Thread: Rob's Windscreen Wind Whistle

Rob's Windscreen Wind Whistle

Some here may remember the problems I have experienced over the years with windscreen whistle at cruising speeds.

Once, with a 1992 Nissan Maxima, I gave up and sold the car, taking a loss of about 3 grand, after replacing the screen and all rubbers it still squealed, to my ear. This was odd because the screen people had even driven it miles on a motorway and heard no noise.

My current car is a 2001 GM Holden (Aus) Commodore VX 5.7 sedan, and it 'whistles' at cruising speed too.

The other day I turned the radio off. The aerial retracted. The whistle went away.

WHY DIDN'T SOMEONE TELL ME ???

Rob

MikeHalloran
    Well, I'm sure glad you figured it out at last.

In my defense, my car's antenna is on a rear quarter and doesn't retract.

Hi Mike, good to see you here.

The odd thing was that several of the many cars I 'went through' 1998-2003 had stalk aerials, powered or otherwise, but only two made a whistle... some cars had more modern? screen-aerials and were silent, e.g. ..from memory, a 1989 300ZXTT was a very fine cruiser and I would have kept it but for being spinal wheelchair etc. entry-egress alone at night was an issue, which was no great issue until 25 years at T5 para.

FWIW the GM Commodore is of a 1997 body-type lauded by testers and ads alike as being torsionally 80% stronger than its 1989-design Opel predecessor, but it resonates like a drum, and when given half-decent factory suspension then the windows rattle on bumps, and door latches and winding-motors, especially if the car has been 'repaired'...

It's as if GM Aus took a shape from Opel GM Euro and tried to make something good, but were prevented from doing the small things right by GM US.. after all, they had no competition in med-large sedans but Ford, and now, fleet buyers look to Korea.

Ironically, Ford (Aus) now do one of the finest medium sedans in the world, a turbo-6 in a derivative from their XF series with 6-speed auto, at around 1/3rd the price of a V8 Lexus.

I pass lots of Lexus (Lexii) on our open Canterbury straight two-lanes. Also unrestored MkII Jags are sometimes seen. Lots of sports bikes. The air is clean and the mountains are near.

Rob (NZ)

If the thing didn't retract, you could probably fit an airfoil to it to reduce noise.
    As well as get a 0.002% speed increase (or the equivalent in fuel efficiency) in cross-winds.

Chip H.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    If the thing didn't retract, you could probably fit an airfoil to it to reduce noise.
    As well as get a 0.002% speed increase (or the equivalent in fuel efficiency) in cross-winds.

Chip H.
    It is good to get access here to leading-edge tech ideas!

I could have used a few making this video, which as well as showing an escaped lunatic, shows a 1945-8 iteration of a British steam engine hauling seven Pullman cars as *may* have happened back then. After 1946-7 new engines got bright paintwork, to cheer people up, since rationing was still in force (until 1953)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6GOM23qmM4

but back to hi-tech wind deflectors, I have found it efficacious to drive only when favoured by a tail-wind.
    Regardless, my 5.7 LS1 sedan averages 9.8l/100kms which is about 75% rural sealed roads, and very little cold running, but occasional full throttle. 90-100km/hr cruising mostly, and familiar cross-town routes with roundabouts and lights during off-peak hours.
    Last edited by robmcg; 11-18-2008 at 03:46 PM.