Thread: Joe the Plumber is an idiot - or a plant

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Joe the Plumber is an idiot - or a plant

Why?

If reports are accurate, this guy earns $40k or so a year - so he'd have trouble buying a new Hyundai; forget about the $250,000 business (which is reportedly a $100,000 business). The guy also isn't even a licensed plumber - according to reports.

So why is the dude a McSame supporter? Obama's tax proposals would benefit him; McSame's policies screw guys like Joe.

It is a-mazing how the GOP has conned guys like Joe into voting against their economic interests - by gulling these dough heads into beelieving that they are in the same category as the super-affluent who benefit from the GOP's "trickle down" economic policies, which overwhelmingly favor the extremely wealthy.

I suspect it has to do with other factors, such as religious belief and flag-humping appeals to "patriotism" - which sells well to the religious, who venerate authority of all kinds.

Joe, for example, appears to be a major Israel-worshipper (which ties into the religious stuff, which ties into patriotism/militarism - and thus, support for McSame).

He ought to be a laughing stock by now. Who the hell cares what an unlicensed $40k pipe sweater thinks about foreign policy, for creep's sake?

Staff

Re: Joe the Plumber is an idiot - or a plant

I was wondering when you'd get around to addressing this one. While I would like to believe that an average guy would have the guts to ask a dope like Obama a few pointed questions, something doesn't smell right about the way McCon brought Joe the plumber into the national debate.

On the other hand, there is absolutely no evidence that Obama's tax policies will help people like him or me for that matter. Obamas income threshold has dropped from $250k to $120k in less than a month. That is dangerously close to affecting a single person like me assuming those top figures are for a married couple. I literally cannot afford to pay more taxes even if I was getting something in return for them.

I have to disagree with the last comment. Of course, they don't care about what a $40k pipe sweater thinks, but if the person is articulate and intelligent, they damned well should. I am not saying either about Joe, but I will agree that he is possibly a plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry
    I was wondering when you'd get around to addressing this one. While I would like to believe that an average guy would have the guts to ask a dope like Obama a few pointed questions, something doesn't smell right about the way McCon brought Joe the plumber into the national debate.

On the other hand, there is absolutely no evidence that Obama's tax policies will help people like him or me for that matter. Obamas income threshold has dropped from $250k to $120k in less than a month. That is dangerously close to affecting a single person like me assuming those top figures are for a married couple. I literally cannot afford to pay more taxes even if I was getting something in return for them.

I have to disagree with the last comment. Of course, they don't care about what a $40k pipe sweater thinks, but if the person is articulate and intelligent, they damned well should. I am not saying either about Joe, but I will agree that he is possibly a plant.
    Yep!

I've written this before, but again (and just to be clear):

I do not like or support (as a matter of principle) either progressive (that is, unequal) taxation or taxation (for individuals) higher than 15-20 percent (in total).

However, that is theory/principle. In practice/reality, we have system under which the very affluent often pay less (as a percentage of income) than working and middle class people (in part because the very rich obtain a great deal of their income from such things as investment/dividend income which is taxed at a different - and often lower - rate than is 1099 and W2 income; in part because the very rich have access to legal help and loopholes that middle and working class people don't).

That is FUBAR.

If we are going to have unequal taxation, then as I see it, the burden on middle and working class people shouldn't be more onerous than it is for the very affluent. By which I mean, a person earning, say, $100k feels it a helluva lot more when he loses 35 percent of his income to taxes vs. the guy with an income of $1 million taxed at the same (or lower) rate. The former is able to pay day-to-day expenses, but it's much harder to save a significant amount or to achieve financial independence, even after 30-plus years of work. The latter still has hundreds of thousands left over - and unless he spends it living like a pasha - with prudence can be financially secure/independent after just a few years of earning such an income; he has money to invest - and so on.

My preference would be that none of us- regardless of income - pays more than 15-20 percent. But since that isn't about to happen anytime soon, I favor policies that are more reasonable.

Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Yep!

I do not like or support (as a matter of principle) either progressive (that is, unequal) taxation or taxation (for individuals) higher than 15-20 percent (in total).

However, that is theory/principle. In practice/reality, we have system under which the very affluent often pay less (as a percentage of income) than working and middle class people (in part because the very rich obtain a great deal of their income from such things as investment/dividend income which is taxed at a different - and often lower - rate than is 1099 and W2 income; in part because the very rich have access to legal help and loopholes that middle and working class people don't).

That is FUBAR.

If we are going to have unequal taxation, then as I see it, the burden on middle and working class people shouldn't be more onerous than it is for the very affluent. By which I mean, a person earning, say, $100k feels it a helluva lot more when he loses 35 percent of his income to taxes vs. the guy with an income of $1 million taxed at the same (or lower) rate. The former is able to pay day-to-day expenses, but it's much harder to save a significant amount or to achieve financial independence, even after 30-plus years of work. The latter still has hundreds of thousands left over - and unless he spends it living like a pasha - with prudence can be financially secure/independent after just a few years of earning such an income; he has money to invest - and so on.

My preference would be that none of us- regardless of income - pays more than 15-20 percent. But since that isn't about to happen anytime soon, I favor policies that are more reasonable.
    I do, too. I just don't think that will happen in an Obama administration coupled with a demonrat congress.

What we are going to get instead is crippling levels of taxation and a rapid expansion of government all around.

I am not saying that a McCon administration would be any better partly because the jerk sides with liberal democrats most of the time and will claim that he was "forced into it" by the democrats in congress... the usual cockeyed excuses from a vermin cockroach minded Republican.

McCon will raise taxes on the working class while giving tax breaks to the rich. Obama will soak the middle class as well while giving his rich friends an "out" in the tax department. Actually, congress will write the tax legislation and the president will sign it.

We're fucked either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Yep!

That is FUBAR.

I do, too. I just don't think that will happen in an Obama administration coupled with a demonrat congress.

What we are going to get instead is crippling levels of taxation and a rapid expansion of government all around.

I am not saying that a McCon administration would be any better partly because the jerk sides with liberal democrats most of the time and will claim that he was "forced into it" by the democrats in congress... the usual cockeyed excuses from a vermin cockroach minded Republican.

McCon will raise taxes on the working class while giving tax breaks to the rich. Obama will soak the middle class as well while giving his rich friends an "out" in the tax department. Actually, congress will write the tax legislation and the president will sign it.

We're fucked either way.
    Yeah, I'd say that about covers it - unfortunately....