Thread: power steering shutters/shaking

power steering shutters/shaking

I just had the upper driver side ball joint replaced along with the control arm (the 2 are connec togather & sold that way) along with the lower ball joint on the passanger side replaced yesterday. I noticed last night it had like a shuuter/shake coming from it when the steering is turned all the way to the left or right which it didn't have before. I now had it do it today while making some routine turns. What could be causing it? Could it be something happened when replacing the parts?
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerlbf406 View Post
    I just had the upper driver side ball joint replaced along with the control arm (the 2 are connec togather & sold that way) along with the lower ball joint on the passanger side replaced yesterday. I noticed last night it had like a shuuter/shake coming from it when the steering is turned all the way to the left or right which it didn't have before. I now had it do it today while making some routine turns. What could be causing it? Could it be something happened when replacing the parts?
    If it wasn't doing this prior to the repair, then it's very likely the shudder/shaking is happening as a result of the repair - or more to the point, something not repaired right. I would take it back and have them fix it. The right way, this time.

most of it started after the repairs to my brakes, although i didnt believe it had anything to do w/ the brakes. sure enough after taking care of the brakes today, the steering isn't making any noises now.
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    most of it started after the repairs to my brakes, although i didnt believe it had anything to do w/ the brakes. sure enough after taking care of the brakes today, the steering isn't making any noises now.
    Again, good news!

I believe that on my Toyota there is a relief valve that opens when the steering is turned onto full lock in either direction. This makes a stuttering sound when activated, I don't recollect it actually making any physical shuddering though.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.