Thread: Charlotte gunshow

Charlotte gunshow

Went to Charlotte today to meet up with some friends and go to the gunshow.

Wow. What a madhouse.

20-30 minute line to get in. And once you were inside, it was just shoulder-to-shoulder people.

And all of them were buying. Pretty much anything tactical. Ammunition was also high on people's list, it seems.

I saw the new FN FS2000 bullpup carbine at the show -- pretty nice, but I'm a little doubtful as to it's spent-cartridge ejection. Instead of throwing them out to the side (which is difficult in a bullpup design, especially for left-handers) it has an internal channel and spits them out the fore end.

It's a very space-age design, as well. Not sure a badguy would take you seriously enough with one (until you shot him, that is, and then you're *really* in trouble with the law)

Chip H.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post

Wow. What a madhouse.

20-30 minute line to get in. And once you were inside, it was just shoulder-to-shoulder people.

And all of them were buying. Pretty much anything tactical. Ammunition was also high on people's list, it seems.

I saw the new FN FS2000 bullpup carbine at the show -- pretty nice, but I'm a little doubtful as to it's spent-cartridge ejection. Instead of throwing them out to the side (which is difficult in a bullpup design, especially for left-handers) it has an internal channel and spits them out the fore end.

It's a very space-age design, as well. Not sure a badguy would take you seriously enough with one (until you shot him, that is, and then you're *really* in trouble with the law)

Chip H.
    Our gun shows are usually crowded also - but I bet even more so since the election!

This makes me feel good, since it means there are lots of people out there who are armed and not going down easily...

Chip H.
    Hm, looks like it ran into the back of a truck.

Ken.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

It's a legal barrel length.

Look at where the magazine gets inserted behind the grip. The black 'hump' on the top of it, behind the rear sight, flips up for you to inspect the chamber.

Chip H.

It's a legal barrel length.

Look at where the magazine gets inserted behind the grip. The black 'hump' on the top of it, behind the rear sight, flips up for you to inspect the chamber.

Chip H.
    I was only commenting on the somewhat 'squashed' look. I guess the look is amplified by the solid block effect from stockplate to foregrip. Quit a nice weapon for close combat work as it is obviously close coupled and highly manouverable. I haven't looked at the spec but I imagine it should be effective up to 750 to a 1000 yards or so. My last full bore was an SMLE Lee Enfield, .303 bore and quite acccurate at 1000 yards.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

I think 500 yards is about what you could expect out of something like this. The barrel is of legal length -- barely. Which means it's just over 16" long.

I think FN built it to fulfill the role of a carbine for support troops (cooks, truck drivers, etc). Those who need a rifle, but aren't likely to engage the enemy at long ranges.

They also have the P90 (PS90 for civilians). I've shot this one, and it's very nice. But it's oddball caliber (5.7x28mm) means supply problems for a military unit. Thus the FS2000 with it's NATO standard 5.56mm round and commonly available M-16 style magazines.

Chip H.

I think 500 yards is about what you could expect out of something like this. The barrel is of legal length -- barely. Which means it's just over 16" long.

I think FN built it to fulfill the role of a carbine for support troops (cooks, truck drivers, etc). Those who need a rifle, but aren't likely to engage the enemy at long ranges.

They also have the P90 (PS90 for civilians). I've shot this one, and it's very nice. But it's oddball caliber (5.7x28mm) means supply problems for a military unit. Thus the FS2000 with it's NATO standard 5.56mm round and commonly available M-16 style magazines.

Chip H.
    Yep, see what you mean, Chip. The SMLE, or Smellie' as it was known had a 25" barrel and could be used up to 2000 yds. The longest range I used it was on the 1000yds Century range at Bisley. The last time I was there, many years ago, we had a box of 'time-ex' ammo which we decided to use up by seeing how long we could stay on-target, at 1000 yds, whilst firing standing up. After about thirty shots, rapid fire, it was quite difficult to keep the shots in the target area of the shooting panels. This was with open sights, not scopes.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.