Thread: Heater core failures.

DonTom

Heater core failures.

Replacing a heater core is a real hassle in some vehicles. So when you do such, consider the reason why it might have failed so you won't have to do the job again.

See here.

-Don-

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
    Replacing a heater core is a real hassle in some vehicles. So when you do such, consider the reason why it might have failed so you won't have to do the job again.

See here.

-Don-

Few things are shittier - and the fix is almost as much of a PITAS.

Ah, the oily smell of carpets soaked with coolant. You never get rid of it. Ever-present film on the windshield as the vapors leach through the defroster vents.

The core is one of the first things installed in the bare chassis and it is typically located deep in the cowl/firewall and buried under AC stuff, ductwork and so on. Getting at it is a real patience tester!

DonTom
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Few things are shittier - and the fix is almost as much of a PITAS.
    I have done the job a few times. But those vehicles were not all that bad. I have had other cars, where the heater core never gave me any trouble, but looked almost impossible to get to.

Ah, the oily smell of carpets soaked with coolant. You never get rid of it. Ever-present film on the windshield as the vapors leach through the defroster vents.
    In the 1988 Chevy Biretta that I used to own, its very first problem was the neck of the heater core broke a couple of blocks from home (on the way back from a hike in San Pedro Park in Pacifica). The hot coolant poured into the interior of the car! It was almost impossible to drive those last two blocks home because the windshield was all steam. I managed to drive it two blocks to get it home by sticking my head out the window. Gallons of hot coolant poured into the car. The Chevy stock heater core necks were made out of PLASTIC! However, the replacement one from the local cheap auto parts store (Kragan) was all metal. No plastic necks.

The core is one of the first things installed in the bare chassis and it is typically located deep in the cowl/firewall and buried under AC stuff, ductwork and so on. Getting at it is a real patience tester!
    Changing the water pump in my Jeep was a larger job than the few heater cores I have replaced over the years, but I have seen some that didn't look easy at all. I have been luclky so far.

-Don- SSF, CA
    Last edited by DonTom; 05-20-2009 at 05:57 PM.