Thread: TomTom Rider 2 Sat-Nav.

TomTom Rider 2 Sat-Nav.

I have a TomTom Rider (with optional car kit) and, although it hardly gets used on the occasions when it has been utilised it has done exactly what it says on the box. Al Dowds writes up the TomTom Rider 2, the latest version.

Alan's TomTom Rider 2 Satnav

From what I hear in the office, you're either a satnav person, or you're not. Half the office believe they're a satanic invention, designed to make stupid car drivers even more stupid and unaware of their surroundings, and no better than a map.
    I'm a satnav person. The science fiction aspect of them appeals to me – here's a device linked to SPACESHIPS IN SPACE! (please take the tinfoil hat off Al – Ed) It works out where you are by counting the microseconds it takes for RAYS OF SIGNALS TO REACH YOU FROM SPACE!!!

More mundanely, it lets you be utterly lazy about planning trips. Finding out the postcode of your destination is as hard as it gets, and so long as it's charged up, the Rider won't let you get lost, ever. Beyond the basic functions, it will also tell you about speed cameras, find you the nearest petrol station, hotel, or restaurant, and has a clever itinerary function that can store an entire Continental holiday's worth of instructions. Plug into your PC for map updates, extra downloads, and all manner of other time-wasting opportunities.

The kit comes with a mounting bracket, power cable, and a clever Bluetooth headset (which I haven't used much – although I have a mate with one and he says it's excellent). Criticisms? The screen can be hard to see in bright sun through a dark visor, and operating the touchscreen with winter gloves is pretty hard. It should also come with a car kit – using it in your motor doubles its usefulness and is a £50 option at the moment

On test for: 8 months
    Costs: GB£320
    www.tomtom.com
    SuperBike Rating 8/10
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    I am a neo-Luddite and refuse to cross certain Rubicons - GPS being one. Cell phones another.

I lived most of my life without them quite happily and see no need for them now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I am a neo-Luddite and refuse to cross certain Rubicons - GPS being one. Cell phones another.

I lived most of my life without them quite happily and see no need for them now!
    Chacun à son goût, Eric, chacun à son goût.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

I have found GPSs to be very entertaining and using one has opened all sort of new horizons for me. There are many things I like about using them, one of those things is I can get out in the middle of no where and it still knows where I am even if I don't and there are no street/road signs. I can get as lost as I want and it will still get me back to civilization.

To go exploring it can be fun to enter a destination in to the GPS and direct it to take me there by the shortest route. It's amazing how many road this has taken me on that I had no idea where there because I had stayed on the fastest/most used routes.

GPSs aren't for everyone but I sure do have fun with mine. I haven't thrown out the paper maps or the atlases I use them too.
    Sherry
    Never lost, always on an adventure !

Eric, surely you ride airplanes a lot. Ever look out the window and wonder where you are?
    MS Streets & Trips can be had with a GPS receiver that plugs into your laptop and sticks to the window. It will show you a moving map display, and report your airspeed and altitude. Something to do to pass the time. Last year, it was the cheapest way to get GPS. This year, refurb GPS units are even cheaper, and easier to carry if you're not already carrying a laptop.

Terrestrially, GPS completely eliminates the distraction of fiddling with paper maps.. or finding them.

My wife is a _turbo_ neo-Luddite ... but she uses the Sony GPS I bought her for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Chacun à son goût, Eric, chacun à son goût.

Ken.

Exactly or, Chacun pour soi.

I was paying about 48.00 per month for my cell phone but was considering dumping it. As it turned out I lost it while on an off road ride in Oregon. It was almost cheaper to cancel the remaining contract then it was to purchase another phone so I cancelled. I then bought a phone from another company and for 100.00 I purchased 1000 anytime anywhere minutes. That was in Aug. In the last 7 1/2 months, I've used 194 minutes or 19.40 in cost and saved 336.00 of monthly fees that I used to pay. The only time I like to have my cell phone is when I'm traveling and then I consider it a necessity. Other than that, it's a nuisance so I never bother turning it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Litlbike View Post
    Exactly or, Chacun pour soi.
    Agreed, so it would appear in the current climate, Barry.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post
    I have found GPSs to be very entertaining and using one has opened all sort of new horizons for me. There are many things I like about using them, one of those things is I can get out in the middle of no where and it still knows where I am even if I don't and there are no street/road signs. I can get as lost as I want and it will still get me back to civilization.

To go exploring it can be fun to enter a destination in to the GPS and direct it to take me there by the shortest route. It's amazing how many road this has taken me on that I had no idea where there because I had stayed on the fastest/most used routes.

GPSs aren't for everyone but I sure do have fun with mine. I haven't thrown out the paper maps or the atlases I use them too.
    I gotta agree 100% with Sherry on this one. By programming mine to avoid highways, traffic, and tollroads, and punching in straightest route, I have found more awsome (and some not so awsome but adventurous) roads that i never knew existed in my area. Also as Sherry pointed out, I am more apt to take the roads less traveled in states I'm not familiar with knowing I can easily find my way back to civilization at the push of a few buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post

I know many people feel that way - and I understand the reasoning. But I'm a kook and like the idea of potentially getting lost and having to find my way back. GPS, to me, takes away from the adventure. If you know where everything is, you'll never get to be surprised by what you find along the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Litlbike View Post
    I was paying about 48.00 per month for my cell phone but was considering dumping it. As it turned out I lost it while on an off road ride in Oregon. It was almost cheaper to cancel the remaining contract then it was to purchase another phone so I cancelled. I then bought a phone from another company and for 100.00 I purchased 1000 anytime anywhere minutes. That was in Aug. In the last 7 1/2 months, I've used 194 minutes or 19.40 in cost and saved 336.00 of monthly fees that I used to pay. The only time I like to have my cell phone is when I'm traveling and then I consider it a necessity. Other than that, it's a nuisance so I never bother turning it on.
    A fellow Luddite - hooray!

Seriously: I'm 42 and so just old enough to remember the pre-cell world very clearly but not so old that I'm just some technophobic crotchety old guy who hates everything that's new.

We, as a society, have convinced ourselves (or allowed ourselves to be convinced) that we must be "reachable" at all times - and constantly yarbling on the phone. I'm not buying it. Yes, there are circumstance when a cell would be handy - but for me, these are a handful of situations over the course of a given year - and I don't base what I do (or need) on the exception to the rule but rather on what I do/need on a regular basis.

In the pre-cell days, doctors and so on who really did need to be reachable 24/7 had beepers. The rest of us got by fine without.

The hassle of all these chirping/beeping/blinking electronic baubles is annoying as well as needlessly expensive. We cede the those precious moments of privacy - when we cannot be reached - and pay for the assault on our rapidly diminishing sphere of personal space to boot!

No thanks...

I know many people feel that way - and I understand the reasoning. But I'm a kook and like the idea of potentially getting lost and having to find my way back. GPS, to me, takes away from the adventure. If you know where everything is, you'll never get to be surprised by what you find along the way!

When I would go off road riding in the Mojave desert, the first thing I would do is mark the campsite on the GPS then turn it off. At the end of the day, I'd turn it back on, get a fix on what direction the campsite was and head across the desert in that direction. Beats the heck out of spending the night out there. Now it's like an American Express card, I don't leave home with out it.