Thread: More car features to hate

Staff

More car features to hate

While in Fort Knox, KY, I drove a 2009 Honda Accord rental. The car was extremely smooth and somewhat quick, even with the standard 4 cyl engine, however, I grew to hate the car for a couple of reasons:

1. The seat belt minder - The damned thing would go off while you were driving if you left your seat belt unbuckled. It was a nag. I fastened my belt, but didn't feel any less likely to get in a wreck than before. I wish they would do away with that crap.
    2. The radio/climate control pod. Instead of having separate radio controls, we were turning the volume down on the radio instead of adjusting the airflow and vice versa.
    3. The damned car had Daytime Running Lights. These ones were particularly annoying since the dash light came on with the DRLs. The headlights were an ugly shade of orange until you turned on the main headlights.

For those reasons alone, I would never buy a Honda Accord. Even though the car was smooth, quiet and handled decently, I was happy to get into my 2001 Saturn L100. The Accord is a bland, uninspiring automobile. This car makes a Buick look exciting.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: More car features to hate

Quote Originally Posted by Henry
    While in Fort Knox, KY, I drove a 2009 Honda Accord rental. The car was extremely smooth and somewhat quick, even with the standard 4 cyl engine, however, I grew to hate the car for a couple of reasons:

1. The seat belt minder - The damned thing would go off while you were driving if you left your seat belt unbuckled.
    2. The radio/climate control pod. Instead of having separate radio controls, we were turning the volume down on the radio instead of adjusting the airflow and vice versa.

For those reasons alone, I would never buy a Honda Accord. Even though the car was smooth, quiet and handled decently, I was happy to get into my 2001 Saturn L100. The Accord is a bland, uninspiring automobile. This car makes a Buick look exciting.

Virtually every 2009 model year car has that %$@!!! seat belt chime. I hate it, too....

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Virtually every 2009 model year car has that %$@!!! seat belt chime. I hate it, too....
    Of course, my 2009 Vibe has it also. However with my impared hearing I can't hear it at all!

[Of course, that's not a problem as I've been a fervent seat belt user since 1958. It was a relief to have them OEM installed, so as to not have to buy and install them myself.]

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis
    Of course, my 2009 Vibe has it also. However with my impared hearing I can't hear it at all!

[Of course, that's not a problem as I've been a fervent seat belt user since 1958. It was a relief to have them OEM installed, so as to not have to buy and install them myself.]

If I ever buy a new car, that buzzer's the first thing I'm gonna rip out! ;D

1. The seat belt minder - The damned thing would go off while you were driving if you left your seat belt unbuckled. It was a nag. I fastened my belt, but didn't feel any less likely to get in a wreck than before. I wish they would do away with that crap.
    3. The damned car had Daytime Running Lights. These ones were particularly annoying since the dash light came on with the DRLs. The headlights were an ugly shade of orange until you turned on the main headlights.

Every new car has a seat belt warning, it's a gov't mandate.

Honda's got DRLs now? Hopefully you can get the dealer to turn them off. I haven't noticed Hondas among the many cars that drive around with their headlights on all the time. If you don't like DRLs, then you have to avoid all GM, VW, Volvo, Saab, and I think some Toyota products.

Your 2001 Saturn has DRLs.

"Every new car has a seat belt warning, it's a gov't mandate."

Really? Nissan must not be paying attention. All its cars are still free of the buzzer.

(I have a brand-new 2009 Pathfinder outside.... no buzzer. Just a blinking light.)

Staff

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel

Your 2001 Saturn has DRLs.
    Yeah, it does. I disabled them.

Really? Nissan must not be paying attention. All its cars are still free of the buzzer.

(I have a brand-new 2009 Pathfinder outside.... no buzzer. Just a blinking light.)
    Notice I said "warning", with no mention of whether it was audible or visual...

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel

Notice I said "warning", with no mention of whether it was audible or visual...
    Oh, ok.... lawyerly out, eh? ;D

I think Nissan is the only major automaker that doesn't include the damn buzzer. Ford started it years ago with its "Belt Minder" system....

Staff

I will absolutely not buy a car with one of those installed... or I will find the little buzzer and rip it out from the dash.

It's too bad since they use the same buzzer for key in the ignition.

I will absolutely not buy a car with one of those installed... or I will find the little buzzer and rip it out from the dash.

It's too bad since they use the same buzzer for key in the ignition.
    Me, either.

I think - at least - that defeating it is pretty simple.

Mine softly goes "ding ding ding".