Thread: AAA declares entire state to be a speed enforcement zone

AAA declares entire state to be a speed enforcement zone

AAA on Friday designated the entire state as a “strict enforcement area” - the largest such area in the nation - because of its program to use cameras to nab speeders statewide. The Department of Public Safety said Friday its contractor has deployed 78 of the planned 100 fixed and mobile cameras.
    http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...as0220-ON.html

Blasted cameras.

Being Arizona, I'm surprised more of them aren't shot.

Chip H.

Staff
    Me too, although there is a strong movement to ban the devices. Check out the Camera Fraud website. http://camerafraud.wordpress.com/

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...as0220-ON.html

Blasted cameras.

Being Arizona, I'm surprised more of them aren't shot.

Chip H.
    Since when did AAA have power to "designate" anything? Is AAA now an official organ of the state?

F them. I hate AA.

Staff
    The AAA is one of the least relevant organizations in the United States.

They mostly operate as a Monday morning quarterback on topics of member interest such as speed traps, photo enforcement, and highway infrastructure.

In some states, they favor photo radar, in some states they don't. On a national level, they are largely silently in favor. In Utah and Arizona, they opposed posting an 80 mph speed limit.

They give out paper road maps in a time of electronic GPS units and the only service they offer is access to their towing network.

I'd just as soon skip it.

For my $100.00, I can join the NMA for two years and still have money left over to put towing on my insurance. If I need roadmaps I can go to the gas station or the rest stop at the state lines. If I need discount coupons or a tour book, I can get online and cut my own deal.

The AAA is yesterday's news. Yesterday's car club.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post

They mostly operate as a Monday morning quarterback on topics of member interest such as speed traps, photo enforcement, and highway infrastructure.

In some states, they favor photo radar, in some states they don't. On a national level, they are largely silently in favor. In Utah and Arizona, they opposed posting an 80 mph speed limit.

They give out paper road maps in a time of electronic GPS units and the only service they offer is access to their towing network.

For my $100.00, I can join the NMA for two years and still have money left over to put towing on my insurance. If I need roadmaps I can go to the gas station or the rest stop at the state lines. If I need discount coupons or a tour book, I can get online and cut my own deal.

Yeah. From all I can tell, AAA is the Buick Century of car clubs - no one under 65 is interested. But they continue to live off the fumes of their past rep. as "the" motorists' club.

Sheeeez......where do you pay that much for a membership? I've got AAAPlus and it runs about $65. They have in the past year, taken my passprot photo for me, gratis, towed me twice, issued me my international driving permit, got me a better deal on flights (had to cancel though), got me maps for free, and sold a GPS at much less than what it would have cost elsewhere. Maybe your local club sucks but mine is pretty good. It is a problem though as I'm 2 miles from the Kentucky border and Kentucky has another club than Indiana.
    Last edited by grouch; 03-10-2009 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Kant spel wurth a durn!
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

The only reasons I'm a member is for the towing (being that I own a 9 year old car with 132k miles on it) and the international driving permit.

Chip H.

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    Sheeeez......where do you pay that much for a membership? I've got AAAPlus and it runs about $65. They have in the past year, taken my passprot photo for me, gratis, towed me twice, issued me my international driving permit, got me a better deal on flights (had to cancel though), got me maps for free, and sold a GPS at much less than what it would have cost elsewhere. Maybe your local club sucks but mine is pretty good. It is a problem though as I'm 2 miles from the Kentucky border and Kentucky has another club than Indiana.
    $100 or thereabouts is what it costs for a Plus membership. The Florida club sucks. There are not enough offices around here to make it worthwhile. Even though I live near Heathrow, where the HQ is, the building is downright daunting. Visiting the AAA of like going to Home Disco to pick up a couple of nails.

The reason I ditched the AAA is because of some of the political activity they have become involved with. For me, it has been an on and off thing with them, although I am done with the company as a whole. They need some competition....

$100 or thereabouts is what it costs for a Plus membership. The Florida club sucks. There are not enough offices around here to make it worthwhile. Even though I live near Heathrow, where the HQ is, the building is downright daunting. Visiting the AAA of like going to Home Disco to pick up a couple of nails.

The reason I ditched the AAA is because of some of the political activity they have become involved with. For me, it has been an on and off thing with them, although I am done with the company as a whole. They need some competition....
    Their political advocacy killed it for me.

AAA is aggressively "for" all kinds of BS - from lower speed limits to random saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaafety stop-and-frisks by the cops.

If they just stuck to providing maps and so on I would have no problem with AAA. But it has become another braying donkey in DC - and I'd like to throw the whole lot of them down a very deep well.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    The only reasons I'm a member is for the towing (being that I own a 9 year old car with 132k miles on it) and the international driving permit.

Chip H.
    Save yourself the hassle. Towing on my auto insurance is only $20/6 mo, and everyplace I've been since 1990 doesn't need an international permit.
    Dennis - Tucson