provided the snow isn't *deep*, an Audi would be a good choice. Otherwise, there is no sports/sporty car that is good for driving in winter.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    We had nearly a foot of snow several years ago. A coworker had an AWD Audi A4, and couldn't get down his driveway -- he just didn't have the ground clearance.

At the time, I had the ML-320, so I went over and drove him to the supermarket.

So I would say that provided the snow isn't *deep*, an Audi would be a good choice. Otherwise, there is no sports/sporty car that is good for driving in winter.

Chip H.
    Low ground clearance and "summer" tires (which a lot of these types of cars come with) equal Ned Beatty-esque helplessness in winter.

My opinion on this is you pick the right tool for the job. Just as a 4WD SUV is not optimized (indeed, it is compromised) in high-speed, lateral acceleration driving, so also any true high-performance car is not optimized for other than smooth, paved (and, generally, dry) roads.

If I owned a high-dollar high-perf. car, there's no way I'd risk wrecking the thing by subjecting it to winter driving. Your ability doesn't count for much when the vehicle your driving is completely out of its element....

thats so boring
    have I called you an old man lately?

thats so boring
    have I called you an old man lately?
    Wait a few years and you'll get wiser, too!

I have my truck for utilitarian purposes; when I need to haul crap to the dumpster, cart the dog around or deal with snow.

But I have a bike that runs 10 second quarters when I feel the need for speed - and which will walk away from (and outhandle) virtually any sports car on the road.

And then I have a muscle car for when the urge for smoky burnouts hits me... .

Different tools for different needs! ;D

what's wrong with the Evo, for example? it is absolutely FANTASTIC in the snow, even with summer tires, and it'll smoke my corvette.
    or how about the WRX/STi?
    The Audi S4?

just some examples of cars that have AWD and are fine in the snow AND are lots of fun

what's wrong with the Evo, for example? it is absolutely FANTASTIC in the snow, even with summer tires, and it'll smoke my corvette.
    or how about the WRX/STi?
    The Audi S4?

just some examples of cars that have AWD and are fine in the snow AND are lots of fun
    "Fantastic" in snow strikes me as a bit of a stretch. (Based on direct experience driving cars of this type in winter weather.)

These cars are not optimized for inclement weather; in fact, the design attributes that make them so great on dry pavement make them worse than the average FWD car with all-season tires in snow/ice, etc.

Such cars have minimal ground clearance, for one thing. So if the snow's more than a couple of inches deep, you're going to have problems.

Another is the rolling stock. These cars typically come with high-performance "summer" tires optimized for high-speed/high-load use on dry (sometimes wet) roads. But they're much worse than regular all-seasons in snow. So you'd need to change to some kind of winter-rated tire. Which is a PITAS. As well as expensive, given the typical 17, 18 and 19 inch rims we're dealing with here.

Why subject a car to an environment/driving conditions for which it is not designed?

I'm not saying you can't drive one of these kinds of cars in winter - just that they're about the last thing you'd want to drive in the winter. You've got a better chance of getting stuck - or worse, wrecking the thing.