Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Buying a Nash in 1954

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC, USA
    Posts
    3,628

    Buying a Nash in 1954

    From the Library of Virginia's Rice Collection.
    Take a look at the mileage on the poster behind the woman.


    http://www.flickr.com/photos/library...ia/2898496299/

    Chip H.

    Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

  2. #2
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,741

    Re: Buying a Nash in 1954

    Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    From the Library of Virginia's Rice Collection.
    Take a look at the mileage on the poster behind the woman.


    http://www.flickr.com/photos/library...ia/2898496299/

    Chip H.
    Very interesting!

    Of course, the Nash probably weighed around 3,000 lbs. - and had an engine in the 60 hp range....

  3. #3
    Administrator Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lincolnshire, United Kingdom.
    Posts
    3,421

    Re: Buying a Nash in 1954

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    From the Library of Virginia's Rice Collection.
    Take a look at the mileage on the poster behind the woman.


    http://www.flickr.com/photos/library...ia/2898496299/

    Chip H.
    Very interesting!

    Of course, the Nash probably weighed around 3,000 lbs. - and had an engine in the 60 hp range....
    here are a few facts I dug up about the Metropolitan. Strangely enough, Di and I went to a local farm open day where there were a few vintage/veteran cars. Amongst them was a very original and very smart Nash Metropolitan - we still see them occasionally but not all that often, especially as mint as the one at the farm was.



    NASH METROPOLITAN SPECIFICATIONS


    Top Speed 75 mph (120 km/h)

    0-60 mph (0-96 KM/H) 24.1 sec

    ENGINE TYPE V8 (??)

    DISPLACEMENT 91 ci (1,489 cc)

    TRANSMISSION 3-speed manual

    MAXIMUM POWER 52 bhp (39 kW) @ 4,500 rpm

    MAXIMUM TORQUE 69 lb ft (94 Nm) @ 2,100 rpm

    WEIGHT 1,885 lb (856 kg)

    ECONOMY 38 mpg (13.4 km/l)


    Now from my recollection the engine was not a V8 but a 1500cc inline four cylinder. There could be a difference between the US and UK models as our were built under licence by Austin. I could not imagine, however, that the US, the land of 'grunt' would produce a V8 with only 1500cc.
    Other specs I have seen put the power down to around the 47bhp mark but, as the performance figures seem to be about the same it could be the difference between 'At the wheels' and 'Crankshaft' measurements.

    Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

  4. #4
    Senior Member misterdecibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Posts
    3,408

    Re: Buying a Nash in 1954

    Of course the Metro had a 4-cylinder engine! The car was essentially just a Nash/Pininfarina body on an Austin A-40. It could be had with either an A-Series or B-Series engine.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC, USA
    Posts
    3,628

    Re: Buying a Nash in 1954

    Who owns the Nash name these days?
    I would guess Chrysler, but could also be GM.

    Chip H.

    Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

  6. #6
    Senior Member misterdecibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Posts
    3,408

    Re: Buying a Nash in 1954

    Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    Who owns the Nash name these days?
    I would guess Chrysler, but could also be GM.


    Chrysler

  7. #7
    D_E_Davis
    Guest

    Re: Buying a Nash in 1954

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    Now from my recollection the engine was not a V8 but a 1500cc inline four cylinder. There could be a difference between the US and UK models as our were built under licence by Austin. I could not imagine, however, that the US, the land of 'grunt' would produce a V8 with only 1500cc.
    Other specs I have seen put the power down to around the 47bhp mark but, as the performance figures seem to be about the same it could be the difference between 'At the wheels' and 'Crankshaft' measurements.
    FYI, the smallest general production V-8 in the US was the Ford of 1937-1939. It was 136 Cu In (2.228 liters), and rated at 60 HP. That engine became the "standard" in midget car racing for many years.


  8. #8
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,741

    Re: Buying a Nash in 1954

    Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel
    Of course the Metro had a 4-cylinder engine! The car was essentially just a Nash/Pininfarina body on an Austin A-40. It could be had with either an A-Series or B-Series engine.
    Yep - and note: Even then, a 60-ish hp four was capable of 40 mpg. Imagine what could be done today....

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC, USA
    Posts
    3,628

    Re: Buying a Nash in 1954

    I'm just wondering if the car that will save Chrylser will be a Metropolitan.
    More stylish than a K-Car -- like a MINI (note the white roof on the photo above?)

    Chip H.

    Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

  10. #10
    Senior Member misterdecibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Posts
    3,408

    Re: Buying a Nash in 1954

    That poster is from the Mobil Economy Run.

  11. #11
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,741

    Re: Buying a Nash in 1954

    Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    I'm just wondering if the car that will save Chrylser will be a Metropolitan.
    More stylish than a K-Car -- like a MINI (note the white roof on the photo above?)

    Chip H.
    My personal opinion is that the market no longer exists to support the Big Three. The pie - once divided more or less between GM, Ford and Chrysler - is now fought over by, what, a dozen different automakers? Each with their own full line of vehicles. It's a classic example of over-capacity and something's gotta give.

    Chrysler's a goner.... and GM & Ford are going to have to re-do their business model from the ground up. Both companies are still acting as if it was 1970 instead of 2009.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Kwozzie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia
    Posts
    2,072

    Re: Buying a Nash in 1954

    Mempory lane....
    We had thise Nash Metropolitians in NZ

    Form memory White sidewall tyres were the fashion too
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Similar Threads

  1. CAROLE NASH - A real biker's insurance company.
    By Ken in forum On Two Wheels
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2010, 05:02 PM
  2. Reasons for not buying
    By chiph in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-12-2010, 01:15 PM
  3. Memory Lane: Mercedes-Benz SL series (1954-present)
    By Eric in forum Classic Car Corner
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-18-2007, 06:23 PM
  4. Buying a new car
    By ducky1776 in forum New Car/Truck Reviews
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-23-2006, 04:24 AM
  5. Mercedes-Benz SL series (1954-present)
    By Eric in forum Classic Car Corner
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-23-2006, 10:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •