Thread: Garage security

Garage security

Since gas prices are flying skyward, and I've got some expensive tools, I'm thinking of getting a watch dog. I looking at buying this one but it sort of gives me the creeps. Which is why the guy wants to sell it.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Re: Garage security

Quote Originally Posted by grouch

Since gas prices are flying skyward, and I've got some expensive tools, I'm thinking of getting a watch dog. I looking at buying this one but it sort of gives me the creeps. Which is why the guy wants to sell it.

That dog is really creepy, with what looks like cold looking human eyes it's an Island of Dr. Moreau freak. It probably would scare away thiefs but could scare away most of your friends too. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Pete

That dog is really creepy, with what looks like cold looking human eyes it's an Island of Dr. Moreau freak. It probably would scare away thiefs but could scare away most of your friends too. ;D
    That is a clever bit of photo morphing. My guess is that the 'artist' stopped the programme half way through a man to dog morph. Really is creepy though!

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete

"Island of Dr. Moreau" (with Marlon Brando) is one of the most hilarious/awful sci-fi movies of the past 20 years! Remember the Mini-Me piano scene?

Not everybody has a large garage. Mine is larger than normal. I found a kennel that sells dogs for smaller garages and apartments.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

On a serious note:

I have been thinking about garage security for some time. My garage is not so secure. Both garage doors have windows; the door to the garage has lots of glass - and there are three large (man size) casement windows. Breaking in would be a simple matter of breaking some glass.

In this garage I keep thousands of dollars' worth of tools, my antique muscle car, my antique bike, two modern bikes plus a lot of other stuff.

Even though we live in a rural area, well off any major road - in a county where everyone is armed to the teeth and likely to shoot - the fact remains that it would be child's play to rob me blind, if I happened not to be home one day....

I know for certain that I will replace the main door (the one with lots of glass) with one that has none - as well as a deadbolt and extra-thick (kick-proof) material, etc.

And I have been thinking about putting up iron "+" bars on the casement windows, though that will be a PITAS and I hate that I have to turn my place into Fort Apache.

But I'd hate to get robbed of probably $100k worth of stuff, too! ???

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    On a serious note:

I have been thinking about garage security for some time. My garage is not so secure. Both garage doors have windows; the door to the garage has lots of glass - and there are three large (man size) casement windows. Breaking in would be a simple matter of breaking some glass.

In this garage I keep thousands of dollars' worth of tools, my antique muscle car, my antique bike, two modern bikes plus a lot of other stuff.

Even though we live in a rural area, well off any major road - in a county where everyone is armed to the teeth and likely to shoot - the fact remains that it would be child's play to rob me blind, if I happened not to be home one day....

I know for certain that I will replace the main door (the one with lots of glass) with one that has none - as well as a deadbolt and extra-thick (kick-proof) material, etc.

And I have been thinking about putting up iron "+" bars on the casement windows, though that will be a PITAS and I hate that I have to turn my place into Fort Apache.

It does sound as though your garage is quite vulnerable, Eric. The use of bars across casement windows, securely bolted to the interior brickwork is certainly recommended. If you fit 'Up & Over' doors there are some good devices for preventing the doors being opened i.e. the Datatool Fortress 3, PJB Garage Defender etc. Also with 'Up & Over' it is recommended to fit additional bolts at the sides of the door as well. With convential swing opening garage doors additional heavy duty hinges, bolted on, and with the ends of the bolts peened over, are a good bet and multiple locking is also advisable. When fitting padlock hasps I use bolts for fixings where possible, or the heaviest screws I can fit, and coat them liberally with Araldite when fixing them. A good alarm is also a prerequisite and need not cost the earth, the Motrax PIR Alarm in the Demon Tweeks catalogue retails at around 25/$48.

One word of caution, though. All the usual precautions will deter the opportunist thief only, if a pro or semi-pro wants whatever you have got he will get it. Over here someone recently had padlocked metal gates removed with an oxy-acetylene cutter and then the whole front of a reinforced bike shed removed (by passing all the special locks and bolts) and a chained, immobilised, alarmed and ground anchored, bike taken.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

On a serious note:

My friend with the '72 Mustang put a metal gate across his garage entrance (it was a semi-enclosed garage). He has a separate windowless shed for his tools (air compressor, etc). He's got a similar situation as you -- he lives in a rural area where everyone is heavily armed, yet he's caught people on his property who had stopped by "just for a look".

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

On a serious note:

When I built my garage, the only window faces the street where the Sheriff comes by regularly. I would have liked to put it where the wind could blow through but that would have been on a blind side and would have just asked for trouble. When the floor was puored, I had several mounts for heavy steel rings installed. If someone tried to steal the Benz, they would go about 4 feet before the heavy duty chain came up short. I have only forgotten about it once.It's only a matter of a minute or so to unlock the chain and put it out of the way.

Generally though, strang cars get a lot of attention around here. There has been one sucessful burglary. In the last 5 years there were numerous attempts by people just driving through. I've got some nosey old women neighbors who watch EVERYTHING. I have no doubt the one would react like the old lady in the Clint Easwood film "Any Whichway but Loose".
    Honk if you love Jesus.

On a serious note:

When I built my garage, the only window faces the street where the Sheriff comes by regularly. I would have liked to put it where the wind could blow through but that would have been on a blind side and would have just asked for trouble. When the floor was puored, I had several mounts for heavy steel rings installed. If someone tried to steal the Benz, they would go about 4 feet before the heavy duty chain came up short. I have only forgotten about it once.It's only a matter of a minute or so to unlock the chain and put it out of the way.

Generally though, strang cars get a lot of attention around here. There has been one sucessful burglary. In the last 5 years there were numerous attempts by people just driving through. I've got some nosey old women neighbors who watch EVERYTHING. I have no doubt the one would react like the old lady in the Clint Easwood film "Any Whichway but Loose".
    Love the ring idea!

If our house had been built for us (we're the second owners) I would have done that, too.

This topic got me to thinking - and I ended up doing an article on it; see the Consumers board.... lemme know if I missed something!

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    It does sound as though your garage is quite vulnerable, Eric. The use of bars across casement windows, securely bolted to the interior brickwork is certainly recommended. If you fit 'Up & Over' doors there are some good devices for preventing the doors being opened i.e. the Datatool Fortress 3, PJB Garage Defender etc. Also with 'Up & Over' it is recommended to fit additional bolts at the sides of the door as well. With convential swing opening garage doors additional heavy duty hinges, bolted on, and with the ends of the bolts peened over, are a good bet and multiple locking is also advisable. When fitting padlock hasps I use bolts for fixings where possible, or the heaviest screws I can fit, and coat them liberally with Araldite when fixing them. A good alarm is also a prerequisite and need not cost the earth, the Motrax PIR Alarm in the Demon Tweeks catalogue retails at around 25/$48.
    Very good suggestions, Ken. I presume the "Araldite" is something similar to the Locktite brand. Insted of that, I suggest the use of Elastic StopNuts instead. Just as effective as a locking compound, and much easier to remove if you want to make changes.

D_E_Davis

...And I have been thinking about putting up iron "+" bars on the casement windows, though that will be a PITAS and I hate that I have to turn my place into Fort Apache...
    The "burgler bars" need not be unattractive - you just have to shop around a bit.

Love the ring idea!
    If our house had been built for us (we're the second owners) I would have done that, too.
    This topic got me to thinking - and I ended up doing an article on it; see the Consumers board.... lemme know if I missed something!

A friend saw them and liked the idea too. You can use a hammer drill and masonry bit to drill through the concrete and insert the mount in the concrete. When the ring is srewed into it, the mount will expand. Not as strong as mounting it in concrete as it's poured but effective none the less. That plus very sensitive motion detector lights make my garage fairly safe.
    Honk if you love Jesus.