Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CA Smog Check woes

DonTom
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHalloran View Post
    Given the indicated lean condition, I'd check for leaks, loose clamps, cracks etc. in all the air plumbing downstream of the MAF sensor. If I didn't find anything obviously wrong there, I'd leak check the intake manifold, or just go ahead and replace the gaskets.

If the problem turned out to be the intake manifold gaskets, I'd bet that some mechanic already knew about it, but nobody was willing to pay him to fix it.
    Since it is ONLY lean at low idle, I don't think it's anything too serious. The MAF sensor on this gets its vacuum from the intake tube before the throttle body (well before the engine). I never did find the fuel regulator, it must be hidden somewhere. I assume it has a vacuum line, but I would think if that line was leaking I might be too rich because it would close the vaccum regulator and increase the fuel pressure.

Or are my guesses way off?

But I ain't even going to look at it until there's some real symptom of something being wrong. I have it all back together and I will take a better look if I ever have another reason to take the engine cover off again. If it were not for the smog test, I would never guessed there's a problem because it performs very well. And the 625 idle is very smooth which is usually NOT the case when there's a vacuum leak.

These are some of the reasons why I think checking the fuel presure is a good place to start.

Remeber, when I first got this RV the vacuum plug was plugged on top of the engine. I had to run new vaccum line so the air vents would work correctly. I ran new line all the way to the vaccum resovior. But I did wonder about the MAP sensor (I found out later it does NOT use intake manfild vacuum) and I still wonder if the vaccum is supposed to be going to a fuel pressure regulator that I could not even find. I could not even find it in the service manuals, but I proably missed it. It si NOT listed in the index, which I thought was strange. Makes me wonder if there is some other way to regulate fuel pressure.

There's a good chance that it is a vacuum problem, but not a leak on the new hose I ran.

-Don- SSF, CA

DonTom
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Remember the good old days when you could just buy the damn thing, hang a plate on it... and drive?
    I still can. I will get my registration any day as the CA DMV doesn't know they cheated to make it pass. If it were the old days, I would NOT even know about this problem. The only difference is knowing.

-Don-

DonTom
    The place I purchased my RV from is going out of business.

See:

http://www.rvshowinca.com/

Might be some hot deals there! Just be sure you have all the CA smog paperwork and check it very carefully!!!

I never did get my sixty bucks back for the failed smog test I had done for them. Not a big deal to me.

Even their phone at JC RV's is now disconnected.

But I am surprised they would go out of business in the very beginning of the RV season here. I would think they would be doing well now because almost all the other smaller RV places around this part of CA already went under.

I got my CA Registration today! It only took 5 months! It's valid from "7/18/2007 until 07/18/2009". Yeah, two years which more than a year and a half has already passed. It has not been registered for a while and the CA DMV wanted their money! $469.00! It was JC RV that had to pay most of it. No wonder JC RV went out of business!

But after all these CA smog test hassles, it looks like I will have to soon registered it in NV anyway as the CA registration expires in July. But I am NOT worried about it passing in NV as I just had my 1999 Dodge Ram pick up truck smogged in Reno and I watched them do it. They only connect up to the OBD2 connector. They did NOT put anything in the tailpipe! I get a sheet that says it passed, but nothing about my HC or CO readings, nothing about idle speeds or anything like that. So in NV, I assume all they are checking is that all OBD2 sensor codes are "set" (meaning there's enough miles on them to know I didn't just clear them myself) and no codes in memory and no current codes. Very mickey-mouse compared to here in CA. A lot cheaper in NV too, only $18.75. But in NV, it has to be done every year, unlike CA which is none for the first five years on new vehicles and every other year on older vehicles.

With the old 1979 RV that I used to own, they (in Reno) did measure the readings from the tailpipe and give the CO and HC readings. I guess there's no other way to do it on the older vehicles.

I might even get my RV smogged and registered in NV next week. It already has NV insurance. I also have to get another one of my cars (the 97 Sebring) smogged this month in NV which is here in CA now. The RV lives in NV, so I am all set to get them both done.

-Don- SSF, CA

DonTom
    Yesterday, I took my RV for a NV smog test. To my surprise, they did have to put the thingie in the tailpipe in my year 2000 Chevy Express Cutaway, unlike my 1999 Dodge Truck which was smogged in NV last week. So I asked why. I was told that Washoe County checks more stuff on heavy vehicles such as motorhomes because they pollute more than most vehicles. They test at various RPM's including idle. I was watching the test gizmo, so I was assuming it would fail, but second surprise, it passed!

They gave me a printout, but it only says it passed. No tech info such as the HC and CO, so I have no clue by what margin it passed. But the tester did mention that Washoe County allows about three times as much pollutants than CA in the same vehicle.

Anyway, from there, I went straight to Reno DMV and got my NV plates. Now, I am registered until May 2010.

But on the way home, my "check engine" light came on, climbing the hill going up 395 north just before Cold Springs Valley (close to home). If this happened on the way down for the smog test, I would have flunked! I was lucky! Anyway, the MIL code was P0300 (misfire detected). That can be caused by just about anything, even a drop of water in the gasoline. I did not feel any misfire or any other problem. I cleared the code and drove it a bit more, so far, no problem.

BTW, I did check my fuel pressure, it's 48 PSI at idle and about 51 when the RPM's are raised. It's not adjustable and most likely has nothing to do with why it cannot pass in CA. Another thing I discovered is that the catalytic converter that is farthest from the engine only gets to 200F even with a totally warmed up engine. I hear they don't start to work well until above 300F.

But since it passes here in NV and this is where it lives & will always be registered, I am done worrying about it, unless that P0300 code keeps on returning.

-Don- Reno, NV

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    What an ordeal!

But glad you're finally done with it. (See what I mean about EFI and computers? Blechhhhh!)

PS: Where ya been?

DonTom
    What an ordeal!

But glad you're finally done with it. (See what I mean about EFI and computers? Blechhhhh!)
    But even when EFI is not working correctly, it still beats any carb!

PS: Where ya been?
    I've been busy with all types of small projects, day and night.

-Don-

DonTom
    This is where I purchased my RV from last January. See the You-Tube and how they got the shaft from B of A:

See here.

-Don- SSF, CA

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
    This is where I purchased my RV from last January. See the You-Tube and how they got the shaft from B of A:

See here.

-Don- SSF, CA

Sounds like a typical example of short sighted, short term, financial planning. The bank would sooner go for a quick, low, short term cash recovery, despite the bail-outs they have been given, rather than support their customers for a better long term recovery, in a time of depression.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post

See here.

-Don- SSF, CA
    Depressing video; does the bank believe these rigs will fetch more at an auction? Factor in the cut to the auction company and the cost of the repo and they would probably have done better renegotiating with the dealer/lot owner....

DonTom
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Sounds like a typical example of short sighted, short term, financial planning. The bank would sooner go for a quick, low, short term cash recovery, despite the bail-outs they have been given, rather than support their customers for a better long term recovery, in a time of depression.Ken.
    Yes, the banks are only making the problems with the economy a lot worse. So is the government by the stupid way they attempt to fix these things.

Seems B of A's entire purpose is now to take money in without lending any out. Why bail out a bank that's only going to make the problems a lot worse? That might even be worse than bailing out GM and Chrysler so they can continue to make cars that nobody will buy.

While I really don't care much for the way JC RV does business, I care even less for the way B of A has been doing things lately.

-Don- SF, CA

DonTom
    Depressing video; does the bank believe these rigs will fetch more at an auction? Factor in the cut to the auction company and the cost of the repo and they would probably have done better renegotiating with the dealer/lot owner....
    The government has asked the bank to increase their capital. So B of A is doing exactly that. They need the money FAST.

But why bail out a bank that refuses to bank? They won't lend out money. All B of A is doing is making the economy a lot worse, mainly because of our stupid government giving them money without a good and enforced plan.

BTW, B of A reduced my non-secured credit lines by $90,000.00. The problem was that I wasn't using them. But by reducing people's credit lines the banks also have more available capital as the people have less money & credit to spend. Neither the government nor the bank is helping. They are making the problems a lot worse. We cannot go from a credit society to a cash society overnight without making problems with the economy a lot worse.

IMAO, the government would fix things a lot faster if they did NOTHING and just let whatever happens happen. The government trying to fix a problem is what caused this big mess to begin with.

-Don-