Thread: Goldwing stators

Goldwing stators

I find myself bikeless for the first time in years. I'm going back to Goldwings since I'm getting old enough for the more civilized ride to be appealing. I'm looking at older 'Wings so I can pay cash and not worry about work getting cut back more.

I printed out ads off craigslist and found 18 bikes. In short order I was down to 4 and now I'm down to 2. One is a GL1100 from 1982. I had an '81 standard GL1100 before I bought my Connie. The second one is in better shape and newer. However, it's an '86 GL1200. The owner has had it for 2 years and doesn't know if the stator has been upgraded. The GL1200 had problems with the connection arcing and the staotr would fail. The reason this is such a big deal is the engine has to be removed from the bike to replace it. The recall replaced the stator and upgraded the plug connector. Does anybody know how to tell if the plug has been changed and the stator repaired? Any web sites?

I'm leaning toward the 1100 since it is much cheaper (needs the carbs. clenaed) and I'm more familiar with them. However, I don't like to dismiss anything out of hand.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by Grouch
    Does anybody know how to tell if the plug has been changed and the stator repaired? Any web sites?
    I've tried several websites supposedly giving links to the Honda Tech Bulletins - in each case the query returns the reply 'SERVICE UNAVAILABLE'. My guess is that if the bike could be taken to a dealer he would be able to plug in to the on-board system and read out if the recall has been done. Your comment re removing the engine is interesting since most of the sites I looked at said 'Hard wiring the connections is no big job'.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I've tried several websites supposedly giving links to the Honda Tech Bulletins - in each case the query returns the reply 'SERVICE UNAVAILABLE'. My guess is that if the bike could be taken to a dealer he would be able to plug in to the on-board system and read out if the recall has been done. Your comment re removing the engine is interesting since most of the sites I looked at said 'Hard wiring the connections is no big job'.

Ken.

The dealers here will only work on the 1500 and 1800 'Wings. The problem with the stator was the plug. It would go bad and start arcing. This would damage the rectifier and then the stator would fail. One of the mechanics said they changed a lot of plugs before there was damage and it worked just fine. On 20+ year old equipment, slight damage can fail after years of service.
    The dealer found that they needed to look at service letter 16. Number 16 is no where to be found. I've found a fairly nice 1100 and may pick it up. I had one before the Connie and still have some parts for it.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.