Thread: Bike weather is here... for the moment!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Bike weather is here... for the moment!

Exactly one week ago there was a foot of snow on the ground here (SW Virginia) and it was 20-something degrees outside. Today, the weather is expected to be mid-70s and sunny.

I am going for a ride!

Have to take advantage while I can. It is still early March - and we could easily be back in the 20s within 24 hours. We won't be completely in the clear until early April, some four weeks from now.

How's the weather where you guys are?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I am going for a ride!

Have to take advantage while I can. It is still early March - and we could easily be back in the 20s within 24 hours. We won't be completely in the clear until early April, some four weeks from now.

Saturday and Sunday were good days - nice riding weather were it not for the fact that, on Saturday, I was fettling the car ready for the trip down South on Sunday. Today not too bad but very windy - 30 to 40mph gusts. Tomorrow still windy but the bike is going out, irrespective, as it is booked in for its annual service tomorrow afternoon. If the weather is not too gusty I might just take a roundabout route to Sneckspeed's, say via Cadwell Park.

Ken.
    Last edited by Ken; 03-09-2009 at 04:31 PM.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Got my ride on this morning to work. Might be raining tomorrow though.

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Got to ride most of the day Saturday, although it was under bittersweet circumstances. Had a PGR mission up north...but the weather cooperated and made for a memorable day for everyone involved.

Was going to take the bike to the doctor this afternoon, but it's fixing to rain. At least it isn't more snow!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    ".... At least it isn't more snow!"

Yet!

Exactly one week ago there was a foot of snow on the ground here (SW Virginia) and it was 20-something degrees outside. Today, the weather is expected to be mid-70s and sunny.

I am going for a ride!

We had upper 60s this past Saturday and low 60s on Sunday. I didn't ride.. Why not you may ask? I was at a Bowling tournament up in Rutland Vermont all weekend. I didn't get to ride. I didn't bowl good enough to win anything. But we ate like kings and drank like sailors on leave so the weekend wasn't a total loss.
    The weather is supposed to be mid 30s to mid 40s through this comeing weekend. A little cold but as long as it does not snow or get icey to where they have to put down that de-icer crap on the roads, they should be clear and I may get a ride in next weekend.

".... At least it isn't more snow!"

Yet!

Bite your tongue.....

Quote Originally Posted by Frosts08ultra View Post
    Bite your tongue.....
    Checked the weather forecast when I booked my evening track session for next Saturday - whey-hey! clear skies, sunshine, temperature around 6 degrees Celsius, cool but OK, just what was needed, a nice dry track for the first session of the year.

Eeek!, just checked again, 100% cloud, rain all day and still around six celsius. How can the weather change like that in five minutes?

Oh well, I'll check again tomorrow and Monday and Tues .................

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Checked the weather forecast when I booked my evening track session for next Saturday - whey-hey! clear skies, sunshine, temperature around 6 degrees Celsius, cool but OK, just what was needed, a nice dry track for the first session of the year.

Eeek!, just checked again, 100% cloud, rain all day and still around six celsius. How can the weather change like that in five minutes?

Oh well, I'll check again tomorrow and Monday and Tues .................

Ken.

Well the weather today was very dull and overcast, but it was not all that cold so, after lunch, I booted and suited and went off for a quick 70 odd mile round trip to a bikers venue at South Willingham Woods. The lack of sunshine was beneficial later in the afternoon as I only had a clear visor and forgot my shades. Went out from Woodhall, through Horncastle, up the A153, past Scamblesby and Cadwell Park up to the A16, left and then left again at the roundabout to take the A631, Market Rasen road to Willingham Woods. Willingham was fairly busy with a couple of hundred bikes and bikers there at any one time whilst a continual stream of new arrivals turned up as others left - the little cafe was doing a roaring trade with people queuing for food and drinks all the time. Came back from Willingham Woods on the back roads twisting and winding through Market Rasen, Wragby, Bardney, Bucknall and Stixwould. Not a fast trip, about an hours riding with a half hour stop for coffee, but it got the adrenaline flowing through the twisties and gave the bike a good run.

Just checked the weather for my track evening next Saturday - it has gone back to cold and dry but cloudy, that'll do and anything better will be a bonus.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.