Thread: Dealing with car / RV dealers

DonTom

Dealing with car / RV dealers

When I was young and dumb and purchased my first used car (1971 Chevy Malibu 307 CID in 1975), I did not know what to expect dealing with car dealers. I still remember making an offer several hundred bucks below the asking price. I do NOT remember the real numbers, so the numbers used here will be just for an example.

Say the asking price then was $4,000.00. I counter offer $3,300.00. After a lot of their typical nonsense, the sales guy says he has to talk to the manager. The manger comes back and tells me the very lowest possible price they can accept is $3,693.72. They make it look like they have a lowest price possible figured to the penny and I was then dumb enough to fall for it.

Now, I want to tell you how we handled buying the RV. Tom did all the talking (he is MUCH better at this than I am). They ask $21,000. Tom says we will pay $17,000.00 and not a cent more. As usual, the sales guy complains but says he will check with the manager. As expected, the saleman comes back with the manager with a blue book in hand. Before the manager can open his mouth, Tom yells at him "I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE SEEING THE BLUE BOOK, I WON'T EVEN LOOK AT IT AND PLEASE DON'T TELL ME! I WON'T PAY MORE THAN $17,000.00 REGARDLESS!!!

Then the manager says he cannot accept the $17,000 we offered. But he can accept $18,000.00. Tom still says no deal. Then the manager tried $17,500.00. Still no deal. When we were ready to leave, we got it for the $17,000.00 (these are the real prices here, because I can still remember two days back!).

When Tom bought our 2002 Ford Mustang, it sure looked like there was no deal. They did not call us back until Tom & I got in our car and started the engine to go home! There, we really thought we had no deal! I didn't expect them to come running out to us then!

I hate trying to negotiate a price. But Tom loves it. That's the way it used to be done just about everywhere in Hong Kong in the 1960's and before (but not any more).

I really think in both of these cases we really got the lowest price we could get away with. But we decided the price, not them.
    -Don- (Reno, NV)

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
    When I was young and dumb and purchased my first used car (1971 Chevy Malibu 307 CID in 1975), I did not know what to expect dealing with car dealers. I still remember making an offer several hundred bucks below the asking price. I do NOT remember the real numbers, so the numbers used here will be just for an example.

Say the asking price then was $4,000.00. I counter offer $3,300.00. After a lot of their typical nonsense, the sales guy says he has to talk to the manager. The manger comes back and tells me the very lowest possible price they can accept is $3,693.72. They make it look like they have a lowest price possible figured to the penny and I was then dumb enough to fall for it.

Now, I want to tell you how we handled buying the RV. Tom did all the talking (he is MUCH better at this than I am). They ask $21,000. Tom says we will pay $17,000.00 and not a cent more. As usual, the sales guy complains but says he will check with the manager. As expected, the saleman comes back with the manager with a blue book in hand. Before the manager can open his mouth, Tom yells at him "I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE SEEING THE BLUE BOOK, I WON'T EVEN LOOK AT IT AND PLEASE DON'T TELL ME! I WON'T PAY MORE THAN $17,000.00 REGARDLESS!!!

Then the manager says he cannot accept the $17,000 we offered. But he can accept $18,000.00. Tom still says no deal. Then the manager tried $17,500.00. Still no deal. When we were ready to leave, we got it for the $17,000.00 (these are the real prices here, because I can still remember two days back!).

When Tom bought our 2002 Ford Mustang, it sure looked like there was no deal. They did not call us back until Tom & I got in our car and started the engine to go home! There, we really thought we had no deal! I didn't expect them to come running out to us then!

I hate trying to negotiate a price. But Tom loves it. That's the way it used to be done just about everywhere in Hong Kong in the 1960's and before (but not any more).

I really think in both of these cases we really got the lowest price we could get away with. But we decided the price, not them.
    -Don- (Reno, NV)
    Tom knows the game - he's not taking any of their BS - I love it!

DonTom
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    After the deal was made, we were all laughing about it. Tom jumping the gun on the manager they did not expect.

Of course, even after the deal was made, they still try to sell us all types of nonsense. Like checking out all the stuff and making sure it works and fixing whatever doesn't (inside the unit, such as the refrigerator, furnace, etc). I explained that I am a technician and I did not care what works, I will fix it all myself, if necessary. They charge $999.99 for this (a thousand bucks). And then they try to sell me the Tyron tire protection and when we say "no", they drop the price and we still say "no". I cannot even remember all the other things they tried to sell me. But I asked if they could do an engine oil change before I pick it up. They didn't seem too interested. It's low to the ground and I would rather have them do it than drive it home with the old engine oil. They never really gave me an answer if they would do it or not. I don't care if that will cost me a hundred bucks, I still want it done. But if they can't or won't do it, I will just bring a couple of quarts of engine oil and see if I can jack it up enough to do it myself when I get it here in Reno. I remember it takes 5W30, which I already have at both homes. The RV is about a quart and a half below full, or perhaps a half quart below min. I assume it still will be when I pick it up, but I will check and see if I need to add any.

I asked in the RV forum about the Tyron tire protection and I will start another thread later about that and more in the care car section when I have time.

Will be driving back to SSF in a half hour or so.

-Don- (Reno, NV)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I just love it when someone beats them at their own game. I love to haggle on anything but the delectable Diane gets all embarrassed and wishes the ground would open up and swallow her. A couple of years ago I spent ten minutes haggling for (and got) a ten cent discount off an item that was already discounted by 75%, (Diane waited outside the shop).

I spent two and a half years in Egypt and learnt the art of haggling there. It was nothing to spend maybe a week or a fortnight bargaining over something that only cost $100 if one paid the full price. Also, in the markets and shops of Ismailia it was a way of making very good friends.

Ken.
    Last edited by Ken; 01-11-2009 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Typo.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

I couldn't believe they pulled out the Blue Book on you.

When you go to trade in a car, if you mention "Well, the Blue Book says the car is worth $3800", they'll say "Well, the Blue Book people aren't buying your car, are they?"

It would have been awesome to hear Tom turn the tables on them with this: "The Blue Book people aren't the ones buying this RV, are they?"

Chip H.

Staff
    That is how I am going to make my next major purchases (if I even bother).

Right now, dealers are starving and will probably take almost any semi-serious offer. I will not take the rum-dum tactics that they tried to shove down my throat in the past.

The best deals are made in a lousy economy if you are willing to be tough.

Only when people get smart with their money will the economy eventually recover (if that ever happens).

DonTom
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    I couldn't believe they pulled out the Blue Book on you.

It would have been awesome to hear Tom turn the tables on them with this: "The Blue Book people aren't the ones buying this RV, are they?"
    Chip H.
    I like that! I will remember that for next time. Maybe next time we will let the manager show us the bluebook! We can then say "then try to sell it to the bluebook people at that price!".

-Don- Reno