Thread: Japan is a strange place

Japan is a strange place

Zoo officials practicing for when a rhino escapes from it's exhibit.

Actually, I'm thinking "what a great halloween costume".

Chip H.
    Last edited by dom; 11-09-2008 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Youtube links can be included using BB code, but just use the last part of the url after the "="

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Smile Awesome

What's so strange about that? My wife is Japanese and we practice this drill at least once a month. j/k

You have the strange part right though. I lived in Japan for 10 years and I could talk for days about the things I found strange there.

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    Zoo officials practicing for when a rhino escapes from it's exhibit.

Actually, I'm thinking "what a great halloween costume".

Chip H.
    Japan is one of the very few foreign countries I'd be willing to endure another long plane trip to see!

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    What's so strange about that? My wife is Japanese and we practice this drill at least once a month. j/k

You have the strange part right though. I lived in Japan for 10 years and I could talk for days about the things I found strange there.

I always marvel about how English is used in Japanese advertising but not with proper usage or diction. I saw a bottle of shampoo called Mypee once.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Japanese Names

I was at a bar one night (last time I was in Japan) called "Grass Roots" in Kitakyushu. A really small place, but the owners there were super cool and let me bar tend for fun and free drinks.

Anyhow, was sitting at the bar talking to some ladies and proceeded to ask one of their names. I was like "What's your name," or "O namae wa?" She replied, "Me Hoe," Japanese "Miho." I had to concentrate not to laugh.

Turns out, that is a super popular name there!

-Mussolini

I was at a bar one night (last time I was in Japan) called "Grass Roots" in Kitakyushu. A really small place, but the owners there were super cool and let me bar tend for fun and free drinks.

Anyhow, was sitting at the bar talking to some ladies and proceeded to ask one of their names. I was like "What's your name," or "O namae wa?" She replied, "Me Hoe," Japanese "Miho." I had to concentrate not to laugh.

Good one!

Back in high school, I knew this Korean guy whose name - I scheisse you not - was Wang Bang!

Nice.

My first roommate in college was named Bong. He changed it while we were living together though.

-Mussolini

D_E_Davis

Also the name of at least one large town. Miho did the heavy maintenance on our planes, in the 50s, and the Golden Bear was the most popular club with us GIs who were on R&R.

I think these guys sum it up pretty well.

-Mussolini

More proof.

Chip H.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    More proof.

Chip H.

Bu... what's it for?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Bu... what's it for?
    That's why it's strange.

What other country has people dressing up as a vending machine?

Chip H.

Smile Going to the gym in Japan

Okay, so we all know it is customary to remove your shoes when you enter a lot of places in Japan. This is easy to accept, say when going to someone's house or a fancy restaurant. We actually have a no shoes policy in my home.

Let me tell ya'll about going to the gym (dom's account).

First you must bring two pairs of shoes, you can't wear the same shoes you wore there to workout in. When you first enter you take your street shoes off, walk across the lobby with no shoes on (carrying both your street shoes and workout shoes). Then you place your street shoes in an open faced locker/box type thing. Walk across the lobby again, show your card, then walk to the locker room to change. When you are in the locker room you are still barefooted/socked. If you decide, while in the locker room, you need to use the restroom. You then need to slide on one of the few pairs of community sandals (they have there pair usually), doesn't matter which one you choose, they are all half the size of your foot (actually not even). So there you are standing in the community scandals trying to releave yourself (same scandals that have been worn by people all day just for peeing an pooing). I am not even going to get on the subject of a hole in the floor for a toliet, that will be part of another post/thread one day. Then you are finished, you take the scandals back off, and walk though the locker room then across the lobby, then to the workout area. Now you can put your workout shoes on. You have to be careful you don't need to get anything from the locker room, or use the bathroom again, because you will have to remove you shoes again.

So you finish up your workout, take your shoes off, walk across the lobby into the locker room, change clothes, maybe slide the community scandals on again if you need to use the toliet area. Then you leave the locker room, walk across the lobby, grab your other shoes (street shoes), walk to the door and sit down and put your street shoes back on.

If you are not on top of things when you visit the gym, you can very easily spend a lot of time playing the shoe game!

It reminds me a lot of the farmer riddle with the chicken, chicken feed, and the dog that was trying to cross a river.

-Mussolini

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Good one!

Back in high school, I knew this Korean guy whose name - I scheisse you not - was Wang Bang!

One guy I went to school with went by J.B. He wouldn't tell anyone either his real first or even his last name. About a week later a substitute teacher called him by his legal name. Jim Beam.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.