Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oil in there

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
    What makes you assume the oil pan is the problem?

-Don-

He has (I think) a leaky rear main seal...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Hi Larry,

These leaks (on '70s-era GM V-8s) are common and, indeed, fairly characterized as "normal." I would adopt a watch and wait strategy, since (as I recall) you don't drive this vehicle extensively. Just check underneath the car before you start her up (to look for unusual/increase leaks/puddles) and check the oil level on the dipstick once a week - and top as necessary.

You might also go down to your local GM dealer (any brand of GM) and ask whether they still sell a seal conditioner oil additive. GM used to make/market a product that would help make seals in older cars less brittle/leaky. You just added the can of additive to the crankcase.

I'm going to try STP engine oil additive. What advice do you have regarding the STP additive? The label says it rejuvenate seals and gaskets and directs to add entire bottle to oil, run engine for 15 minutes and drain at normal oil change interval. Will it help on only one application?. Why not leave the STP in there? Or add another bottle to each oil change until the leaks seem to stop?

Don:
    Have you ever try STP engine oil additive to stop those leaks you once mentioned not too long ago?

Dom:

>>>Later down the road, say when you have 200K on the motor<<<

Are you kidding? took me 30 plus years to rack up 53K!!!

Larry

"Are you kidding? took me 30 plus years to rack up 53K!!!"

That's amazing. Must be nice to drive so little!

I have some experience with additives, most the time they don't work. Unless you are trying to quiet down something, say a rear-end with some saw dust, or a top engine noise with some super thick honey like oil.

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

DonTom
    "Don:
    Have you ever try STP engine oil additive to stop those leaks you once mentioned not too long ago?"

Yes, and several others. I couldn't tell the difference if they were used or not with any of them. I hope you have better luck but I think you will find those quick fixes among the countless other items sold for cars that do nothing.

-Don- (Reno)

Unhappy

He has (I think) a leaky rear main seal...

"He" also have a leaky front seal (at the harmonic balancer) as evidenced by thin spraying of oil on the garage floor right beneath the fan belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Adachi View Post
    I'm going to try STP engine oil additive. What advice do you have regarding the STP additive? The label says it rejuvenate seals and gaskets and directs to add entire bottle to oil, run engine for 15 minutes and drain at normal oil change interval. Will it help on only one application?. Why not leave the STP in there? Or add another bottle to each oil change until the leaks seem to stop?

Don:
    Have you ever try STP engine oil additive to stop those leaks you once mentioned not too long ago?

Dom:

>>>Later down the road, say when you have 200K on the motor<<<

Are you kidding? took me 30 plus years to rack up 53K!!!

Larry
    I have never used STP and can't vouch for its effectiveness, but it has been around for decades - and almost certainly isn't going to hurt anything. Give it a try - and let us know!

"He" also have a leaky front seal (at the harmonic balancer) as evidenced by thin spraying of oil on the garage floor right beneath the fan belt.

And/or the timing cover too!

I really wouldn't worry unless you have puddles (not drips) and those puddles are getting bigger. Every single GM car of that era I have owned (half a dozen Chevys, two Pontiacs) drips/leaks/seeps oil. This includes cars with relatively low mileage/rebuilt engines - like my current TA. Even though that thing sees less than 2,000 miles of use annually, I still have to wipe down/degrease the engine every now and then. The bottom end area (oil pan, timing cover/balancer area) invariably starts to get a little greasy after a few months, no matter what I have tried!

I think the only way you can get cars of that era to be completely tight and leak-free is to never fill them with oil and never drive them!

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    "Are you kidding? took me 30 plus years to rack up 53K!!!"

That's amazing. Must be nice to drive so little!

I have some experience with additives, most the time they don't work. Unless you are trying to quiet down something, say a rear-end with some saw dust, or a top engine noise with some super thick honey like oil.
    The only additive I use is Comp Cam's flat tappet cam additive - http://www.compcams.com/information/...ryID=833414428 - which contains some of the additives (zinc and manganese) that have been reduced or eliminated entirely from most motor oils, for emissions reasons. New cars have roller-type cams so they are fine, but older (mostly, anything built before the mid-1980s) cars with flat tappet camshafts might suffer excessive premature wear, even catastrophic failure, without the additive package. Some say the stuff is only critical with a newly rebuilt engine - at break-in. But I am not taking any chances. A bottle costs me about $7 at each oil change (which I do twice each year on the TA).

How much does a replacement 455 Pontiac cost? (Hint: rebuildable cranks are running $600-$800).

Larry: Your engine has a flat tappet camshaft; you might want to buy some of this additive.
    Last edited by Eric; 12-19-2008 at 06:54 AM.

Attn.Eric.

>>>.......and almost certainly isn't going to hurt anything. Give it a try and let us know<<<

I certainly will. I'll be keeping a journal. When I next change oil, I'm going to pour in another bottle of STP. If it doesn't WORK to my expectation, I hope it won't do any HARM to the engine.

Okay, I'll try that Comp cam additive but I don't think they are available around here in Honolulu. Can I buy some online?

Larry

Attn.Eric.

>>>.......and almost certainly isn't going to hurt anything. Give it a try and let us know<<<

I certainly will. I'll be keeping a journal. When I next change oil, I'm going to pour in another bottle of STP. If it doesn't WORK to my expectation, I hope it won't do any HARM to the engine.

Okay, I'll try that Comp cam additive but I don't think they are available around here in Honolulu. Can I buy some online?

Larry
    I think there is zero chance of the STP causing any harm. That stuff has been available for as long as I have been alive and in all these years of messing with cars and being involved in he industry I have never once heard of any problem caused by using STP. It may not do anything especially positive, of course - but it's not gonna hurt anything.

As for the Comp Cams additive: Yes, you can buy online; that's how I do it. Follow the link in my earlier message. You can order directly from Comp Cams....

I think there is zero chance of the STP causing any harm. That stuff has been available for as long as I have been alive and in all these years of messing with cars and being involved in he industry I have never once heard of any problem caused by using STP. It may not do anything especially positive, of course - but it's not gonna hurt anything.

As for the Comp Cams additive: Yes, you can buy online; that's how I do it. Follow the link in my earlier message. You can order directly from Comp Cams....
    I went to the web site to order.They asked for my e-mail address and they wanted me to type a code exactly the way they had it displayed in the dialog box.It was "CO86". I typed it in exactly, BUT, after 4 or 5 attempts, I gave it up because each time an "error" message would come up. I'll try and phone them tomorrow. How much do they cost? Can I order only one or two bottles?

Larry

DonTom
    "I went to the web site to order.They asked for my e-mail address and they wanted me to type a code exactly the way they had it displayed in the dialog box. It was "CO86"."

Are you sure the display didn't change after each entry you tried to enter? That's quite common. And sometimes it's a stupid change that's hard to notice such as an 0 changing to an O.

IMAO, there are certain letters and numbers that should never be used in those things such as 8,0, o,Q, I, l, 1 as they can often look like other letters or numbers, especially in those weird displays they ask you to type in. IMAO, such numbers / letters should not even be used in serial numbers.

-Don-

Larry
    Back in the long distant and heady days, when I used to tune BMC trasnsverse engine for autocross and rally, I always assembled a rebuilt motor using a liberal 50/50 mix of oil of Duckhams Q20/50 and STP on all moving components and the bores. I advised my customers to use Duckhams and add STP, at each oil change, as instructed on the tin. I used it in all my own engines and having, unwittingly, run my Cooper at high speed for a good twelve miles with no water (big hole where the bottom of the radiator should have been ) - with no resultant damage to the engine - I always swore by it.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Don,
    >>Are you sure the display didn't change after each entry you tried to enter?<<

The displays were all the same 0n each try. First, C, (#)O, 8 and 6. Then tried "C, (capital letter) O, and then 8 and 6, then "CO8G" but they were all "wrong" so I gave up.

Larry

Sounds like you'll have to do it the old-fashioned way -- pick up the phone and call them.
    ;-)

Chip H.

DonTom
    Don,
    >>Are you sure the display didn't change after each entry you tried to enter?<<

The displays were all the same 0n each try. First, C, (#)O, 8 and 6. Then tried "C, (capital letter) O, and then 8 and 6, then "CO8G" but they were all "wrong" so I gave up.

Larry
    Did you try CO8G as well as C08G?

-Don-

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
    Did you try CO8G as well as C08G?

-Don-

That I did so will be phoning them tomorrow.

I have never used STP and can't vouch for its effectiveness, but it has been around for decades - and almost certainly isn't going to hurt anything. Give it a try - and let us know!
    Today is Day 17 and 70 miles since I started the STP additive and notice no significant dipstick level drop plus less drippings on the floor. Previously there were three (3) oil drip spots but now only one (1), so I think it may be working. I only poured 4/5th of the bottle since pouring all would have brought the dip stick level over the "full" mark.

Will be updating more info later.

ChevyMan

Today is Day 17 and 70 miles since I started the STP additive and notice no significant dipstick level drop plus less drippings on the floor. Previously there were three (3) oil drip spots but now only one (1), so I think it may be working. I only poured 4/5th of the bottle since pouring all would have brought the dip stick level over the "full" mark.

Will be updating more info later.

ChevyMan
    Excellent news!

Hopefully, the STP is working by making some of the brittle/cracked and leak prone gaskets, etc. more pliable and your oil issue will be history...

Here is Day 22 since pouring STPadditive in the crankcase and for the past few days I have noticed no oil drips on the concrete garage floor EXCEPT directly under the oil pan drain plug. My guess is the old drain plug gasket might be leaking since I can't tighten it any more and it's still leaking there. Also no evidence of leakage under the fan belt pulley.

ChevyMan

More updates later.