Thread: adding aftermarket gadgets

DonTom

adding aftermarket gadgets

I completed both jobs of adding a keyless entry and cruise control to my RV (2000 Express Cutaway) in the last couple of days. Both went smooth and work well.

I have added several different brands of keyless entrys to my various cars. In the past, the stock ones had a better range, some of the after markets (such as the one I added to my Sebring) you have to be within a few feet of the vehicle for it to work.

However, the one I just added to our RV works from a farther distance than even my stock ones. I could lock and unlock the doors from the opposite side of my .33 acre lot at our Reno home. This is the one that works better than the rest I have added.

For the cruise control, I added this one, a CCS-100. More hassle to install (takes many hours) but it works well and most of the parts are smaller than others, such as the servo unit. It requires a road test to test and to tell the truth, I was surprised that it not only works, but works quite well. And the small dash mounted control unit lights up with the dash lights, unlike some (most?) of the stock cruise controls. It comes with so many brackets, options and other stuff (most of this stuff will NOT be used) that there must be a way to add it to any vehicle.

I am happy with both of these added on gadgets.

-Don- (back in SSF, CA)

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
    I completed both jobs of adding a keyless entry and cruise control to my RV (2000 Express Cutaway) in the last couple of days. Both went smooth and work well.

I have added several different brands of keyless entrys to my various cars. In the past, the stock ones had a better range, some of the after markets (such as the one I added to my Sebring) you have to be within a few feet of the vehicle for it to work.

However, the one I just added to our RV works from a farther distance than even my stock ones. I could lock and unlock the doors from the opposite side of my .33 acre lot at our Reno home. This is the one that works better than the rest I have added.

For the cruise control, I added this one, a CCS-100. More hassle to install (takes many hours) but it works well and most of the parts are smaller than others, such as the servo unit. It requires a road test to test and to tell the truth, I was surprised that it not only works, but works quite well. And the small dash mounted control unit lights up with the dash lights, unlike some (most?) of the stock cruise controls. It comes with so many brackets, options and other stuff (most of this stuff will NOT be used) that there must be a way to add it to any vehicle.

I am happy with both of these added on gadgets.

-Don- (back in SSF, CA)
    Sounds good!

I usually only fiddle with the engine/suspension. I think in my entire life I have added maybe two non-stock radios to a car; that's about it.

Now, bikes I often add chrome stuff to, or carbon fiber bits n' pieces...

DonTom
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Sounds good!
    I think in my entire life I have added maybe two non-stock radios to a car; that's about it.
    In my RV, I am doing the opposite, It has a non-stock cheap radio, with a very mickey-mouse install.

I am going to remove it and install a stock radio, like this one.

-Don- SSF, CA