Thread: Ohio Bill to Raise Speed Limit

Staff

Ohio Bill to Raise Speed Limit

This week, two Ohio lawmakers filed a bill to increase the speed limit to 70 mph on Ohios rural interstate highway system. The bill would boost the limit to 70 mph for passenger cars and trucks weighing less than 8000 lbs while maintaining the 65 mph speed limit (that was just increased from 55 mph) for trucks and buses.

State Rep. Dan Dodd (D-Herbon), a bill sponsor, says that Ohio needs to catch up with other states that allow passenger cars to go 70 mph. A House transportation committee was scheduled to hold a hearing on the bill on 5/23/09.

The predictable opponents are members of the world famous Ohio State Highway Patrol that claims that accidents will increase as a result, while ignoring the fact that fatality rates have declined at a greater rate in states with speed limits posted at or above 70 mph versus states keeping 65 mph speed limits. Other opponents include our friends at the Owner-Operator-Independent-Drivers Association. They have a quarrel with a split speed limit.

More information as it comes out. Bringing the speed limit back up to 70 mph will put speed limits back to where they were in 1973 in Ohio.
    Last edited by swamprat; 05-23-2009 at 07:22 PM.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    This week, two Ohio lawmakers filed a bill to increase the speed limit to 70 mph on Ohios rural interstate highway system. The bill would boost the limit to 70 mph for passenger cars and trucks weighing less than 8000 lbs while maintaining the 65 mph speed limit (that was just increased from 55 mph) for trucks and buses.

State Rep. Dan Dodd (D-Herbon), a bill sponsor, says that Ohio needs to catch up with other states that allow passenger cars to go 70 mph. A House transportation committee was scheduled to hold a hearing on the bill on 5/23/09.

The predictable opponents are members of the world famous Ohio State Highway Patrol that claims that accidents will increase as a result. Other opponents include our friends at the Owner-Operator-Independent-Drivers Association. They have a quarrel with a split speed limit.

More information as it comes out. Bringing the speed limit back up to 70 mph will put speed limits back to where they were in 1973 in Ohio.
    Excellent news; I hope Ohio can get back to where things were circa '73.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Excellent news; I hope Ohio can get back to where things were circa '73.
    OK, so who is this guy 'Ohio Bill' or should that be 'Ohio William', and can he come over here and get our motorway limit up to 90?

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    OK, so who is this guy 'Ohio Bill' or should that be 'Ohio William', and can he come over here and get our motorway limit up to 90?

Ken.
    90 MPH would be about right as a speed limit, in my view. Most Interstate Highway traffic is running around 70 (the 85th percentile speed), so a limit that parallels the average/typical speed is ludicrous. A limit ought to be not merely the fastest legal speed one may travel but also the upper limit of safe travel speeds, given the average/typical speed. Since most drivers are doing around 70, anything much more than 20 mph faster probably creates an issue of too-fast closing speeds/speed variance - which is an objective safety concern.

90 mph, however, would be perfectly reasonable. I mean, for Christ's sake, the engineers who designed the Interstates in the 1950s posited a safe average speed of appx. 70 mph - and that was SIXTY years ago and assumed 1950s-era car technology, including drum brakes all around, shitty bias-belted whitewall tires and suspensions so crude they make a current Lawn tractor look sophisticated.

Surely, it's "safe" to drive a modern car with 60 years' worth of improved technology all of 20 mph faster than what was considered perfectly safe/reasonable circa 1955....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    90 MPH would be about right as a speed limit, in my view. Most Interstate Highway traffic is running around 70 (the 85th percentile speed), so a limit that parallels the average/typical speed is ludicrous. A limit ought to be not merely the fastest legal speed one may travel but also the upper limit of safe travel speeds, given the average/typical speed. Since most drivers are doing around 70, anything much more than 20 mph faster probably creates an issue of too-fast closing speeds/speed variance - which is an objective safety concern.

90 mph, however, would be perfectly reasonable. I mean, for Christ's sake, the engineers who designed the Interstates in the 1950s posited a safe average speed of appx. 70 mph - and that was SIXTY years ago and assumed 1950s-era car technology, including drum brakes all around, shitty bias-belted whitewall tires and suspensions so crude they make a current Lawn tractor look sophisticated.

Surely, it's "safe" to drive a modern car with 60 years' worth of improved technology all of 20 mph faster than what was considered perfectly safe/reasonable circa 1955....
    I entirely agree, Eric. Believe it or not our first motorway (M1) was designed for a safe sustained speed of 120 mph. Back in those good old days there were few vehicles that could attain that sort of speed let alone maintain it. Now I would hazard a guess that 75% of modern cars can cruise at that sort of speed and have steering and brakes to match. What governments should be doing is improving driver training, including high speed driving as part of driving tuition and the driving test. Night driving should also be a mandatory part of training and test. Given such attributes I would think 90 mph would be a very reasonable sort of upper limit. An alternative, which would I admit be more difficult to police, would be to apply the speed limits - on open Freeways/Motorways - to the drivers and not the roads. E.G. Blue plates, no speed restrictions, yellow plates, 90 mph, red plates, 70 mph, white plates, no access to motorways. Suburban posted limits to apply to all drivers.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.