Thread: Sexy stuff - Braids and Double Hs.

Sexy stuff - Braids and Double Hs.

Decided today it was time I spent some more of my 'Christmas Present' money.

After an exchange of emails, a quick run to B & C Express in Potterhanworth, near Lincoln and I was able to collect a full bike set of EBC HH brake pads and a set of HEL stainless steel braided hoses. Then a phone call to a local bike shop that has links to my bike club and, next Wednesday the bike goes in for the brake system to be drained, stripped, properly cleaned and then rebuilt with all the new goodies. I know it is a relatively simple job, but it is a mucky job and, thanks to my advanced years I am excused 'Mucky'.

As I've mentioned before, the brakes on my CBR6RR-7 are definitely not up to scratch and I suspect contaminated pads. I fitted HH pads and braided hoses to my old CBR6FW and the difference, especially on the track at Cadwell, was impressive. At the moment, on the new bike, I cannot get the rear wheel off the deck with a full four finger grip, on the 2008 6RR and the 2009 Fireblade I test rode a short while ago a light two fingered squeeze was easily enough to get the rear wheel hopping.

So, all being well, next week the brakes should be back 'as new' and then some! - watch this space and I will tell all. Then all that is left is to finish the rest of the annual service and roll on Spring and all that glorious riding weather.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Decided today it was time I spent some more of my 'Christmas Present' money.

After an exchange of emails, a quick run to B & C Express in Potterhanworth, near Lincoln and I was able to collect a full bike set of EBC HH brake pads and a set of HEL stainless steel braided hoses. Then a phone call to a local bike shop that has links to my bike club and, next Wednesday the bike goes in for the brake system to be drained, stripped, properly cleaned and then rebuilt with all the new goodies. I know it is a relatively simple job, but it is a mucky job and, thanks to my advanced years I am excused 'Mucky'.

As I've mentioned before, the brakes on my CBR6RR-7 are definitely not up to scratch and I suspect contaminated pads. I fitted HH pads and braided hoses to my old CBR6FW and the difference, especially on the track at Cadwell, was impressive. At the moment, on the new bike, I cannot get the rear wheel off the deck with a full four finger grip, on the 2008 CBR6RR and the 2009 Fireblade I test rode a short while ago a light two fingered squeeze was easily enough to get the rear wheel hopping.

So, all being well, next week the brakes should be back 'as new' and then some! - watch this space and I will tell all. Then all that is left is to finish the rest of the annual service and roll on Spring and all that glorious riding weather.

Ken.

As I had posted, above, my CBR6RR was going into the workshop to have a set of HEL stainless steel braided hoses and new EBC HH pads fitted all round. I have been unhappy with the brakes on the bike for some time and riding it back to back with a brand new CBR6RR-8 and a 2009 Fireblade confirmed that all was not as it should be. One finger was all that was needed on both bikes for normal stopping, on my bike I was having to use four fingers, hard!

Yesterday bike and bits delivered to Sneckspeed, Jan, the co-owner, drove me back to my place and would pick me up when the job was finished in a couple of hours or so.

Phone call from Paul, the fitter - ‘We’ve got a problem, Ken. The hoses are far too long.’ Jumped in the car and off to the workshop. No doubt about it the hoses were too long, one by about eight centimeters and the other by about ten. Phone call to B&C, measurements exchanged and they agreed - Oops! - they may have been made to the wrong spec, unusual, they are usually faultless. New set promised by the time I could get there (40 mile round trip).

Arrived as the new set was completed, decided to check the new set against the old set - Oops! again - they were the same length. Spec sheets produced and measurements checked. Both sets of hoses were exactly to spec. Matt the manager cross checked with the spec sheet for a set of Goodrich hoses - the measurements were the same as the HEL ones. The reason for the apparent discrepancy over the phone was that my guy was measuring banjo to banjo length and the B&C guy was measuring swage end to swage end length. Matt suggested I took the hoses back to the workshop, did a trial fit and marked off the required hose length, B&C would then trim the hoses and fit new banjos. Another forty mile round trip. Back to the workshop, trial fit and required lengths marked off. Back home for the night.

1/22/09 09.00am Set off on, hopefully, the last forty miler, took the marked up hoses to B&C who did a very quick turn round for me, back to the workshop and, it seems, perfection. Why there should be so much difference between the specified length and the length needed on my bike we have no clue and B&C have sold many CBR6RR sets with no queries coming back.

1/22/09 14:30pm. Have just had a phone call to say the bike is finished and transport is on the way to pick me up - will add to this after I have test ridden the bike.

1/22/09 16:30pm. The bike is now back in its shed after a twenty five mile test ride. When I picked the bike up Paul said that he found nothing wrong with the brake system as he stripped it down, the pads were slightly glazed but nothing a couple of hard applications wouldn’t cure, none of the pistons were seized and the calipers were fine. The old hoses were as good as new and there had been no system leaks - BUT and it is a big BUT - although the brakes still need full bedding in, I have ‘One finger’ braking back and I am one happy bunny. I’ve just phoned Paul and said ‘Thanks for a great job mate.’ What had made the brakes so poor is still a mystery to which we may never know the answer, we will probably also never find out why the spec length hoses were too long either.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Wow, that's a lot of work for some parts that had the wrong spec. I'm surprised no one has complained before -- braided hoses aren't cheap.

Or maybe there's a lot of RR's out there with droopy brake lines?

Chip H.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    Wow, that's a lot of work for some parts that had the wrong spec. I'm surprised no one has complained before -- braided hoses aren't cheap.

Or maybe there's a lot of RR's out there with droopy brake lines?

Chip H.

Could well be the case, Chip. Obviously the hoses would fit, 'droopy' would be a good description, but Paul, the fitter, is a real perfectionist - the only way he would fit them was if I gave him a direct instruction, no way was I going to do that, they were obviously too long. We knew that the OE hoses exited the master cylinder towards the rear of the bike via a right angled coupling. If we had fitted the hoses that way (rather than exiting forward as is usual on most bikes) then it would have taken up a lot of the excess BUT, as soon as anywhere near about half lock was applied the hoses touched the frame and tank cover - not acceptable to either myself or Paul. I'm glad I listened to Paul, his installation is really neat and looks as though it was designed to fit that way - which in a way I suppose it was. B&C have supplied many sets of 'RR' hoses and so far I am the only one who has queried what was supplied - they are a great little company and I cannot fault the service they gave me. It intrigues me that both HEL and Goodrich supply specification sheets to their suppliers with identical measurements. I have sent chapter and verse to HEL, unfortunately I headed it 'Purely for information.' so I may, or may not, get a reply. The HEL set I fitted to my old CBR6FW was a perfect fit as have been sets recently fitted to a BMW, an SV650s, a Firestorm and a 'Blade at my bike club.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.