Thread: Saw my first new Camaro today

Saw my first new Camaro today

Briefly.. as I was going to lunch.

The hood & grille assembly is unmistakable.

Not sure it's worth what the local dealers are asking for them, though...

Chip H.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    Briefly.. as I was going to lunch.

The hood & grille assembly is unmistakable.

Not sure it's worth what the local dealers are asking for them, though...

Chip H.

If you want one, get one while you can.

My prediction: The Camaro will be cancelled before the end of 2010 if not before. (As part of bankruptcy/restructuring. The negative PR of having taxpayer money financing gas-hog useless sports cars will force GM to kill it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post

My prediction: The Camaro will be cancelled before the end of 2010 if not before. (As part of bankruptcy/restructuring. The negative PR of having taxpayer money financing gas-hog useless sports cars will force GM to kill it.)
    Over many years, it's cars like the Camaro, Chevrolet HRH and Volt that have contributed to the downfall of GM.
    The money it spent on developing those models should have been used to refine and improve the ones that did sell well.
    Trevor

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcolby View Post
    Over many years, it's cars like the Camaro, Chevrolet HRH and Volt that have contributed to the downfall of GM.
    The money it spent on developing those models should have been used to refine and improve the ones that did sell well.

Camaro's not a bad car, per se. It's just got terrible timing. GM could have mined profits from it had they not cancelled the previous generation seven years ago, then spent the past six getting this one ready to go.

If the car they are just now releasing had appeared circa 2003 - when gas was still cheap and the economy still going strong - it would have been a success and that success might have been enough to sustain it through the catastrophic times we're living in now.

But with nothing but liabilities around its neck (it's a CAFE loser, it has to build a market from scratch in a segment that is suffering terribly and which already has established competition, etc.) I see no hope.

Volt is idiotic. The notion of a $30,000 "economy" car is a contradiction in terms. If you can afford the Volt, you can afford $4 gas. It's a Leo diCaprio/Ed Begley special. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by tcolby View Post
    GM spent a lot more of its development dollars on SUVs. These were its most profitable vehicles until the bottom fell out when gas prices went soaring. If gas had stayed low and the C.A.F.E. standards would not have ratcheted up, things would be going well at GM today. However GM could have easily kept producing the 2001 full-size SUV/pickup lineup with facelifts and they could have used the money for their bread and butter cars. The new GM fullsize 2008+ SUV/pickup platform was very costly.

Chevrolet spent many dollars on the Volt due to upcoming much stricter C.A.F.E. standards and California regulations. It has to have some zero emissions cars in the future. California has been teasing for the last few years of mandating a certain percentage of new cars have to be zero emissions (and it appears this is going to happen). What was GM supposed to do?

What the balance sheet does not show is how many other Chevrolets in the past GM sold because there was a Camaro and Corvette in the dealer showroom to entice a buyer to come in the front doors.

GM did its fair share of blunders however in the end the Government killed GM. It's a real life story of "The Monkey and the Alligator". The last 30 years have been the slow movement of the monkey into the alligator's mouth. Now the Alligator is having its meal.

Bye Bye GM!