Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Made in China = CRAP

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Made in China = CRAP

I just had to replace a light fixture I installed in our house less than six months ago. Made in China.

My wife got suckered by those TV ads for the Snuggy - you know, the comfy-looking robe thing for keeping warm while you watch the tube?

POS arrived in the mail and it's gauze-like flimsy shit. Made in China.

Tainted toothpaste? Lead-laden kids toys? Made in China.

Not surprising, of course. A slave state in which everything is made as cheaply as possible to make as much profit as possible is guaranteed to produce such crap - and we're idiots enough to buy it. We exchange our manufacturing capacity - and reasonably well-made stuff - in order to screw American workers out of a living wage in order that we can purchase low-grade shit from the commie Chinese.

Well, enough for me. I now go out of my way to shun anything that comes from China - from canned seafood to electronics. I encourage the rest of you to do the same.

It's bad enough we've lost our ability to make things; intolerable that we now have to put up with crap goods financed by our short-sighted stupidity and the greed of corporate America....

Staff
    I try and avoid as much Made in China as humanly possible. When I can't buy something made in the USA, I buy it used. Your wife might like a site called www.stillmadeinusa.com. If she gets the buying urge, check out some of the links on it. The site is done by a 34 year old woman in VA who recognizes the importance of made in the USA. You would be surprised at the products offered on this and different made in the USA sites. You can't really find these at stores, which is a shame.

Other sites.

www.buyamerican.com
    www.madeinusaforever.com
    www.allamericanclothing.com
    www.zebulonusa.com (going out of business)

I will post other links as I remember them.

Happy shopping.

I am seriously considering buying one of the new Light Sport Aircraft. They can be the most affordable new fun flying machines, although the best-equipped models are over $100k. Based on the specs and the company reputation, I was thinking about the Cessna Skycatcher. but but but....it is going to be assembled in China.

Yeah, supposedly Cessna is going to supervise the assembly and quality control. And china has been making parts for Boeing for years. But you don't just buy something that absolutely has to be put together 100% right from China without a lot of second thoughts......

Might end up just buying a used Cessna 152 instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mase View Post
    I am seriously considering buying one of the new Light Sport Aircraft. They can be the most affordable new fun flying machines, although the best-equipped models are over $100k. Based on the specs and the company reputation, I was thinking about the Cessna Skycatcher. but but but....it is going to be assembled in China.

Yeah, supposedly Cessna is going to supervise the assembly and quality control. And china has been making parts for Boeing for years. But you don't just buy something that absolutely has to be put together 100% right from China without a lot of second thoughts......

Might end up just buying a used Cessna 152 instead.
    Amen to that!

Bad enough being behind the wheel of a defective car. But at least you can just pull over and wait for a tow. At 15,000 feet, not so much!

DonTom
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I just had to replace a light fixture I installed in our house less than six months ago. Made in China.

Now look at all the stuff in your home that has lasted forever. You will probably find that most of it was made in China as well. Seems my computer stuff lasts forever and almost all of it is made in China.

The reason China makes so much cheap junk is because they know Americans are cheap and buy a lot of junk.

I buy a lot of tools from Harbor Freight tools. I spent almost $200.00 in there today. I think 100% of their stuff comes from China. I rarely have any trouble with their stuff.

BTW, today, I purchased five submersible pond lamps from there at ten bucks each. Cheap as I have ever seen them. They even cost quite a bit more on E-Bay. I guess I am a cheap American too, because I went for the price instead of best quality, but I think they are all made in China anyway. Not much left to buy that's made here in the USA and I am as guilty of that as the next American.

-Don- Reno, NV

Nicely put Don! As much as I would like to hop on the bandwagon and say fuc China, I can't. I'm guilty.. I shop at Walmart and the million other places that sell China made goods. Do I like China, well I don't know China. Am I unhappy they make cheap shet, yea. Is there a better option, no. Well, ya'll might say buy American, but American shet is junk too. Oh my bad, let me quality, when I buy American shet I pay a premium for second rate shet. Look at the shet box machines they/we have been building for the past 30 years, I'm not saying all of them so don't get your panties in a bunch!

Did ya'll know we are at a decade low for sun spots? I guess the sun is taking a break!

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

DonTom
    Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Do I like China, well I don't know China.
    Well, China has the ability to make the very highest quality stuff if we would be willing to pay the price.

Those who would like to see China stop making cheap junk should only buy their best stuff made and ignore anything cheap. If Americans would only purchase their very best stuff, you would then see them instantly change making sure they only made the very best possible stuff.

When I was younger, Japan was considered cheap junk. Now, many people think the opposite. The same can happen with China, but it all depends on what we buy from them.

IMAO, if China stopped making junk and only made the best stuff possible, they would go broke because so few would buy any of it when it can be found cheaper, even if lower quality, from another source.

Cheap junk is what makes the most money.

-Don- Reno, CA

"Now look at all the stuff in your home that has lasted forever. You will probably find that most of it was made in China as well."

Nope! Our house was built in 1982, when American homes were still made with things made in America!

"I buy a lot of tools from Harbor Freight tools. I spent almost $200.00 in there today. I think 100% of their stuff comes from China. I rarely have any trouble with their stuff."

I've also bought from them; their tools are ok for very light use but junk compared with good stuff.

But even if the stuff were first-rate, I still would not want to buy it because buying from China is to participate in the ruination of the American economy and with it, the American standard of life.

More important: China is a totalitarian society under the control of a totalitarian state. "Free trade" with China is a ludicrous notion. And: The same moralizing double-chinned Republican types who push freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee trade with China would react (rightly!) with outrage if we were talking about, say, the Soviet Union - let alone Hitler's Germany. But what's the difference? Remember: The Chinese Communist Party, under Mao, is responsible for more mass murder than either Stalin or Hitler. A fact. Oh, but today's party has "moderated." Yeah. Bullshit. How about a "moderate" Nazi Party? etc.

China is our enemy - economically and militarily. It is much more a threat to us than a bunch of al Qaeda ragheads. That bogey is bullshit.

We have got to learn to see beyond our short-sighted greed/grubbing for pennies on the floor.
    Last edited by Eric; 04-03-2009 at 07:28 AM.

DonTom
    "Remember: The Chinese Communist Party, under Mao, is responsible for more mass murder than either Stalin or Hitler."

Even if that were true, there's no way to compare Mao's hard core commie nonsense with China's government of today.

"China is our enemy - economically and militarily. "

I don't think of today's China as our enemy. And the problem with China economically is they have become too much like us where everybody is trying to make a bunch of money any way they can.

-Don- Reno, NV

"Even if that were true, there's no way to compare Mao's hard core commie nonsense with China's government of today."

One, it is true. 30-40 million, depending on whose figures you accept.

Two, the fact that today's Chinese Communist party is more "moderate" is about as comforting as a "moderate" Nazi Party. The fact is it's a totalitarian state in which the people have no rights. It is the mortal enemy of a free state and free people.

"I don't think of today's China as our enemy."

You're free, of course, to think as you like. But China is a totalitarian state global with interests it will pursue with force and the threat of force, just as all totalitarian states always have. That makes China out enemy.

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Nicely put Don! As much as I would like to hop on the bandwagon and say fuc China, I can't. I'm guilty.. I shop at Walmart and the million other places that sell China made goods. Do I like China, well I don't know China. Am I unhappy they make cheap shet, yea. Is there a better option, no. Well, ya'll might say buy American, but American shet is junk too. Oh my bad, let me quality, when I buy American shet I pay a premium for second rate shet. Look at the shet box machines they/we have been building for the past 30 years, I'm not saying all of them so don't get your panties in a bunch!

Did ya'll know we are at a decade low for sun spots? I guess the sun is taking a break!

Have you tried any of the sites and links I provided earlier in this thread? The made in america stuff isn't half bad and besides, you're supporting your own country while you can.

I find it unbelievable that some (not you), call for sending our troops higher and yonder, humping thier flags, and listening to Lee Greenwood, but go to Walmart and other places and buy things for "the best price." "The best price" has hidden costs that far exceed the pennies and dollars saved at national discount ripoff retailers.

DonTom
    Two, the fact that today's Chinese Communist party is more "moderate" is about as comforting as a "moderate" Nazi Party. The fact is it's a totalitarian state in which the people have no rights. It is the mortal enemy of a free state and free people.

If you ever visit China, you will probably quickly notice that in most ways, they NOW have more rights than we do. It's the USA that has more laws than any country on earth, along with the highest percentage of population in prison. If you wish to speak about a country with no rights, talk about 100% Muslim (any other faith is illegal) Saudi Arabia. I think they are the only true theocracy that's left. I would take any commie country that's left today over any country that's ran on superstitious nonsense.

But regardless of how many people died under Mao, we both agree he was an asshole. But many believe that it was really his wife that was the real asshole. But any system can get assholes in power. Even when elected such as with Hitler and Bush.

-Don- (Reno)

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post

If you ever visit China, you will probably quickly notice that in most ways, they NOW have more rights than we do. It's the USA that has more laws than any country on earth, along with the highest percentage of population in prison. If you wish to speak about a country with no rights, talk about 100% Muslim (any other faith is illegal) Saudi Arabia. I think they are the only true theocracy that's left. I would take any commie country that's left today over any country that's ran on superstitious nonsense.

But regardless of how many people died under Mao, we both agree he was an asshole. But many believe that it was really his wife that was the real asshole. But any system can get assholes in power. Even when elected such as with Hitler and Bush.

-Don- (Reno)

I have a hard time believing that Chinese people have more rights than we do. How about the people forced to work 80+ hours per week at Chinese sweatshops? How about the demonstrators at Tienanmen Square? How about families that are forced to have one child only?
    (While population control is desirable, I believe that infanticide is wrong.)

What specific rights are you talking about?

I am interested to know, since it is likely that they are likely to hold a lot more sway over us thanks to presidents Nixon, Ford, Carter, Bush and Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    I have a hard time believing that Chinese people have more rights than we do. How about the people forced to work 80+ hours per week at Chinese sweatshops? How about the demonstrators at Tienanmen Square? How about families that are forced to have one child only?
    (While population control is desirable, I believe that infanticide is wrong.)

What specific rights are you talking about?

I am interested to know, since it is likely that they are likely to hold a lot more sway over us thanks to presidents Nixon, Ford, Carter, Bush and Obama.
    You will know the Chinese have more freedom than we do when they can go onto any internet site, can travel freely, can practice their religion or no religion freely, don't have their organs involuntarily removed for transplant, etc etc.

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Mase View Post
    You will know the Chinese have more freedom than we do when they can go onto any internet site, can travel freely, can practice their religion or no religion freely, don't have their organs involuntarily removed for transplant, etc etc.
    I guess that's when there will be cold weather in hell, where 8 of our last 10 presidents belong.

DonTom
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    If you want to compare what we cannot do, item by item, look at some of our countless laws. China does not allow illegal demonstrations but neither do we. China, with so many people, might have to use a lot more force than we would when illegal demontrastions get out of control, as in China there's a lot of people compared to here.

And you can find "sweatshops" right in San Francisco. At least you could a few years ago when it was exposed on TV. But I would not use the word "force". They could always quit in China as well as in San Francisco.

As for the less than 40% who are only allowed to have one kid in China, well, I think we should do the same here.

"What specific rights are you talking about?"
    While some might be different than ours, we have more laws than they do telling us what we cannot do. And religion is nothing like some claim. China has many religions and people are open about it. They just don't want them to get too large and organized and be able to cause trouble, such as what happened at Tiananmen Square.

BTW, China (mainland) seems almost like a lawless country. Hong Kong these days is much the opposite with countless laws which are more like Singapore than mainland China. And going from Hong Kong or Macau to mainland China is still like going between any other two countries. Visa needed for the mainland only.

Most of the resturants are full of smoke in mainland China. No laws against it. But the Hong Kong non-smoking laws are even more strict than in CA.

-Don- (now going back to SSF)

We still have - nominally - freedom of speech, assembly, the right to petition government for redress of grievances, the right to keep and bear arms, etc.

No Chinese enjoys even a slight piece of any of these basic human rights. Indeed, such is rejected in principle. Whatever "liberty" the Chinese enjoy is purely at the whim of the state and may be taken away at any time for any reason. Only the state has rights in China.

Indeed, what we are doing right here, right now - openly discussing the policies and practices of the government - would be sufficient to get us imprisoned in China.

Soft-pedaling China because it has become a corporate fascist state with lots of bright neon lights and industry rather than a dreary communist state with everyone wearing Mao jackets is to buy into a very dangerous deception indeed.
    Last edited by Eric; 04-04-2009 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post

-Don- (Reno)
    You are quite correct that we have lots of penny ante harassing laws and regulations - but we still do enjoy the "big freedoms" (see my other post) which the Chinese most assuredly do not.

As for the numbers in prison: Take away black criminals (12 percent of the population, 50-plus percent of the violent crime) and the perspective on who's locked up becomes a bit clearer. Next, remove illegal alien thugs (MS-13, etc.) and the picture becomes even clearer.

For most Americans, being imprisoned is a very unlikely eventuality. For the average Chinese, it could happen at any time and for any reason.

DonTom
    You are quite correct that we have lots of penny ante harassing laws and regulations - but we still do enjoy the "big freedoms" (see my other post) which the Chinese most assuredly do not.

As for the numbers in prison: Take away black criminals (12 percent of the population, 50-plus percent of the violent crime) and the perspective on who's locked up becomes a bit clearer. Next, remove illegal alien thugs (MS-13, etc.) and the picture becomes even clearer.

For most Americans, being imprisoned is a very unlikely eventuality. For the average Chinese, it could happen at any time and for any reason.

Some of the lack of freedoms you talk about here do not exist n China. Such as no helmet laws, no seatbelt laws and that type of stuff. You may find that YOU really like Chinese laws! If you like to protest in large groups you will have a problem in China. Small groups are usually no problem. In fact, there was a small demonstration recently in support of same sex marriage in China. No arrests, no problems. Cops ignored it. Read about it here.

Tom and I have noticed those who do NOT travel a lot to places such as China have no clue and beleive all the BS we hear in the USA. China probably NOW has the best government China has ever had and IMO, it would be stupid for them to allow LARGE religions or LARGE protests that have even a small chance of taking over the government. Tom's dad, who was born and lived most of his life in China, strongly agreed with the Chinese government shooting the protsters at Tiananmen Square. Tom's dad was a teacher in China as well as in the USA. What did he teach? Chinese history. And a very well respected teacher of Chinese history. He later taught at the Oakland Chinese Comunnity Center.

Most of Tom's family who moved to the USA was because of their children. They believe things are more stable here and much less likely to change than in China. But today's China is NOT the problem. How it can change by just a few assholes is the problem. But we can get our assholes in government here too, such as Bush, but overall, we do have a better more stable system than China. But the so-called lack of freedom in China is BS.

I have no doubt that you (Eric) would enjoy the type of freedoms in China more so than here. I can tell from your posts about the things you usually bitch about in the USA. Those are usually the type of freedoms that do exist in China that are NOT allowed in the USA. Is it all good? No, for an example, there's no smog junk on the cars and they really need it. But no laws. Do anything you want to your car, but it has no or very little smog junk to begin with. IMO, China needs MORE laws, not less.

-Don- SSF, CA

"But the so-called lack of freedom in China is BS."

I'm with you on things like helmet laws, etc. - but c'mon now.

The Chinese government (to cite just one example) restricts what the Chinese
    people can access on the Internet; specifically, content it deems "subversive" (read: critical of the government).

That is "so-called lack of freedom" and "BS"?