Thread: 1980 Cheese Review

1980 Cheese Review

This is a first in series called "Cheese Review". Feel free to add your comments and your own submissions. This is look back at 1980.

Anyone alive and walking during this time will remember Pac Man - a simplistic game that would have you playing for hours. It was the youth's version of the slot machine:

And we had a former actor running against a former peanut farmer for President of the U.S.:

1980 Presidential debate clip:

1980 Jimmy Carter TV ad:

1980 Ronald Reagan TV ad:

1980 also brought in McDonald's mint Shamrock shakes and sundaes:

And introduing a new downsided (fox body based) Ford Thunderbird for 1980 with a new overdrive automatic transmission:

And 1980 Mercury Capri RS - "A touch of Europe":

1980 Pontiac Bonneville - a car you would like to cruise in:

1980 Pontiac Trans Am TV ad:

Make "Horse Sense" - buy a 1980 Mustang:

Jim Solway Chevrolet ad with a cheesy Groucho Marx impersonator introducing the full line of 1980 Chevrolets:

Say the maaajick word again:

Buy a new 1980 Dodge at Olympia Dodge and get a free weber kettle:

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    I spent hours playing Pac Man!

Also: Space Invaders, Joust, Asteroid - and what the heck was that one where the computer voice would say, "stop the humanoid! The humanoid must not escape!"?

I always thought - and still do - that car had so much untapped potential.

Had Pontiac had time to develop the 301 turbo a little - and specifically, used a turbocharger designed for a V-8 (the one it came with was originally designed for four-cylinder engines), added EFI and intercooling, plus a good exhaust system (the production system was awful) this engine could have been producing 275 hp (or more) with decent gas mileage - probably better than the later 350 Chevys with TPI used in the mid-late '80s....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I always thought - and still do - that car had so much untapped potential.

Had Pontiac had time to develop the 301 turbo a little - and specifically, used a turbocharger designed for a V-8 (the one it came with was originally designed for four-cylinder engines), added EFI and intercooling, plus a good exhaust system (the production system was awful) this engine could have been producing 275 hp (or more) with decent gas mileage - probably better than the later 350 Chevys with TPI used in the mid-late '80s....
    I agree, Buick started before Pontiac with turbo tech on the anemic 3.8 liter V6. They took a motor that made was so underpowered and made it into a monster by the mid 1980s. The 1987 Buick GN with the SFI 3.8 liter V6 turbo made an underrated 245 horsepower and 345 lbs/ft of torque. The Buick turbo motor was a dog when it was carbureted. It did not have real performance until fuel injection was added and then later with the intercooler added it became a monster.

Pontiac took a solid 4.9 (301 CID) V8 and with a turbo made a respectable, 210 horsepower and 345 lbs/ft of torque with a 4bbl carb in 1980. By 1984, the turbo 301 would have probably had fuel injection and soon thereafter an intercooler. With these items and some other performance enhancements it probably would have made 300+ horsepower. It would have beat (with the light 3rd generation Trans Am body), all competitors back in the mid to late 1980s. It would have been faster than the 20th anniversary Trans Am (3.8 liter turbo - 250 horsepower) which was the fastest 3rd generation Trans Am and faster than the Buick GN.

Pontiac had planned on putting the turbo 301 in the new (3rd generation) 1982 Trans Am (hence the 1982 Trans Am hood budge like the 1980-81 Turbo Trans Am). This car would have been faster than the 1982 Corvette or any other 1982 American made car. Pontiac was planning on continuing development of the turbo 301 throughout the 1980s. However GM in 1981 with its new corporate engines policy for the 1982 model year was spreading around the engine production to it's different divisions, decided to kill the Pontaic 301 Pontiac, since Pontiac was already producing the Iron Duke 2.5 four in large numbers.

It's a sad story of what could have been. By 1982 the mighty Pontiac was forced to go to Chevy to get V8s for it's customers. Things would forever change for the worse.

I spent hours playing Pac Man!

Also: Space Invaders, Joust, Asteroid - and what the heck was that one where the computer voice would say, "stop the humanoid! The humanoid must not escape!"?
    Remember Flipper McGees, Playtime, and other video arcades in Northern Virginia back in the day? I remember going to these arcades on a regular basis in the early 1980s as a kid. The places were dark with wall to wall video games - Space Invaders, Asteroids, Defender, Gorf, Pac Man, Galaxian, Galaga, Donkey Kong, etc.

The only place around now that has that old arcade feel is Dave & Buster's.

What some of those old video game arcades looked like:

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Man View Post
    Remember Flipper McGees, Playtime, and other video arcades in Northern Virginia back in the day? I remember going to these arcades on a regular basis in the early 1980s as a kid. The places were dark with wall to wall video games - Space Invaders, Asteroids, Defender, Gorf, Pac Man, Galaxian, Galaga, Donkey Kong, etc.

The only place around now that has that old arcade feel is Dave & Buster's.

What some of those old video game arcades looked like:

Yeah, I do remember - good times!

The record store that used to be in the Oakton Shopping Center on Rt 123 had Joust - and I would spend hours there, playing that stupid game....

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Man View Post
    I agree, Buick started before Pontiac with turbo tech on the anemic 3.8 liter V6. They took a motor that made was so underpowered and made it into a monster by the mid 1980s. The 1987 Buick GN with the SFI 3.8 liter V6 turbo made an underrated 245 horsepower and 345 lbs/ft of torque. The Buick turbo motor was a dog when it was carbureted. It did not have real performance until fuel injection was added and then later with the intercooler added it became a monster.

Pontiac took a solid 4.9 (301 CID) V8 and with a turbo made a respectable, 210 horsepower and 345 lbs/ft of torque with a 4bbl carb in 1980. By 1984, the turbo 301 would have probably had fuel injection and soon thereafter an intercooler. With these items and some other performance enhancements it probably would have made 300+ horsepower. It would have beat (with the light 3rd generation Trans Am body), all competitors back in the mid to late 1980s. It would have been faster than the 20th anniversary Trans Am (3.8 liter turbo - 250 horsepower) which was the fastest 3rd generation Trans Am and faster than the Buick GN.

Pontiac had planned on putting the turbo 301 in the new (3rd generation) 1982 Trans Am (hence the 1982 Trans Am hood budge like the 1980-81 Turbo Trans Am). This car would have been faster than the 1982 Corvette or any other 1982 American made car. Pontiac was planning on continuing development of the turbo 301 throughout the 1980s. However GM in 1981 with its new corporate engines policy for the 1982 model year was spreading around the engine production to it's different divisions, decided to kill the Pontaic 301 Pontiac, since Pontiac was already producing the Iron Duke 2.5 four in large numbers.

It's a sad story of what could have been. By 1982 the mighty Pontiac was forced to go to Chevy to get V8s for it's customers. Things would forever change for the worse.
    Yep!

Even if Pontiac had been able to certify the 4-speed manual with the 301, it would have been a major improvement. Unfortunately, all the cars were automatic-only because the 301 turbo w/manual could not meet EPA smog check.

I really like the looks of the '80-'81 turbo TA and - if I had the money - would love to buy one and fiddle with it, as we've discussed. Just adding a proper turbo and exhaust, along with a "power tune," (wick up the ignition timing, get rid of the catastrophic converter or at least add dual hi-flow cats instead of the crap single cat it came with) would probably give an honest 230-240 hp and very solid performance.

Yep!

Even if Pontiac had been able to certify the 4-speed manual with the 301, it would have been a major improvement. Unfortunately, all the cars were automatic-only because the 301 turbo w/manual could not meet EPA smog check.

I really like the looks of the '80-'81 turbo TA and - if I had the money - would love to buy one and fiddle with it, as we've discussed. Just adding a proper turbo and exhaust, along with a "power tune," (wick up the ignition timing, get rid of the catastrophic converter or at least add dual hi-flow cats instead of the crap single cat it came with) would probably give an honest 230-240 hp and very solid performance.
    There's a very knowledgeable guy who posts on some of the Internet Pontiac forums, who years ago modified a 301 turbo T/A to where it was a solid 13 second range 1/4 mile car. He kicked up the turbo boast and tweaked the engine. This is pretty impressive considering the lack of performance parts for the 301. For instance there's an aftermarket performance camshaft for the 301 but no aftermarket intakes or heads. The stock siamese heads were not the best of designs.

Yeah, I do remember - good times!

The record store that used to be in the Oakton Shopping Center on Rt 123 had Joust - and I would spend hours there, playing that stupid game....
    The good old days! Getting on the BMX bike and riding to stores with video games.

I spent more than my share of hours playing Joust. There used to be a People's drug store near my house and I spent countless hours playing Defender there. There was also a Dart Drug a little futher away that had Space Invaders then Asteroids and later Galaga. Galaga was among one of favorites.

Mentioning the record store, reminds me of all the record stores that have bit the dust over the years in the area. Kemp Mill, Penguin Feather, Harmony Hut, etc. Even the big mega Tower Records store in my area closed down in the last year or so.

However buying off the iTunes store is sure easier.