Thread: Towing services

DonTom

Towing services

I would like to start a thread about towing services, to hear about people's experiences with them. I now belong to two of them. I am a AAA Premier Member as well as a Coach-Net member. This means I pay a few hundred bucks per year just in case of breakdowns. They each cover Tom & I in the USA and Canada (on a single membership) and I simply call a number on the card for services.

Here's the main reasons I belong to two of them.

The AAA Premier Membership will tow me ( or even Tom, if he's in his own vehicle without me) 200 miles to wherever I choose. Most of the time I want to be towed to one of my two homes where I can fix the thing myself. Since I travel a lot 225 miles between my two homes in many different vehicles, I like to know I am covered anywhere between my two homes.

However, AAA will NOT tow motorcycles and they may or may not tow motorhomes depending on where you break down at. They have different contracts for different areas and if they cannot tow a motorhome where you're stuck with their closest service you're on your own.

Also, I found it best to NOT tell the AAA operator you're in a RV or they may say they won't bother with you right there. I say it's a "one ton van", which is true. Smaller RV's shouldn't be a problem for whatever towing service that shows up, but it might be a problem to get past the AAA operator.

Coach-Net will tow you to the nearest place that can repair your car, RV or motorcycle. The RV forum seems to think a lot of them. Some RV'ers do NOT even carry a spare tire because if they blow a tire Coach-Net will buy a tire for you and deliver and install it. However, I don't see how they can do this in the middle of the night when everything is closed, so I make sure I can change my own tires.

What have your experiences been with towing services?

-Don-

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    I am not a fan of towing services because you're paying a good bit of money for a service you may never (or very rarely ever) need.

Now, of course, I have to add a few caveats.

First, I'm the type of guy who doesn't mind handling breakdowns himself; indeed, I prefer it.

I do, however, see the value of a towing service for those who want the peace of mind and don't like to hassle with these things. For older drivers, especially, a good towing service is probably a good thing to have.

DonTom
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I am not a fan of towing services because you're paying a good bit of money for a service you may never (or very rarely ever) need.

Now, of course, I have to add a few caveats.

First, I'm the type of guy who doesn't mind handling breakdowns himself; indeed, I prefer it.

I do, however, see the value of a towing service for those who want the peace of mind and don't like to hassle with these things. For older drivers, especially, a good towing service is probably a good thing to have.
    How do you handle a breakdown yourself, hundreds of miles from home, when the fuel pump craps out that's located inside the gas tank? Or when you blow a head gasket? Or when your engine blows a rod?

And how do you like to change a flat tire out in pouring rain during the middle of the night? How do you fix a pressed on plastic pulley that falls apart on the freeway?

Or you get stuck deep in sand.

And when your wife has a break down when you're not around?

All of these above things are things ( and more) I have experienced and have called a towing service for. As you probably know, I am on the road a lot. What I like most about the towing services is there's a single phone number to call no matter where I am.

And with the AAA service, they tow me 200 miles to MY choice, passing up countless places that can repair my vehicle. I do many repairs (such as the Jeep pulley repair) myself after being towed. And BTW, that was during the night when it's not possible to buy such an item.

If you never go far from home, I can see why you don't care for the towing services.

BTW, I hope I waste my $300.00 each and every year! It's one of those deals that I hope I never need, but want the insurance and convenience in case I do.

BTW, when possible, I prefer to fix what I can too when I am broke down. But since I do a large share of my driving at night, getting required parts can be a real problem. But belts, hoses, tools and many other items I carry with me. In the RV, I even like to carry a spare distributor and timing light in case the internal electronic ignition craps out. In my old RV, I even carried a spare fuel pump because it was NOT in the fuel tank. And I had to replace one once about 600 miles from home. But I won't bother with carrying a fuel pump with the RV I have now because it's not possible for me to replace on the road.

My older RV was easier to deal with for common problems than the one I have now. The old one had room everywhere and was high off the ground and easy to work under. I just hope I don't have as many problems with this RV, because there's not nearly as much that I can repair myself.

-Don-