Thread: BMW builds an Aztek

BMW builds an Aztek

I'm talking about, of course, the X6 whatcha-ma-callit.

I saw one for the first time in person today.
    Truly horrible.

Chip H.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post

Truly horrible.
    Chip H.
    I think my Volvo XC-90 is better looking than the X6 or MB SUV or the Porsche SUV.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Truly horrible.

Chip H.
    It's not so much ugly in my opinion as hugely impractical; the proverbial answer to the question no one asked. It's too big/clumsy to be a sport sedan/wagon; too small and light duty to be an SUV.

Doug
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    It's not so much ugly in my opinion as hugely impractical; the proverbial answer to the question no one asked. It's too big/clumsy to be a sport sedan/wagon; too small and light duty to be an SUV.
    I saw this car at BMW Welt last year and my thought was exactly the same. Since then, I have only seen a handful on the street. There are many more Audi Q7's and, even though still a monster, they are more practical. This car/truck was obviously build for the North American market. I don't know how they are selling there or even when they were introduced but I think BMW made a mistake - but who am I? I don't understand why people buy French or Italian cars either.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I saw this car at BMW Welt last year and my thought was exactly the same. Since then, I have only seen a handful on the street. There are many more Audi Q7's and, even though still a monster, they are more practical. This car/truck was obviously build for the North American market. I don't know how they are selling there or even when they were introduced but I think BMW made a mistake - but who am I? I don't understand why people buy French or Italian cars either.
    It seems many automakers, including BMW, feel this urgent need to both expand and fracture their model lineups to include something for every conceivable niche and specialty. Benz is afflicted, too. I think they have 3-4 new models now (including a station wagon!) than they did five years ago. This may diversify their portfolio but in my opinion, beyond a certain point, it leads to models like the X6 - which may have been interesting as a one-off show/concept car but which make little, if any, sense as mass production models.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Have you seen the story of how this car was created?

Apparently BMW sent the design team to live in a house together for a year on the coast in California, to create a "new genre" product for America. They partied nonstop and came up with no new concepts until the very last minute, when they thought of the X6. Sounds more like a reality show than a competent business decision.

I'm waiting for someone to come up with a lowering kit for the X6 so that it'll just look like a fastback sport wagon instead of an SUV.

There's an M version now too.

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel View Post
    Have you seen the story of how this car was created?

Apparently BMW sent the design team to live in a house together for a year on the coast in California, to create a "new genre" product for America. They partied nonstop and came up with no new concepts until the very last minute, when they thought of the X6. Sounds more like a reality show than a competent business decision.

I'm waiting for someone to come up with a lowering kit for the X6 so that it'll just look like a fastback sport wagon instead of an SUV.

There's an M version now too.
    LOL. Cool as hell. A car designed by slackers. I hope it does well in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel View Post
    Not going to help much. There's this large expanse of sheetmetal above the rear wheels, and there's just not much you can do with it, design-wise, without it ending up looking like love-handles.

Chip H.

Truly horrible.

Chip H.

An absolutely out of proportion thing.... sort of a mish mash of ugliness.
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Not going to help much. There's this large expanse of sheetmetal above the rear wheels, and there's just not much you can do with it, design-wise, without it ending up looking like love-handles.

Chip H.
    Looks like they sort of had the same idea as me:

Meet the 2010 BMW 5-series "Gran Turismo".