Thread: First ride of 09

First ride of 09

I'm going to finally pull the Ultra out of it's winter home today. Last night I went in and did the pre-ride inspection. Checked the oil, tire pressures, belt tension, and fired it up to let it run a while.
    It won't be much of a ride today. I'm just takeing it to the shop to get the 10,000 mile service done on it, A new rear tire and they are going to install the XM sattillite radio. It will be ready for Spring and so will I.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosts08ultra View Post
    I'm going to finally pull the Ultra out of it's winter home today. Last night I went in and did the pre-ride inspection. Checked the oil, tire pressures, belt tension, and fired it up to let it run a while.
    It won't be much of a ride today. I'm just takeing it to the shop to get the 10,000 mile service done on it, A new rear tire and they are going to install the XM sattillite radio. It will be ready for Spring and so will I.
    I have two valve checks to do - one on the old Kaw, one on the new. Also need to flush the raddy-ater on the new Kaw; clutch fluid, too.

But I have been taking the KL250 out on limited forays as weather permits. It's in the high 40s/low 50s here... so getting tolerable!

Enjoy your ride, Mark. My first ride this year, like yours, was for maintenance, going up to get the braids and pads fitted. I've got about seven weeks before the annual is due so, hopefully, the weather will improve enough to get that service in well before the riding season starts. (I will use my Main Dealer until the warranty runs out, then it will probably go up to Jan and Paul.) Today we have sunshine which could last for a couple more days - maybe/maybe not, I'd like some rain first to clean the roads up a bit before taking the Honda any distance, still loads of salt and mud all around here.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

The AMA sanctions the Polar Bear Grand Tour every year - it runs from October to April. A different destination is chosen every Sunday within the NJ, NY, PA, DE area - although most of the rides are in NJ. As a result I never 'winterize' the bike. I just keep a battery tender on it and check the oil and tire pressure regularly. As long as the road surfaces are clear of snow, ice, and/or road salt we usually make the ride. Last Polar Bear ride I made was way back in December, although I have been out on the bike since then.

You know Mark, the shop could be right across the street from your house, but you could make a 200 mile ride out of riding it over there! Enjoy the ride, however long you decide to make it.

http://www.polarbeargrandtour.com/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Piney View Post
    The AMA sanctions the Polar Bear Grand Tour every year - it runs from October to April. A different destination is chosen every Sunday within the NJ, NY, PA, DE area - although most of the rides are in NJ. As a result I never 'winterize' the bike. I just keep a battery tender on it and check the oil and tire pressure regularly. As long as the road surfaces are clear of snow, ice, and/or road salt we usually make the ride. Last Polar Bear ride I made was way back in December, although I have been out on the bike since then.

You know Mark, the shop could be right across the street from your house, but you could make a 200 mile ride out of riding it over there! Enjoy the ride, however long you decide to make it.

http://www.polarbeargrandtour.com/index.htm

Well, the ride was a bit chiily but I still enjoyed the heck out of it. I pulled the bike out around 9:30 this morning. It was a balmy 28 degrees when I fired up and headed out.
    As I got into New Haven, the temps got to be a little more agreeable. I had on my First gear cold weather overalls and a down jacket. I was very comfortable and could have rode all day. Only problem with that was Belva was following me in her Dodge Nitro to give me a ride back and probably would not enjoy a long ride to nowhere as much as I would. While I didn't take the fastest route there, I didn't want to dawdle too much.
    It was only about 45 minutes but at least it somewhat dwindled the effects of PMS. ( parked motorcycle syndrome )

Nice acronym Frosts! P.M.S. HA

I have been trying to ride as much as I could handle this entire winter, which hasn't been much. I rode one day to work in 6 degree weather, that was fun.

Hopefully the weather will hold up and riding season will start early this year.

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post

I have been trying to ride as much as I could handle this entire winter, which hasn't been much. I rode one day to work in 6 degree weather, that was fun.

Hopefully the weather will hold up and riding season will start early this year.
    I went out on the Rex today!

It was in the 50s, so very comfortable with gear on. Also really good for the bike as the cold air helps it make max power. After about half and hour of running up, I began to have some fun. First, some long sweepers on the main county road (55 mph limit) at around 75-80 .. just enough to work the bike a little and keep you awake. Then down two gears entering this wonderful, mile-long open stretch not far from the house. First trip to 150 of 2009! Then, ease into the brakes and take a side road I know to the Parkway for a nice, roundabout 20 mile loop before heading home.

Felt great!

The winter of 1990 I had no choice but to ride to work. There were many days I fired up the Harley in single digit temps. That was no easy feat as that old carburated evo did not like to start in cold temps. It would build up gas in the exhaust untill it would light of sounding like a 30-06 rifle. ( im sure my neigbors loved that at 6:00 am )
    I used to think it was fun but almost 20 years later I would not want to do that again.

The winter of 1990 I had no choice but to ride to work. There were many days I fired up the Harley in single digit temps. That was no easy feat as that old carburated evo did not like to start in cold temps. It would build up gas in the exhaust untill it would light of sounding like a 30-06 rifle. ( im sure my neigbors loved that at 6:00 am )
    I used to think it was fun but almost 20 years later I would not want to do that again.
    Do remember the "Cheech & Chong" movies?

I forget which one it is, but there's a scene I love. Chong gets up and the first thing he does is get on his chopper, which is in the house - with the exhaust plumbed outside, so that the pipe directly faces the (very close by) neighbor's place. He kicks it over and twists the throttle for awhile as part of his morning ritual....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    It was in the 50s, so very comfortable with gear on. Also really good for the bike as the cold air helps it make max power. After about half and hour of running up, I began to have some fun. First, some long sweepers on the main county road (55 mph limit) at around 75-80 .. just enough to work the bike a little and keep you awake. Then down two gears entering this wonderful, mile-long open stretch not far from the house. First trip to 150 of 2009! Then, ease into the brakes and take a side road I know to the Parkway for a nice, roundabout 20 mile loop before heading home.

Felt great!
    Felt Envious!!! Mind you it is getting a bit warmer - could be up to 6 or 7c today.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Well I've been riding some throughout this winter. I'm still envisioning myself riding all the way to Daytona from Chicagoland. I hope to have a good story about the trip and if all goes well I'll be writing up my adventure for all to read. I checked tires,fluids and all seem to be saying go for it. However it's all up in the air if I'll be riding to Daytona or driving my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Well I've been riding some throughout this winter. I'm still envisioning myself riding all the way to Daytona from Chicagoland. I hope to have a good story about the trip and if all goes well I'll be writing up my adventure for all to read. I checked tires,fluids and all seem to be saying go for it. However it's all up in the air if I'll be riding to Daytona or driving my car.
    I have been thinking more and more about getting a highway-worthy Adventure/Touring bike, or even just a nice KLR650.

Something that can handle any weather in reasonable comfort and safety - and which won't break my heart if it gets wet/dirty/laid down (not necessarily in that order!)

Dude, I know you don't like Harleys, Eric.. but my unit is awesome in pretty much all weather. Super easy to work on, it's like a lawn mower, and fun to ride.

And Adam, you are going to have one hell of a trip. I was thinking about making that trip myself, but after talking to all my buddies in the area and hearing them say how they are goinig to trailer their units I decided that was a bad idea.

I mean, it's possible.. but ouch!

-Mussolini

Dude, I know you don't like Harleys, Eric.. but my unit is awesome in pretty much all weather. Super easy to work on, it's like a lawn mower, and fun to ride.

And Adam, you are going to have one hell of a trip. I was thinking about making that trip myself, but after talking to all my buddies in the area and hearing them say how they are goinig to trailer their units I decided that was a bad idea.

I mean, it's possible.. but ouch!
    I don't dislike Harleys - my problem with them is they're expensive for what you get.

And you can't take a Harley off road like you can a KLR!

I guess you are talking about this unit..

Nice looking bike for sure, but I can't see you doing an across country trip on it.

I'm not really into the enduros. If offeredd one at a cheap price of course I would snatch it, but I like to keep the dirt vehicles in the dirt and the street units on the street.

You can find a bagger (full framed unit with bags) for less than 8k.

Here is some off roading for you (not really).

Attached Images Attached Images

-Mussolini