Thread: Will Obama try to ban guns ?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Will Obama try to ban guns ?

Obama has a very anti-gun record. But even if he's elected - and has a "rubber stamp" Democrat-controlled Congress backing him - I wonder whether he'd be politically stupid enough to pursue new gun control legislation? He's got to know that this is a "third rail" for many voters, especially Blue Collar/Reagan Democrats and Independent/Libertarians (like me).

But, he may just be - and might just try it.

If he does, he'll have a rocky four years - and forget about Obama getting re-elected in 2012!

Re: Will Obama try to ban guns ?

No. He knows how hard it is to amend the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    Well, the Second Amendment has been stomped on before - and still is, today - without any amendment to the Constitution. DC, for example, has flouted the individual right to keep and bear arms for decades. Clintigula successfully imposed limits on magazine capacity and other things. There are the so-called "assault" rifle bans; bans on certain types of ammunition. Et Cetera.

The Constitution means nothing anymore. Hasn't for years. And thanks to The Chimp, government has become more brazen about the rights it will violent with effrontery in the name of "security" or "fighting terror."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    Well, the Second Amendment has been stomped on before - and still is, today - without any amendment to the Constitution. DC, for example, has flouted the individual right to keep and bear arms for decades. Clintigula successfully imposed limits on magazine capacity and other things. There are the so-called "assault" rifle bans; bans on certain types of ammunition. Et Cetera.

The Constitution means nothing anymore. Hasn't for years. And thanks to The Chimp, government has become more brazen about the rights it will violent with effrontery in the name of "security" or "fighting terror."

The "assault rifle" bans were so subjective that they were probably not enforceable except for magazine capacity which could be easily gotten around. If I recollect correctly the ammo bans were equally ridiculous, Teflon coating or some such making them more dangerous.

It's all the work of madmen, soft point ammo is banned in war by the Geneva Convention and the same ammo is the norm in civilian life.

"The "assault rifle" bans were so subjective that they were probably not enforceable except for magazine capacity which could be easily gotten around. If I recollect correctly the ammo bans were equally ridiculous, Teflon coating or some such making them more dangerous."

Certainly - but it doesn't change the fact that such restrictions were passed - irrespective of the Second Amendment.

Further: I agree with Henry that CWP is BS. No citizen of a free country should be compelled to ask for permission to carry a concealed gun. It is a right to do so - not a privilege to be granted by the state.

It turns out that neither McCain nor Obama own a gun.

http://www.wral.com/news/political/story/3740040/

But their vice-presidential candidates do. Palin is well-known as a hunter, and Biden owns shotguns.

Bob Barr is the only presidential candidate to fully support your right to own guns.

I oppose any law requiring registration of, or restricting the ownership, manufacture, or transfer or sale of firearms or ammunition to
    law-abiding citizens.
    http://www.bobbarr2008.com/issues/second-amendment/

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Staff

I will state my opinion right now: People that don't vote for Barr or another 3rd party are addle headed political morons. They shouldn't be near a voting booth regardless of education level or even IQ.

If there was a way of lawfully and forcefully keeping them away from the polls, I would persue it to the nth degree.