Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: AZ may ditch those god-damned speed cameras!

  1. #1
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,730

    AZ may ditch those god-damned speed cameras!

    State lawmakers have proposed legislation to scuttle Arizona's groundbreaking new program of using speed enforcement cameras on state highways.

    The main sponsor, Republican Rep. Sam Crump of Anthem, said speed cameras are annoying, unfair, intrusive and even dangerous because of backups as motorists abruptly slow down near cameras.

    "It's the No. 1 thing I'm hearing from constituents as well as people outside my district," Crump said Wednesday. "Arizona has a proud heritage of leaving its citizens alone to the greatest sense possible, and I find that the photo radar speed cameras are really a violation of that heritage."

    Passage would shut down a Department of Public Safety program launched in September, believed to be the nation's first such statewide deployment of cameras. A contractor has deployed 69 of 100 planned mobile and stationary cameras that are triggered by radar or other sensors.

    The bill would ban both state or local cameras on state highways but not affect those used by municipalities or counties on local streets and roads.

    Crump said the prohibition could take effect immediately upon the bill becoming law. Or the shutdown could be done in stages by first slashing the fines to only the amount necessary to pay the contractor to satisfy any requirements in the two-year contract, he said.

    More than 300 U.S. communities in 25 states use such cameras, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. They are used in major cities such New York, Atlanta, Baltimore, Chicago, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle and Washington, D.C.

    That bitch Gov. Janet Napolitano, who initially proposed Arizona's program in January 2007, has said the cameras are intended to improve highway safety, but Crump said it's apparent the real motivation is ticket revenue.

    Citations issued under the program carry a $165 fine plus a surcharge, bringing the total to approximately $185.

    A DPS spokesman, Lt. James Warriner, said Wednesday the agency takes no position on the bill but thinks the cameras improve highway safety.

    Secretary of State Jan Brewer, who is expected to become governor next week upon the resignation of Napolitano to become U.S. homeland security secretary, has not staked out a position on the camera program.

  2. #2
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126
    I am also hoping that camerafraud.com is able to get an initiative on the ballot to ban all automated enforcement altogether. A ban on state highways is a half measure as it keeps all red light ticket cameras in place, although I have to admit, I'd take a half loaf instead of nothing.

  3. #3
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,730
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    I am also hoping that camerafraud.com is able to get an initiative on the ballot to ban all automated enforcement altogether. A ban on state highways is a half measure as it keeps all red light ticket cameras in place, although I have to admit, I'd take a half loaf instead of nothing.
    That twat Janet Napolitano is coming to Washington....

  4. #4
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    That twat Janet Napolitano is coming to Washington....
    She will be in charge of snooping. Thank God she won't be in the Transportation Dept.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    That twat Janet Napolitano is coming to Washington....
    Now, now - first of all, Janet publically stated that the fleet of cameras were for revenue - to reinforce that, citations from those just cost money but don't accrue any points. So, you have to give her credit for being honest.

    Second, she's slated to take over Homeland Security. Now, most anyone would be an improvement on Chertov but Janet, at least, understands our southern border and knows how utterly asinine the proposed fencing is.
    Dennis - Tucson

  6. #6
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,730
    Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis View Post
    Now, now - first of all, Janet publically stated that the fleet of cameras were for revenue - to reinforce that, citations from those just cost money but don't accrue any points. So, you have to give her credit for being honest.

    Second, she's slated to take over Homeland Security. Now, most anyone would be an improvement on Chertov but Janet, at least, understands our southern border and knows how utterly asinine the proposed fencing is.
    The one good thing about the economic collapse is that the wave of illegal aliens from Mexico is receding at least somewhat. As things get worse, there is going to be huge pressure to keep them South of the Border, where they belong.

    A country that cannot control its borders is no longer a country; a government that cannot control immigration has confessed either its impotence - or its perfidy.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    The one good thing about the economic collapse is that the wave of illegal aliens from Mexico is receding at least somewhat. As things get worse, there is going to be huge pressure to keep them South of the Border, where they belong.

    A country that cannot control its borders is no longer a country; a government that cannot control immigration has confessed either its impotence - or its perfidy.
    You're right about the tide slackening - there are illegals retreating south since the job market for them has dried up.

    But, to me, the much more important task is stemming the drug traffic. Illegals don't try to ambush our agents with AK-47s.
    Dennis - Tucson

  8. #8
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,730
    Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis View Post
    You're right about the tide slackening - there are illegals retreating south since the job market for them has dried up.

    But, to me, the much more important task is stemming the drug traffic. Illegals don't try to ambush our agents with AK-47s.
    That would be simple - legalization.

    It is insane that we criminalize the non-violent use of some substances arbitrarily labeled "drugs" (but not others, such as alcohol) and put people in prison who have harmed no one (except, perhaps, themselves - but so what? We don't lock up fat people who drown themselves in cheeseburgers, do we?).

    The whole "war on drugs" is a grotesque fraud. Its sole result, intentional or not, is to further this country along the road to a police state while wasting probably trillions better spent elsewhere.

Similar Threads

  1. Red light / speed cameras
    By RebelKnightCSA in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-09-2011, 10:08 AM
  2. Keep it... or ditch it?
    By Eric in forum Advice/Questions/Tips
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-22-2010, 06:55 AM
  3. South Carolina House bans speed cameras
    By chiph in forum Fight Traffic Tickets/Driving Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-01-2010, 04:23 PM
  4. Another reason speed cameras are bad
    By chiph in forum Fight Traffic Tickets/Driving Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-22-2008, 05:07 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-29-2006, 08:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •