Thread: V1 saved me again this afternoon!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Cool V1 saved me again this afternoon!

I do love my V1 radar detector!

Driving into town today on US 221 (the major road that bisects the county; speed limit is 55 but traffic is typically moving 60-65 except for the occasional old person or farm vehicle) I was cruising along at my usual 70-ish when the V1 went "hot." I instantly slowed to a nice n' legal 55-ish and, shortly thereafter, the Oinker appeared coming the other way. Squeeeeeeaaaal!

But not today, buddy!

Staff
    Great job, Eric.

It is always nice to be able to sniff them out before they show up.

I am looking into enhancing my V1 with a Cheetah Speed mirror which ties to the V1 and has locations of speed and red light cameras stored in its memory. You can download them off the internet into the mirror every month to keep the unit up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Great job, Eric.

It is always nice to be able to sniff them out before they show up.

I am looking into enhancing my V1 with a Cheetah Speed mirror which ties to the V1 and has locations of speed and red light cameras stored in its memory. You can download them off the internet into the mirror every month to keep the unit up to date.
    I just wish I had bought this thing a couple years sooner!

Seriously - it is some of the most well-spent money you will ever spend. Mine has saved me from at least two tickets so far. Had I been busted for those, it'd have been around $300 in ticket/court costs, plus the inevitable insurance "surcharge" - which often amounts to a 10 (or even 20 percent) hike in your annual premium. And it will stay hiked for as long as the ticket is on your record, too - which is three years in most states.

Anyone who drives a lot - and who doesn't rigidly follow the speed limit virtually all the time - needs to invest in one.

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I just wish I had bought this thing a couple years sooner!

Seriously - it is some of the most well-spent money you will ever spend. Mine has saved me from at least two tickets so far. Had I been busted for those, it'd have been around $300 in ticket/court costs, plus the inevitable insurance "surcharge" - which often amounts to a 10 (or even 20 percent) hike in your annual premium. And it will stay hiked for as long as the ticket is on your record, too - which is three years in most states.

Anyone who drives a lot - and who doesn't rigidly follow the speed limit virtually all the time - needs to invest in one.
    I have been sporting a V-1 for almost a decade. The only times I got tickets were when the detector was not on or when I was driving a rented car.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    I have been sporting a V-1 for almost a decade. The only times I got tickets were when the detector was not on or when I was driving a rented car.
    Last ticket I got I didn't take the V1 with me.

I was taking the wife to the airport on a Saturday morning; we drove there in a Toyota Sequoia SUV that had been dropped off for me the day before. About 5 miles from our place, on the same road mentioned in my first post (US 221) we were descending a steep grade behind two other cars. Asshole state cop coming the other way turns around and pulls me over; cites me for 64 in a 55.

What a ferret.

Now, much as I rail against tickets, I usually don't bitch much when I get caught doing considerably over the limit. I understand it's hard for a cop to let that slide.

But 64 on this road is well within the normal flow of traffic. The guy was just being an asshole. He could have - should have - let me off with a warning after checking my license (at that point, still ticket-free for years) and paperwork, etc. I was perfectly polite, too - assuming he would do just that - until I realized he was going to write me. Then I basically wigged out and all but told him to go fuck himself.

I would have loved to stomp him. He was a little shit who probably gets off on having his badge and uniform. makes him feel important. In all honesty, I would not be upset if I read later on that some thug had shot this POS dead.

I wouldn't stop to piss on him if he was burning alive in a wrecked car.

I hate cops like this. They are useless eaters.
    Last edited by Eric; 11-27-2008 at 09:00 AM.