Thread: 16 Year Old Loses Constitutional Rights Due to Patriot Act

16 Year Old Loses Constitutional Rights Due to Patriot Act

16 Year Old Loses Constitutional Rights Due to Patriot Act:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/5049867

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco Man View Post
    16 Year Old Loses Constitutional Rights Due to Patriot Act:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/5049867

I read about this - I wonder how "law and order" Chimp lovers feel about it?

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I read about this - I wonder how "law and order" Chimp lovers feel about it?
    Chimp lovers and "law and order" apologists will state that this is an isolated case and that this case doesn't matter compared with enemy "threeeeeeeeeeeeeats."

Of course, if it was done by Obama's administration, maybe some of them will wake up to the evils of giving executives unbridled power. But since most American voters have a combined political IQ of about 25, I doubt that anyone will make that connection.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Chimp lovers and "law and order" apologists will state that this is an isolated case and that this case doesn't matter compared with enemy "threeeeeeeeeeeeeats."

Of course, if it was done by Obama's administration, maybe some of them will wake up to the evils of giving executives unbridled power. But since most American voters have a combined political IQ of about 25, I doubt that anyone will make that connection.
    I read the dumb-ass kid was using a a fake Internet ID to make prank phone calls and that's why he got arrested. Of course, it's obvious he's just a typical dumb-ass teenager and not a "terrorist." The reaction of the government/cops is totally over the top. Stupid kid needs to maybe pick up some trash by the side of the road for a couple of weeks or some such - dragooning him off to the clink and treating him like some kind of Assahola bin Laden is ridiculous.

Yeah, it was his mom claiming he was arrested under the USA PATRIOT act.
    She also fails to understand that he's in federal prison, and that she can't go visit him anytime she feels like it. But he's not being held incommunicado -- he can write her for the cost of a postage stamp. Phone calls cost more, since they're made collect (and the phone company tacks on a significant fee because it's an inmate)

I still think that the feds overreacted in arresting him, and their proof seems flimsy to me. We'll see when he goes for his initial hearing, I guess.

Chip H.

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    Yeah, it was his mom claiming he was arrested under the USA PATRIOT act.
    She also fails to understand that he's in federal prison, and that she can't go visit him anytime she feels like it. But he's not being held incommunicado -- he can write her for the cost of a postage stamp. Phone calls cost more, since they're made collect (and the phone company tacks on a significant fee because it's an inmate)

I still think that the feds overreacted in arresting him, and their proof seems flimsy to me. We'll see when he goes for his initial hearing, I guess.

Chip H.
    Maybe Obama is clearing Gitmo of terrorists so that he can jail American citizens there.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Maybe Obama is clearing Gitmo of terrorists so that he can jail American citizens there.
    Obama supporters who thought "change" was coming should take note that Barry Otero hasn't rescinded one paragraph of the "Patriot" Act; indeed, he intends to use it to its full extent. He and The Chimp are peas in a pod - both of them sock puppets for the Total State.