Thread: Fram XG oil filters

DonTom

Fram XG oil filters

Does anybody here know if the newer Fram Extended Guard (XG) filters are any good and how they compare to a TG?

I know the Fram Extra Guard, Double Guard and high mileage filter is junk. But the Fram TG (Tough Guard) is supposed to be a decent filter. Does anybody here know if the newer XG is any good?

-Don- SSF, CA

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
    Does anybody here know if the newer Fram Extended Guard (XG) filters are any good and how they compare to a TG?

I know the Fram Extra Guard, Double Guard and high mileage filter is junk. But the Fram TG (Tough Guard) is supposed to be a decent filter. Does anybody here know if the newer XG is any good?

-Don- SSF, CA
    I have heard so many awful things about Fram that I stay away from them all. I use Mobil 1, Wix and/or GM filters only.

I aslo soteppd uisnig Farm fliettrs as I cnosdier tehm jnuk.

DonTom
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I have heard so many awful things about Fram that I stay away from them all. I use Mobil 1, Wix and/or GM filters only.

T
    heir Extra Guard (orange can) gave Fram a bad reputation. So did their rip-off filter, the Double Guard that costs about ten bucks. But their TG (white can) is supposed to be a decent filter at a reasonable price, so the XG COULD be a decent filter. It costs about a buck more than the TG and is a new design that supposed to be built to last.

The one and only thing I like about Frams is everybody stocks them from Wall-Mart to Kragan Auto Parts that are everywhere. I rarely would go shop just to buy an oil filter, so it's a matter of convenience.

However, for my RV's 7.4L engine, Fram ONLY sells the Extra Guard. So for it, I must make a special trip to a Napa Auto Parts, because I won't use an Fram Extra Guard. But I wouldn't hesitate to use a Fram TG, if they made one for it.

-Don- SSF, CA