Thread: Be careful posting pictures of Toyotas

Be careful posting pictures of Toyotas

http://torrentfreak.com/toyota-claims-ownership-081114/

In perhaps one of the most wildly arrogant demands in DMCA history, Toyota’s lawyers are demanding the withdrawal of all wallpapers that feature a Toyota, Scion, or Lexus. The site’s owner, Harry Maugans contacted Toyota to clarify. He was told that all images featuring Toyota vehicles should be removed, even images with copyright belonging to others.
    Chip H.

There could be some underlying issue which is the real cause of the snit they are having.

At one point, maybe still, there was an effort by a manufacturer to copyright its designs in order to constrain the after market parts business. That may not be such a bad idea since a lot of after market body parts don't fit properly.

Staff
    who would want to photograph a Toyota, anyway? Their cars are only slighly less ugly than Krispy Kreme donut models.

Maybe we could all get together and buy some Toyota RAV4 wallpaper for JDM's bedroom?

D_E_Davis
    Quote Originally Posted by robmcg View Post
    Maybe we could all get together and buy some Toyota RAV4 wallpaper for JDM's bedroom?
    Better yet, locate such wallpaper then send that location so that JDM could pay for it himself.

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis View Post
    Better yet, locate such wallpaper then send that location so that JDM could pay for it himself.
    I worry about our JDM.

While he understands irony, we know that he would prefer shooting empty beercans on some suthrin estate.

With this in mind, here is a 1960 Pullman in Britain, where guns were unknown, and an extra engine has been put at the head of a relief Pullman from King's Cross to Newcastle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfjvfbthsPE

In real life the whistles were different, single-tone 'peeps' ..higher-pitched, but we make allowances for the US market... in any event, a late train, maybe because of engine failure, with the dirty mixed-traffic engine taking the bulk of the work, and the head-end engine doing some work to get back to its home shed at Grantham.. 12 minutes late, the signalman has held a suburban tran and a branchline train, and as the train comes into view the driver gives a whistle, then one short sound as the driver on the 5MT recognises the kids, train late, beating-on towards the 70mph average required.
    There are whistles which evoke the real anger, but I have yet to match them to toy trains.
    The train goes by, then a 1928 engine newly painted with a British Railways 1951 logo goes by with a mix of freight, some of it unbraked...

here is another sound sample. Pay no attention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mElX9...eature=channel

Rob
    Last edited by dom; 11-19-2008 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Added the BB code around the suffix of the url. i.e., [youtube]wfjvfbthsPE[/youtube]

D_E_Davis
    Quote Originally Posted by robmcg View Post
    I worry about our JDM.

While he understands irony, we know that he would prefer shooting empty beercans on some suthrin estate.

With this in mind, here is a 1960 Pullman in Britain, where guns were unknown, and an extra engine has been put at the head of a relief Pullman from King's Cross to Newcastle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfjvfbthsPE

In real life the whistles were different, single-tone 'peeps' ..higher-pitched, but we make allowances for the US market... in any event, a late train, maybe because of engine failure, with the dirty mixed-traffic engine taking the bulk of the work, and the head-end engine doing some work to get back to its home shed at Grantham.. 12 minutes late, the signalman has held a suburban tran and a branchline train, and as the train comes into view the driver gives a whistle, then one short sound as the driver on the 5MT recognises the kids, train late, beating-on towards the 70mph average required.
    There are whistles which evoke the real anger, but I have yet to match them to toy trains.
    The train goes by, then a 1928 engine newly painted with a British Railways 1951 logo goes by with a mix of freight, some of it unbraked...

here is another sound sample. Pay no attention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mElX9...eature=channel

Rob
    And I'm sure JDM worries about you (as do I) stuck there as you are on the wrong side of the Equator, and driving a GM car.

Those whistles you mention are high-pitched because they haven't grown to maturity as yet.

I guess a lot of people are upset about this ad. Not sure why, just a business trying to do business.

Last edited by dom; 11-19-2008 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Related article: http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1860403,00.html

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

I've seen those, and the thing that upsets me is that the song is obviously a cover by The Fixx, yet different enough that they won't be paying royalties to the band.

Chip H.
    Last edited by dom; 11-19-2008 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Looks like this video is no longer avaliable.

Ah.. ic.. I was thinking people were upset about a company offering 0% APR at time of crisis (0% is about as good as it gets).

Yeah, I can understand about biting the song though, that sucks.

-Mussolini

Hmm. The video was working earlier today.
    Sorry about that.

Chip H.

Just went and found another copy that works.

The exact same song as the commercial!

Well that is strange. Works on youtube, but not here. Must be some kind of permissions on it.

Here is the link anyhow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swzK7Q8teSM

-Mussolini

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis View Post
    And I'm sure JDM worries about you (as do I) stuck there as you are on the wrong side of the Equator, and driving a GM car.

Those whistles you mention are high-pitched because they haven't grown to maturity as yet.
    Oh, I have listened to US steam whistles, and the heavy stuff has all the appeal of a foghorn. I mean, in proper engines the coal is mined by hand and fired by hand, the engine's steam regulator is a mechanical arm, and the valve setting is by screw and wheel.
    This is why Britain had an empire. None of these effete US luxuries like mechanical coal-pushers, steam reversers, roller-bearings and sound-proofing and air-conditioning, let alone oil-fired steam.
    Large US articulated engines may have a certain charm, but subtlety ain't one of them! Well, actually, the drive rods and and running-gear was actually artistic, but we won't go there. Next you'll be designing DC3s...