Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: What more and more (real) conservatives are saying...

  1. #1
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,743

    What more and more (real) conservatives are saying...

    Colin Powell's endorsement of Obama as "a transformational figure" was powerful. But even more powerful was his withering indictment of the state of the Republican Party and the cancer of Rovian politics.

    It was similar to the diagnosis of Christopher Buckley following his endorsement of Obama: "To paraphrase a real conservative, Ronald Reagan, I haven't left the Republican Party. It left me."

    There are many other anti-Rove Republicans abandoning their party. I've had several Republican friends tell me privately what Powell and Buckley told the world publicly: that they're voting for Obama. Most of them not because they like Obama, but because they can't stand what Bush, Rove and now McCain and Palin have done to their party.

  2. #2
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126

    Re: What more and more (real) conservatives are saying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Colin Powell's endorsement of Obama as "a transformational figure" was powerful. But even more powerful was his withering indictment of the state of the Republican Party and the cancer of Rovian politics.

    It was similar to the diagnosis of Christopher Buckley following his endorsement of Obama: "To paraphrase a real conservative, Ronald Reagan, I haven't left the Republican Party. It left me."

    There are many other anti-Rove Republicans abandoning their party. I've had several Republican friends tell me privately what Powell and Buckley told the world publicly: that they're voting for Obama. Most of them not because they like Obama, but because they can't stand what Bush, Rove and now McCain and Palin have done to their party.
    A real conservative wouldn't endorse a punk like Obama.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC, USA
    Posts
    3,628

    Re: What more and more (real) conservatives are saying...

    Colin Powell has always voted for the man, not the party.

    Chip H.

    Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

  4. #4
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126

    Re: What more and more (real) conservatives are saying...

    Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    Colin Powell has always voted for the man, not the party.

    Chip H.
    And what does an Obama endorsement say about Powell. He is endorsing a punk.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC, USA
    Posts
    3,628

    Re: What more and more (real) conservatives are saying...

    He's made his choice, like 100+ million other voters will do on November 4th (assuming we get good turnout for this election)

    Chip H.

    Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

  6. #6
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,743

    Re: What more and more (real) conservatives are saying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Colin Powell's endorsement of Obama as "a transformational figure" was powerful. But even more powerful was his withering indictment of the state of the Republican Party and the cancer of Rovian politics.

    It was similar to the diagnosis of Christopher Buckley following his endorsement of Obama: "To paraphrase a real conservative, Ronald Reagan, I haven't left the Republican Party. It left me."

    There are many other anti-Rove Republicans abandoning their party. I've had several Republican friends tell me privately what Powell and Buckley told the world publicly: that they're voting for Obama. Most of them not because they like Obama, but because they can't stand what Bush, Rove and now McCain and Palin have done to their party.
    A real conservative wouldn't endorse a punk like Obama.
    I disagree.

    Again, it's not so much a vote for Obama as it is a vote against everything the GOP has become. To me, it is inconceivable that another neo-con Republican be voted into office. If it takes a vote for Obama to accomplish the punishment that is necessary, so be it.

    As I wrote earlier, a chastened GOP may just reform itself. Or we can just start fresh - perhaps with the Libertarian Party. But if McSame wins, you can forget about that.

  7. #7
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126

    Re: What more and more (real) conservatives are saying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Colin Powell's endorsement of Obama as "a transformational figure" was powerful. But even more powerful was his withering indictment of the state of the Republican Party and the cancer of Rovian politics.

    It was similar to the diagnosis of Christopher Buckley following his endorsement of Obama: "To paraphrase a real conservative, Ronald Reagan, I haven't left the Republican Party. It left me."

    There are many other anti-Rove Republicans abandoning their party. I've had several Republican friends tell me privately what Powell and Buckley told the world publicly: that they're voting for Obama. Most of them not because they like Obama, but because they can't stand what Bush, Rove and now McCain and Palin have done to their party.
    A real conservative wouldn't endorse a punk like Obama.
    I disagree.

    Again, it's not so much a vote for Obama as it is a vote against everything the GOP has become. To me, it is inconceivable that another neo-con Republican be voted into office. If it takes a vote for Obama to accomplish the punishment that is necessary, so be it.

    As I wrote earlier, a chastened GOP may just reform itself. Or we can just start fresh - perhaps with the Libertarian Party. But if McSame wins, you can forget about that.
    I think youre correct on the point of a chastened GOP, but a real conservative wouldn't lend his endorsement or support to someone who espouses big brother totalitarian socialism (Odumbo) anymore than he'd endorse a white headed cockroach neo-con in a military suit.

    I am curious - what evidence do you have that the GOP has ever done that? The GOP shifted to the right during the late 1970s to the early 1980s simply because of Reagan's vision and leadership. Beginning in around 1984, the GOP was back to their same old liberal ways and asserted absolutely no leadership whatsoever (especially after they lost 26 seats in 1982 and another 10 in 1985).


  8. #8
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,743

    Re: What more and more (real) conservatives are saying...


    My opinion: Nothing short of an electoral devastation this November will foster the housecleaning that is necessary. Neo-conservatism (and the politics of empire and know-nothing religious fundamentalism) must be unmistakably repudiated; such policies - and those who espouse them - must be rendered as unelectable as a child molester.

    If Obama destroys McSame, then the GOP will have to reboot; no way around it. It will either have to "me too" Obama and the Democrats (assuming he's successful) or (assuming an Obama administration is a debacle) pursue real conservatism - the smart kind, the kind that advocates excellence and knowledge (not the Bahhhhhhbul and fundie religious BS), constitutionalism and limited government (not empire), economic nationalism (not freeeeeeeeeeeeeeee trade) and which has no place for the likes of The Chimp, McSame, or Evita Palin!


  9. #9
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126

    Re: What more and more (real) conservatives are saying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric

    My opinion: Nothing short of an electoral devastation this November will foster the housecleaning that is necessary. Neo-conservatism (and the politics of empire and know-nothing religious fundamentalism) must be unmistakably repudiated; such policies - and those who espouse them - must be rendered as unelectable as a child molester.

    If Obama destroys McSame, then the GOP will have to reboot; no way around it. It will either have to "me too" Obama and the Democrats (assuming he's successful) or (assuming an Obama administration is a debacle) pursue real conservatism - the smart kind, the kind that advocates excellence and knowledge (not the Bahhhhhhbul and fundie religious BS), constitutionalism and limited government (not empire), economic nationalism (not freeeeeeeeeeeeeeee trade) and which has no place for the likes of The Chimp, McSame, or Evita Palin!
    I hope that you are right, although it seems like you are betting on suppositions and probabilities. We'll see. My bet is that GOP will be a permanent minority party from this point forward.

  10. #10
    Senior Member misterdecibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Posts
    3,408

    Re: What more and more (real) conservatives are saying...

    Powell thinks he's more likely to get an appointment in the Obama administration.

Similar Threads

  1. Sobran on the Real Enemies: Modern "conservatives"
    By Eric in forum What happened to our liberty?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-26-2010, 08:44 AM
  2. Real men ride real bikes!
    By Ken in forum On Two Wheels
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-04-2009, 02:45 PM
  3. Conservatives Lost More Than An Election
    By swamprat in forum Secession Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-13-2008, 07:42 AM
  4. Conservatives Are To Blame
    By Mase in forum Secession Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-13-2008, 07:06 AM
  5. Why are Conservatives Conservative?
    By misterdecibel in forum Secession Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-16-2008, 01:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •