Thread: eBay cheesiness

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

eBay cheesiness

Guys,

Check out this '76 TA for sale on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ponti...ht_45699wt_954

Now, this is a very nice car - but my BS detector was triggered by three things I noticed from the pictures....

This car supposedly has only 14k miles on it and is advertised as "all original," and yet -

* Incorrect/newer tires (Eagle GTs). What happened to the factory tires? Surely, with only 14k on the clock, they weren't worn out?

* The paint looks suspicious - specifically, the accent pinstripes, which are very similar to the '79 10th Anniversary TA's. I know '76 TAs pretty well and I do not recall such stripes being offered from the factory. I suspect the car has been repainted at least once.

* The engine color is not correct. 1976 TA engines were painted a deep metallic blue similar to "AMC blue." This car has the (incorrect) early baby blue. Why would such a low mileage car not be wearing its correct/original engine color?

Stuff like this goes to show ya how important it is to be careful when shopping a classic car - especially online. I was able to spot these three significant red flags just by looking at pictures. I wonder what might turn up by actually inspecting the car in person?

The thing that troubles me is the seller is advertising this car as a near-perfect/unmolested original with very low miles - and has priced it accordingly.

From what I can see, he is being inaccurate at the least - dishonest at worst.

Caveat emptor!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Guys,

Check out this '76 TA for sale on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ponti...ht_45699wt_954

Now, this is a very nice car - but my BS detector was triggered by three things I noticed from the pictures....

This car supposedly has only 14k miles on it and is advertised as "all original," and yet -

* Incorrect/newer tires (Eagle GTs). What happened to the factory tires? Surely, with only 14k on the clock, they weren't worn out?

* The paint looks suspicious - specifically, the accent pinstripes, which are very similar to the '79 10th Anniversary TA's. I know '76 TAs pretty well and I do not recall such stripes being offered from the factory. I suspect the car has been repainted at least once.

* The engine color is not correct. 1976 TA engines were painted a deep metallic blue similar to "AMC blue." This car has the (incorrect) early baby blue. Why would such a low mileage car not be wearing its correct/original engine color?

Stuff like this goes to show ya how important it is to be careful when shopping a classic car - especially online. I was able to spot these three significant red flags just by looking at pictures. I wonder what might turn up by actually inspecting the car in person?

The thing that troubles me is the seller is advertising this car as a near-perfect/unmolested original with very low miles - and has priced it accordingly.

From what I can see, he is being inaccurate at the least - dishonest at worst.

Caveat emptor!

The exterior paint job looks good but the external appearance is not matched elsewhere. The engine compartment presentation is very poor and there is a lost of rust on the under hood components. The trunk carpet is very rough and dirty, also there is a fair amount of rust on the spare. The engine looks as though it has possibly been rebuilt and 'blown over' with a fresh coat of paint. Some of the hoses look new whilst others look well past their prime. My guess is that it is a 114Kmile car, second time round the clock, not a 14K mile as advertised, that has been pimped up, possibly by a previous owner. I would not touch it with a bargepole.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    The exterior paint job looks good but the external appearance is not matched elsewhere. The engine compartment presentation is very poor and there is a lost of rust on the under hood components. The trunk carpet is very rough and dirty, also there is a fair amount of rust on the spare. The engine looks as though it has possibly been rebuilt and 'blown over' with a fresh coat of paint. Some of the hoses look new whilst others look well past their prime. My guess is that it is a 114Kmile car, second time round the clock, not a 14K mile as advertised, that has been pimped up, possibly by a previous owner. I would not touch it with a bargepole.

Ken.
    Me either.

My car (also a '76) looks 90 percent as nice - and it has appx. 60,000 total miles on it.