Thread: Would you spend money for this?

Would you spend money for this?

I had an idea in the shower this morning (where all the best ideas come from!)

With times being tough, people are looking to keep their current car running rather than buy new. But a lot of people don't have the knowledge/confidence to do repair work themselves.

So what if.. there were a website that had videos and diagnostic decision trees to help you find out what's wrong with a car and how to fix it?

They'd pick their problem (heater not working), the site would then work them through a troubleshooting process (do you have coolant? Are any fuses blown?), showing photos of component locations & videos of complex operations (removing part of the dash to get to plenum parts), etc.

Individuals would subscribe to individual car model-years (because that's what they have) on a one-time or monthly basis. Small shops might also buy annual subscriptions.

So, would you pay money for this online service? If so, how much?

Chip H.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    I had an idea in the shower this morning (where all the best ideas come from!)

With times being tough, people are looking to keep their current car running rather than buy new. But a lot of people don't have the knowledge/confidence to do repair work themselves.

So what if.. there were a website that had videos and diagnostic decision trees to help you find out what's wrong with a car and how to fix it?

They'd pick their problem (heater not working), the site would then work them through a troubleshooting process (do you have coolant? Are any fuses blown?), showing photos of component locations & videos of complex operations (removing part of the dash to get to plenum parts), etc.

Individuals would subscribe to individual car model-years (because that's what they have) on a one-time or monthly basis. Small shops might also buy annual subscriptions.

So, would you pay money for this online service? If so, how much?

Chip H.

The idea, on the face of it seems good, Chip. It would need to be very carefully set up otherwise the litigation possibilities are endless. I can see the situation - 'There was no mention of making sure the engine was cold before removing the pressure cap your honour.' 'When I undid the last bolt, as described, and slid the gearbox back it fell on my chest and broke two ribs - they did not mention that my gearbox weighed one hundred eighty pounds.' Believe you me, Chip, I am not joking. Last year we had a case where a man sued because he spilt his fresh coffee and scalded himself - there was no displayed notice warning that the (hot) coffee would be HOT! - he won!

I seem to remember that here, at one time, we had workshops where people could learn to perform their own maintenance task under guidance. I have a feeling that they have all gone under though. I think a good few people would welcome the sort of scheme you visualize but sound legal advice would be a pre-requisite. I would think that a 'Payment Per Task' scheme would be best rather than a monthly contribution as, in the current climate people are tending to buy only that which they need.

FWIW.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.