Thread: Spotted a 2009 Daytona Charger

Spotted a 2009 Daytona Charger

The car looked respectable, but.......

The American car companies are truly stuck in the past. They must have a mental block. If you missed the 60's - the hippies, the love/peace, the idealist war protests, flower power, LSD, the Beatles, the muscle cars - well Sorry - You Missed It!!!

In 1969 I was a grad student, today I'm a grandfather - why in the hell are they resuscitating these designs?

They all deserve to go bankrupt!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    The car looked respectable, but.......

The American car companies are truly stuck in the past. They must have a mental block. If you missed the 60's - the hippies, the love/peace, the idealist war protests, flower power, LSD, the Beatles, the muscle cars - well Sorry - You Missed It!!!

In 1969 I was a grad student, today I'm a grandfather - why in the hell are they resuscitating these designs?

They all deserve to go bankrupt!
    I think part of the reason is there's a very devoted and vocal - albeit small - body of enthusiasts who have created a distorted perception inside the Big Three as to the market for such cars.

I argued this point with Damen some months back. In brief, there's a difference between enthusiasm for a car and whether people will buy the car.

I love the looks, etc. of the new Challenger - but I would never buy one (unless I one the lottery or wrote a best-seller or landed a movie deal). It's far too expensive for such an essentially useless car.

And that, I think, is the core problem with trying to bring back the muscle car in today's world. You are right. It is not 1969. Gas is no longer cheap and neither are muscle cars. Most of the younger guys who like them can't afford them. The older ones who can mostly don't want one.