Thread: Taxed based on road usage?

Taxed based on road usage?

Raleigh is one of the communities that the federal DOT will be using in a study to see if changing the way roads are funded will work.
    The DOT is worried that if you buy a more fuel-efficient car, they won't receive as much money to build/repair roads, since the taxes are added into the cost of gasoline. This study will see if changing to a tax based on the number of miles you drive will give them the revenue they would lose if lots of people trade in their Ford Expeditions for Chevy Volts.

http://www.wral.com/traffic/story/3684164/

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Re: Taxed based on road usage?

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    Raleigh is one of the communities that the federal DOT will be using in a study to see if changing the way roads are funded will work.
    The DOT is worried that if you buy a more fuel-efficient car, they won't receive as much money to build/repair roads, since the taxes are added into the cost of gasoline. This study will see if changing to a tax based on the number of miles you drive will give them the revenue they would lose if lots of people trade in their Ford Expeditions for Chevy Volts.

Chip H.

In some sense we already have that with toll roads. I think it is more prevalent in the northeast that anywhere else. The EZ-Pass, a transponder stuck to the windshield is read without the need to stop and the bill is paid monthly by credit card - there are other ways to pay but this is simplest for most individuals.

What is realy needed is to make sure that road funds, whatever the source, are spent solely on roads. NY has been very bad about that in the past and given the venality of our oppressors in Albany, will probably continue to be although promises have been made to be good.

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    What is realy needed is to make sure that road funds, whatever the source, are spent solely on roads. NY has been very bad about that in the past and given the venality of our oppressors in Albany, will probably continue to be although promises have been made to be good.
    You got that right! Both federal and state gax tax momey is routinely diverted to plug holes in the budget. Unfortuantely, given today's state of the economy, we can't expect to find any relief anytime soon.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Chip H.

Interesting... not sure where I come down on this. On the one hand, I generally support the idea that those who use something ought to be the ones who pay for it - for example, public schools. On the other hand, I don't see how this could be implemented without some kind of tracking system required in every car - and I am totally opposed to anything like that.

The tracking issue is a problem.

For example, I just drove down to SC to see my sister. Should I pay NC for the miles I drove on SC's roads?
    If they decide that you pay for miles in the state where the car is registered, no matter where the miles were driven, then an annual odometer check will suffice. Except... that a lot of states no longer have an annual inspection where that could take place.

Otherwise, they'd have to go with something like a GPS-based system, and like you said, that is a huge can of worms. I can see those records being subpeonaed by divorce lawyers.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Otherwise, they'd have to go with something like a GPS-based system, and like you said, that is a huge can of worms. I can see those records being subpeonaed by divorce lawyers.

Chip H.
    You, Sir, have an evil mind. Or else you were a lawyer in some previous incarnation.

Staff

The gasoline tax is a very good way of paying for roads. The problem is that the gas taxes haven't gone up in at least a decade in most states and in 15 years at the federal level, while road construction costs have escalated. Gas taxes should be increased and the loopholes should be plugged regarding spending on anything more than capacity improvements.

The thing I don't understand about the logic used by those favoring GPS tracking is that if miles driven go down due to high gas costs, you will have the same effect as reducing gas consumption by, guess what, driving fewer miles. The argument for GPS tracking is therefore a red herring, something I would expect from the yuks proposing it. In addition, enforcing it could develop into a nightmare for the government and the user. I anticipate a lot of tampering with these devices if they are made mandatory.

You, Sir, have an evil mind. Or else you were a lawyer in some previous incarnation.
    It's already happening with the E-Z Pass toll transmitters. It's just that a GPS system for tracking miles travelled will have much finer grained information available -- instead of only showing the cheatin' spouse took exit 14 on the toll road instead of exit 32, it could show the vehicle was parked outside the motel between the hours of 11am and 12pm.

The problem with the gasoline taxes is that 25-30% of the money collected isn't going towards the roads as intended. It's being diverted into the general fund.

Chip H.

The problem with the gasoline taxes is that 25-30% of the money collected isn't going towards the roads as intended. It's being diverted into the general fund.

Chip H.
    Your are fortunate to live in a state with a reasonably honest legislature. From time to time NY has managed to divert 100% plus some borrowings to the general fund.

A few years ago there was a car rental agency in CT which had GPS in all cars and would slap a surcharge on renters who had seriously exceeded the speed limit. There was a lot of noise about it and it stopped. My guess is that it stopped because word got around and they lost business but who knows?

D_E_Davis

A few years ago there was a car rental agency in CT which had GPS in all cars and would slap a surcharge on renters who had seriously exceeded the speed limit. There was a lot of noise about it and it stopped. My guess is that it stopped because word got around and they lost business but who knows?
    It stopped because CT stepped on the rental company - here's the link:
    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/20...r-tracking.htm

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Chip H.
    Your are fortunate to live in a state with a reasonably honest legislature. From time to time NY has managed to divert 100% plus some borrowings to the general fund.

It stopped because customers had other options. What happens when all cars are required to have such tracking systems onboard?

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis

It stopped because CT stepped on the rental company - here's the link:
    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/20...r-tracking.htm

Thank you, I sit corrected.

The claim by the rental company that the customer "knew and understood" the contract may be correct in some technical sense but who really reads, let alone understands, one of those d'd contracts. I have seen them printed on the reverse side of a triplicate document which cannot be seen until after the thing is signed and pulled apart.

Chip H.
    In the few months left of solvency for Ford, you might wish to comment on the mentality of Ford's 'My Key' for teenage drivers?

Mind you, in a country which doesn't always allow outside clothes-lines to dry washing, I wouldn't expect them to see anything odd about programming children's car keys...

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg

Mind you, in a country which doesn't always allow outside clothes-lines to dry washing, I wouldn't expect them to see anything odd about programming children's car keys...

There are no clothes-lines in my area but I know of nothing preventing them beyond common sense. Who is going to carry a basket of heavy wet clothing outside and hang it up when the whole mess can be shoved into the dryer sitting next to the washing machine?

You people do know about washing machines and driers, do you not?

D_E_Davis

The claim by the rental company that the customer "knew and understood" the contract may be correct in some technical sense but who really reads, let alone understands, one of those d'd contracts. I have seen them printed on the reverse side of a triplicate document which cannot be seen until after the thing is signed and pulled apart.
    The only things worse are the software licemse agreements.

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis
    The only things worse are the software licemse agreements.

Right, they are worse. As near as I can understand them one is permitted to buy but not use.

Our state, Oregon, has been kicking around the idea if putting a user fee on miles traveled. That's sounds fine to a point. What fees will they charge, and how often. Will they be charging "out of staters" as they enter or exit our state? I don't drive any more than 5K on two of our cars, and much less than 2K on the other. Will it make a difference on the type of fuel being used? It sounds good. but anything coming for any form of government has a bunch of hidden words in it that they don't want you to know until they want you to know it. ;D