Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Celery City Cruisers

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Interesting comment re the Scirocco. I ran an '87 Scirocco Scala Auto for many years, up to sometime in 2000 - in fact if I had not had to change cars to transport elderly parents I would probably still have it. It was good handling, reasonably quick, totally rust free, completely reliable, minimal problems and I liked the looks. Maintenance costs too were very reasonable.

Ken.
    Good point, the quality control on VWs improved by the 1980s. I had a chance to test drive a 1986 Scirocco back in 1988 when I was looking for a used car, it had the performance oriented 2.0 16 valve I4. Acceleration was good, handling was good, and overall the car was very well balanced. And its styling was sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    "The biggest mistake VW made was ditching the rear-engine, rear-wheel drive, and air cooled Beetle platform and replacing it with the 1970s front-wheel drive VW platform. VW has really never recovered from this mistake. Even the new VW Bug is based on a modern version of this front-wheel drive platform"

To be fair to VW, it wasn't entirely their choice. The old flat four could not meet increasingly tough federal emissions control requirements (this is why Porsche ultimately went to a water-cooled design, too) and the Beetle itself could never be made to meet federal bumper-impact standards.

So, thank the shitheads in government for what VW has become - and why we no longer have access to cool (and sensible) cars like the old Beetle.

Lots of folks have used the 4-cyl opposed air cooled VW engine to power their home-built aircraft. VERY reliable engine, tough, sturdy, bullet proof.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mase View Post
    Lots of folks have used the 4-cyl opposed air cooled VW engine to power their home-built aircraft. VERY reliable engine, tough, sturdy, bullet proof.
    Yep - it's a great design. Unfortunately, it was designed without the federal government's emissions rigmarole in mind. VW would have had to re-engineer the whole works and even then, air-cooled engines are (from what I gather) much harder to "certify" in terms of emissions output, which is why no one sells them anymore (in cars).

VW produced that engine from the '30s to circa 2002 (in Mexico), an amazing production run that I don't think has been equalled by any other car engine.