Thread: Our FUBAR priorities...

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Our FUBAR priorities...

Check this out: The government is planning to spend $58 million on a memorial to Flight 93 at the crash area in PA (and is apparently about to seize the land, to boot). Fifty eight million - to fund another 9/11 memorial.

Am I alone in finding this screwy?

How much tax relief would $58 million buy? How much road improvement? How many schools could $58 million build? Police hired/funded? Etc.

Hell, why not just give each Flight 93 victim's family $1 million each instead - and use the difference for something productive?

Here's the story:

Relatives of those who died aboard United Airlines Flight 93 want the Bush Administration to seize the land needed for a memorial where the plane crashed in Shanksville, Pa., in the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

The Families of Flight 93 sent a letter earlier this month asking President George W. Bush to empower the Secretary of the Interior to take the land in dispute from a homeowner who had been in negotiations with the National Parks Service, said Patrick White, vice president of the families' organization.

The group says ground must be broken early next year in time for a memorial to be build for the 10th anniversary of the crash in 2011.
    Svonavec Inc. owns one of the last large chunks of land needed for the 2,200-acre memorial, including the area where the plane crashed Sept. 11, 2001. Svonavec's treasurer Mike Svonavec has said the park service has not done enough to negotiate a deal.

White said Svonavec has not been willing to negotiate, and called that unacceptable.

"We've certainly sought to do this within in the process, following protocol as much as we possibly can," White said Saturday. "It has gotten to the point where we fear we'll lose significant momentum.

"We have an administration that has been very supportive of this effort. We just wanted to make sure the president is aware of what the circumstances are. ... We just didn't want to get lost in the shuffle."

In October, the National Park Service said it would use an independent appraiser to determine the value of 275 acres of land needed for the memorial. The NPS also said it could use eminent domain to acquire the plot if all else fails.

Construction of a $58 million permanent memorial and national park is scheduled to begin in 2009.

White, whose cousin Louis Nacke II died on Flight 93, said the group would favor Bush giving the interior secretary or director of park services the power to take the necessary steps to acquire the land before the administration leaves office in January.

He said the families understand that the outgoing president has plenty to do in his final weeks in office. But White pledged that the group would carry its fight to the Obama Administration, if needed.

"I think the rest of the family members and I feel there is no point at which we will stop," White said. "Whatever it takes. As long as it takes. Whoever it takes. To do anything less would be doing a disservice to those that we love."

Flight 93 was en route from Newark, N.J., to San Francisco on Sept. 11, 2001, when it was diverted by hijackers. The official 9/11 Commission report said the hijackers crashed the plane as passengers tried to wrest control of the cockpit.

Staff
    Tax relief is the last thing that we ought to be thinking about, especially since this country is drowning in red ink and tax breaks by their nature usually go to rich people named Bush and Kennedy. *They probably cheat on their taxes anyway.

I'm sorry, but a Flight 93 Memorial is about as desirable as a hangnail. We seem to have memorials for everything these days. Outside of the ugliness of discount shopping centers, casual dining establishments, McMansions, and spoooooorrrrrts fields, this country has way too many memorials for national tragedies.

Hell, they haven't even finished with the 9/11 memorial.

I wouldn't mind seeing memorials for Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, great industrial pioneers, the Founding Fathers, and true freedom fighters who lost their lives advancing the cause of freedom in THIS country (and maybe for our allies). For the rest of us, an individual plot at a cemetery will do.

I feel bad for the victims of the events on 9/11, but it isn't particularly an event that we should commemorate with a memorial.

2200 acres for a memorial is OBSCENE! If the government is truly feeling money burning a hole in its pocket, it should use that land to lease to someone who could get this country off of oil so that another 9/11 would be a lot harder to do.
    Last edited by swamprat; 12-28-2008 at 06:08 PM.

I read this article a bit ago, and read 220 acres (obviously I misread). Then I just read Swamprat's reply with 2200 acres and had to re-check.

What the hell are they thinking?

I have a friend who owns a car shop, he has a 700 acre farm. I have known him for 12 years and been to his place a million times dirt biking and riding atvs. I have not even seen half his property because it is so big, and have actually tried. Mind you this guy has a full scale farm, a few dirt bike/atv tracks, and a drive way that will take you 20 mins to walk down.

Sounds more like a national forest (2200 acres), or a national park. Holly shetz!

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.