Thread: Replacing a paid-for car?

Replacing a paid-for car?

Since I'm still looking for work, I've been having morbid thoughts like "What if someone hit & total-lossed my car? Could I afford to replace it with something just as nice?"

And the answer is no, I couldn't.

I did a search on autotrader.com, which allows you to search all makes & models based on price. In my case, I searched for pickups and SUVs under $6000, which is actually somewhat above what my 9 year old Honda CR-V would be worth to the insurance company.

All the vehicles were 2-4 years older than mine, had same or higher mileage, and had spotty quality reputations. Except for one Nissan pickup, which on closer examination, had:
    - both rear quarter panels were dented (and rusting)
    - holes in the rear of the cab where the owner had removed his stereo amps
    - a large steel bracket under the front console, to prevent his aftermarket stereo being stolen (amazingly ugly, and didn't work -- it was gone)
    - cheap tires

So, if anyone else hasn't done this exercise, take the time. It's an eye opener, especially for someone who takes care of their cars.

Chip H.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    Since I'm still looking for work, I've been having morbid thoughts like "What if someone hit & total-lossed my car? Could I afford to replace it with something just as nice?"

And the answer is no, I couldn't.

I did a search on autotrader.com, which allows you to search all makes & models based on price. In my case, I searched for pickups and SUVs under $6000, which is actually somewhat above what my 9 year old Honda CR-V would be worth to the insurance company.

All the vehicles were 2-4 years older than mine, had same or higher mileage, and had spotty quality reputations. Except for one Nissan pickup, which on closer examination, had:
    - both rear quarter panels were dented (and rusting)
    - holes in the rear of the cab where the owner had removed his stereo amps
    - a large steel bracket under the front console, to prevent his aftermarket stereo being stolen (amazingly ugly, and didn't work -- it was gone)
    - cheap tires

So, if anyone else hasn't done this exercise, take the time. It's an eye opener, especially for someone who takes care of their cars.

Chip H.
    I'm in the same boat!

My '98 Nissan is in excellent shape, cosmetically as well as functionally. It looks only about 5 years old - and everything works (including the AC).

It would be tough to find something equivalent for what I'd get if someone hot me and totaled it... .

I think that is always true.

If nothing else you get a double tap on the sales tax, once when buying the old one and again when replacing it.

Buying new and driving the thing until it is no longer reliable works for me.

You're stuck.

Between ages 30 - 45 I was very fortunate to inherit "uncle/grand pa" cars. These were large "land yacht's / ghetto cruisers / tuna boats" call them what you may they were really nice cars with 30-40 K on the odometer.

The nicest car was about an '85 Electra - loaded - mint. A moron ran a red light. All I got for a 10 yr old mint condition car was $5,000.

All I can say is "watch you a**."