Thread: Saw a Jaguar XF today

Saw a Jaguar XF today

From the looks I was not impressed. From the back it sorta looks like a cross between a Tarus and a Sebring.

What has Ford done to this brand?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    From the looks I was not impressed. From the back it sorta looks like a cross between a Tarus and a Sebring.

What has Ford done to this brand?

It's a high quality piece (Ford deserves credit for that) but I agree with you on the styling. It has nothing distinctive - nothing "Jaguar" - about it, except for the badges, which look tacked on. Put 'em on a new Lexus GS350 and you'd be hard-pressed to tell which was the "Jaguar."

I'll take one of the older, crankier - but completely Jaguar Jags any day.

There's no way the XF looks as cheap as a Taurus or Sebring. First time I saw one, from the rear, I wondered if Aston Martin had come out with a 4-door I hadn't heard about.

But on closer inspection, I think it looks like an odd cross between Nissan and VW/Audi, including the interior. Still, at least it's not some kitschy "retro" pastiche like the S-Type anymore.

When saying "What has Ford done to this brand" you should look at the X-Type and S-Type. Compared to those, the XF is a breath of fresh air.

I'm a software developer and I've seen the same thing done to software - by the Microsoft Monopoly.

I predict that in a few years autos will be 'toasters' - all will look alike and have the same features. I've been aware of this trend for the past 10 yrs.

In traffic, what I see is the back of the car. The MB and Audi and BMW seem to have the most pedestrian styling ever. At one time you could say to your self: "Hey, that's a nice... fill in the blank." Now many cars look the same. KIA is successfuly knocking off MB styling. I predict it's gonna happen sooner than later!

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel View Post
    There's no way the XF looks as cheap as a Taurus or Sebring. First time I saw one, from the rear, I wondered if Aston Martin had come out with a 4-door I hadn't heard about.

But on closer inspection, I think it looks like an odd cross between Nissan and VW/Audi, including the interior. Still, at least it's not some kitschy "retro" pastiche like the S-Type anymore.

When saying "What has Ford done to this brand" you should look at the X-Type and S-Type. Compared to those, the XF is a breath of fresh air.
    The XF exterior looks like it was designed by Lexus stylists while the interior looks like a 1980's Nissan.

The S-type is a retro-inspired car with modern (obviously) chassis updates. Since I own one, I like the styling, the ride and the drivetrain. I figured it was my cheapest way into a rear-wheel drive sedan. You can get one for a steal. It turns heads wherever it goes.

I wouldn't buy an XF since I think the damned thing looks like an overpriced GS350.
    Last edited by swamprat; 05-24-2009 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    The XF exterior looks like it was designed by Lexus stylists while the interior looks like a 1980's Nissan.

The S-type is a retro-inspired car with modern (obviously) chassis updates. Since I own one, I like the styling, the ride and the drivetrain. I figured it was my cheapest way into a rear-wheel drive sedan. You can get one for a steal. It turns heads wherever it goes.

I wouldn't buy an XF since I think the damned thing looks like an overpriced GS350.
    The S-Type looks like a Jaguar - unmistakably so.

Why do we buy cars, other than for their usefulness as appliances? One reason is for their emotional appeal - how they make us feel by the way they look and drive.

Older Jaguars had a quality that set them apart from other cars. Maybe they weren't as sewing machine perfect as a Lexus or Benz. So what?

By becoming, in effect, another Lexus/Benz, etc., Jaguar is losing whatever reason it had for existing.

After all, we already have Lexus and Benz.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    The S-Type looks like a Jaguar - unmistakably so.

Why do we buy cars, other than for their usefulness as appliances? One reason is for their emotional appeal - how they make us feel by the way they look and drive.

Older Jaguars had a quality that set them apart from other cars. Maybe they weren't as sewing machine perfect as a Lexus or Benz. So what?

By becoming, in effect, another Lexus/Benz, etc., Jaguar is losing whatever reason it had for existing.

After all, we already have Lexus and Benz.
    Yep! emotional appeal - it is what the older Jags and sister Daimlers (Jags with different radiator and trunk trim and a bit more polished wood inside) had in spades. Mind you, to be perfectly honest, my Daimler Sovereign 4.2 manual - although one of my favourite cars - was the most unreliable car I have ever owned. In 55,000 miles it needed a new engine, new radiator and when it needed a new differential after munching all its internals, I called it a day and traded it for an Opel Rekord - none of the charisma but totally reliable. My old Dad was a great Jaguar fan and had them all from the early SSs to the 3.6 S Type and many models in between.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Yep! emotional appeal - it is what the older Jags and sister Daimlers (Jags with different radiator and trunk trim and a bit more polished wood inside) had in spades. Mind you, to be perfectly honest, my Daimler Sovereign 4.2 manual - although one of my favourite cars - was the most unreliable car I have ever owned. In 55,000 miles it needed a new engine, new radiator and when it needed a new differential after munching all its internals, I called it a day and traded it for an Opel Rekord - none of the charisma but totally reliable. My old Dad was a great Jaguar fan and had them all from the early SSs to the 3.6 S Type and many models in between.

Ken.
    It's the price we pay for beauty - kind of like a high-maintenance (but supermodel quality) girlfriend... !