Thread: My V1 just paid for itself!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

My V1 just paid for itself!

My Valentine 1 radar detector cost $400 - but it just earned its keep by saving me from a huge ticket!

I was headed down the mountain, to Roanoke. To get there, I travel on a lightly used, limited access rural highway with a speed limit of 55. There are several straight and wide-open sections where you can really let it hang out. One of these is just before you begin to descend the mountain; it's a mile of open road where it is tempting (and common) to run 80, 90 or even faster for a minute or so. I was running 80-something at the beginning of this open stretch when the V1 began to shriek. Ka alert; multiple bogeys. I couldn't see anything ahead, but dropped my speed fast to exactly 55. At the end of the stretch, two cops were sitting on the side of the road running radar. I cruised right on by, no fuss, no muss.

If I hadn't had the V1 to save me, I would have hit their trap doing probably 80-85 mph and received a "reckless driving" cite (in Va., simply exceeding the posted max by more than 20 mph is prima facie "reckless driving"). This is a major bust - 6 point ticket if convicted, huge fine, possible loss of license; guaranteed doubling of insurance premium. Getting a lawyer ($800-$1,500) is mandatory to avoid the latter.

So I was very grateful that I said "FU" to VA's ban on radar detectors!

And also that I invested that $400 in the V1! ;D

Staff

Re: My V1 just paid for itself!

You chose the right detector. Mine paid for itself several times over.

Re: My V1 just paid for itself!

Quote Originally Posted by Henry
    You chose the right detector. Mine paid for itself several times over.

Amen.

Every driver should have one!

It felt great to beat the SOBs - even if it only happens once!

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Amen.

Every driver should have one!

It felt great to beat the SOBs - even if it only happens once!
    You'll beat them over and over with that thing!

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    You'll beat them over and over with that thing!
    You are 100 percent right!

That puppy alerted me again the other day. Makes driving half-way fun again.

And - I think I have come up with the perfect "system" to get around the fact that radar detectors are illegal in VA.

I made a Velcro mount that lets me pull it off the dash right quick (and stash it) after it alerts me to the presence of a Johnny.

Keep in mind, I have to move the unit from car to car every week; otherwise, I'd rig up a hidden location (in the grille, say). But this works pretty well, from what I can tell!

Staff
    You are 100 percent right!

That puppy alerted me again the other day. Makes driving half-way fun again.

And - I think I have come up with the perfect "system" to get around the fact that radar detectors are illegal in VA.

I made a Velcro mount that lets me pull it off the dash right quick (and stash it) after it alerts me to the presence of a Johnny.

Keep in mind, I have to move the unit from car to car every week; otherwise, I'd rig up a hidden location (in the grille, say). But this works pretty well, from what I can tell!

I like your method. It is clean. Keep in mind, you are slightly compromising range mounting it on the dash, but I am not sure by how much. I mount mine right underneath the rear view mirror. I don't believe that I would want to mount that thing outside the vehicle since it isn't designed for that. I wish that Valentine would develop a fully concealed kit for the detector. I see putting sensors underneath the grill and in the rear bumper (maybe where those damned backup cams go) for the radar and laser detection. It would be cool to have it hook to the remote display and then maybe talk to a GPS that displays waypoints... It could log the location of the pig trap and then after so many times of passing it, send that data to a remote data base.

Some companies are already doing that, but Valentine so far hasn't jumped on that opportunity. I think that Valentine is waiting to see what will work before committing to it.

The Valentine is rated number one for 16 years because it is simple and keeps the driver informed of potential trouble ahead. It is not foolproof, but it reduces your chances of getting caught by more than 50 percent.

VA may write you a ticket for the detector, if they detect it. However, they do NOT want any appeals on those tickets, and drop the ticket very quickly if you do appeal. They've lost at the federal level about 5 times, and don't want to do it again.

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
    VA may write you a ticket for the detector, if they detect it. However, they do NOT want any appeals on those tickets, and drop the ticket very quickly if you do appeal. They've lost at the federal level about 5 times, and don't want to do it again.
    That is probably very true. The problem is that cops often use one violation to prove another. You may get lucky and get two separate court dates on each ticket, making it tougher for the prosecution to recall the other ticket.

ItsallaboutME
    My Valentine 1 radar detector cost $400 - but it just earned its keep by saving me from a huge ticket!

I was headed down the mountain, to Roanoke. To get there, I travel on a lightly used, limited access rural highway with a speed limit of 55. There are several straight and wide-open sections where you can really let it hang out. One of these is just before you begin to descend the mountain; it's a mile of open road where it is tempting (and common) to run 80, 90 or even faster for a minute or so. I was running 80-something at the beginning of this open stretch when the V1 began to shriek. Ka alert; multiple bogeys. I couldn't see anything ahead, but dropped my speed fast to exactly 55. At the end of the stretch, two cops were sitting on the side of the road running radar. I cruised right on by, no fuss, no muss.

If I hadn't had the V1 to save me, I would have hit their trap doing probably 80-85 mph and received a "reckless driving" cite (in Va., simply exceeding the posted max by more than 20 mph is prima facie "reckless driving"). This is a major bust - 6 point ticket if convicted, huge fine, possible loss of license; guaranteed doubling of insurance premium. Getting a lawyer ($800-$1,500) is mandatory to avoid the latter.

So I was very grateful that I said "FU" to VA's ban on radar detectors!

And also that I invested that $400 in the V1! ;D
    I own one of these babys! Its paid for itself 5 times at least. Love it love it.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsallaboutME View Post
    I own one of these babys! Its paid for itself 5 times at least. Love it love it.

Excellent!

Every driver ought to have one. Fight back!

The initial cost may seem like a lot, but once you own one - and it saves you from even a single big ticket - you will realize it was money very well-spent!