Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few local views.

A few local views.

Sherry was asking, some time ago, when I was going to post some pictures of my locality. I've just uploaded a few piccies and, hopefully, this link will work. Best to view as a slideshow - if you know how to work it.

http://photobucket.com/Woodhall

Ken.
    Last edited by Ken; 05-25-2009 at 02:06 PM.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

The link works, but it's asking for a password.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
    The link works, but it's asking for a password.
    I think it is asking for your Photobucket password, Dave. It didn't use to do that so I think it is a new security thing. Try logging on and either using your existing password - if you have one - or else join Photobucket and use the password you create. Let me know what happens, if it doesn't work I will try and sort something out from this end. I find PB useful for filing albums but, for one or two pictures, I upload directly from my computer.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I think it is asking for your Photobucket password, Dave. It didn't use to do that so I think it is a new security thing. Try logging on and either using your existing password - if you have one - or else join Photobucket and use the password you create. Let me know what happens, if it doesn't work I will try and sort something out from this end. I find PB useful for filing albums but, for one or two pictures, I upload directly from my computer.

Ken.
    Have just discovered that Photobucket had turned all my 'Public' albums and photos into 'Private' ones. This could be the reason for the 'Password' request. I have changed the file privileges back to 'Public' so hopefully you can now access the piccies.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Thumbs up

Great pics, Ken. Looks like a very nice neighborhood.
    One word of caution though...watch out for those drivers - they're all on the WRONG side of the road!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Piney View Post
    Great pics, Ken. Looks like a very nice neighborhood.
    One word of caution though...watch out for those drivers - they're all on the WRONG side of the road!!!
    Thanks for the heads up, Rich. Note to all US riders - not only did Photobucket make all my public files into private files they also printed the photos back to front. Please download, import into your photo manipulation software, flip horizontally, save and then enjoy without palpitations caused by them thar vehickles bein' on the wrong side of the road.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Thumbs up

Have just discovered that Photobucket had turned all my 'Public' albums and photos into 'Private' ones. This could be the reason for the 'Password' request. I have changed the file privileges back to 'Public' so hopefully you can now access the piccies.
    I'm glad I didn't have time to do anything about it yesterday - saved me a lot of messing around!

I'm glad I didn't have time to do anything about it yesterday - saved me a lot of messing around!

You'd be surprised to find out how long it took me to sort it out. I didn't even know files could be public or private. LOL!

K.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

You'd be surprised to find out how long it took me to sort it out. I didn't even know files could be public or private.
    I did wonder if it was a similar setup to Snapfish, which allows the setting up of a password to allow a sort of 'semi-public' access to files.

Now can we have a photo of the Kinema in the Woods, please!

(Didn't read your text until yesterday evening, so my previous post may not have made as much sense as you'd expect!)

I did wonder if it was a similar setup to Snapfish, which allows the setting up of a password to allow a sort of 'semi-public' access to files.

Now can we have a photo of the Kinema in the Woods, please!

(Didn't read your text until yesterday evening, so my previous post may not have made as much sense as you'd expect!)
    No sooner said than done my old son. Probably a good idea as many of our trans-atlantic cousins will not have seen a real multiplex cinema before. They will be amazed and astounded to note that the Kinema has not one but two auditoria, one of which has a full theatre organ which rises, from the depths, for the organ recitals which are a regular part of our local entertainment. I believe at a pinch using both auditoria it can seat around 'quite a few' people.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

No sooner said than done my old son. Probably a good idea as many of our trans-atlantic cousins will not have seen a real multiplex cinema before. Ken.
    OK, so where did the photos go??????????? I'll try again and, for your delectation in the next post I will give a potted history of the Kinema.

Ken.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ken; 05-28-2009 at 04:53 PM.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

OK, so where did the photos go??????????? I'll try again and, for your delectation in the next post I will give a potted history of the Kinema.

Ken.
    Potted history as promised;

THE HISTORY OF THE KINEMA IN THE WOODS
    103 years ago the Kinema at Woodhall Spa - unique among the cinemas of Britain - showed its first film, silent of course. It had started life as a concert pavilion looking out over Tennis Courts, Croquet lawn, Gardens and bandstand in the Spa grounds between Victoria Hotel, then in its Edwardian heyday, and the newly built, Petwood House. World War I changed many things, but little changed in Woodhall and its Spa until the palatial Victoria Hotel was burnt down on Easter Sunday 1920.

Two years later when Captain Archbold Weigall returned to Petwood from being governor of South Australia, he and lady Weigall saved the Spa Baths from being closed down. The same year (1922) Captain (later Major) C. C. Allport converted the concert pavilion into the pavilion cinema. The moving picture was the new entertainment of the age, and Woodhall - where people came for rest and recreation - was not to be left behind.

The conversion was achieved very simply - by building onto the north end of the pavilion a corrugated iron shed and projecting onto the transparent screen from the back. The rock-steady picture was described by a film producer in the 1920s as the finest projection he had yet seen in Britain, Canada or America. Moreover, Woodhall's cinema was then only the 68th cinema to be opened in the whole country. And the rear projection system - which is what makes the Kinema unique - is still used today.

Most of the hall was fitted with tip-up seats, but a special and much appreciated feature was that the front six rows were deck chairs. They were much sought after by patrons at 1s 6d (other seats ranged from 1s 3d to 6d). As a throwback to the heyday of the Spa, the deck chairs survived to 1953. Music to accompany the silent films was provided by the Phantom Orchestra. The cinema, or Pavilion Kinema as it became known (and then a little later, Kinema in the Woods because of its setting among the pine trees) was one of the few provincial picture houses patronised by Royalty on several occasions every year.

When the Kinema opened, David Whyles was the projectionist, and he saw the installation of the first sound projector in 1928. That machine was not replaced until the present two electronically controlled projectors were installed in 1978 under the charge of David Hill. They still rely on the traditional carbon-arc lamps. And the Kinema has its own generator in case of mains power failure.

In those far-off days BT (Before Television) going to the 'flicks' was a major part of the entertainment industry, and for Kinema patrons Major Allport produced the 12-page Woodhall Spa Kinema Monthly Gazette from the late 1920s. It gave details of forthcoming films with the story lines, such as 'Sporting Life' starring Bert Lytell and Marian Nixon shown in March 1927. 'The story gives glimpses behind the stage of London's smartest shows, a battling prize fight with a fortune at stake; an exciting auto chase, exquisite fashion creations, a tender love story with a dramatic kidnapping scene, and the glorious horse race - the great Derby - with its exciting finish.'

For half a century it could be said that Major Allport was the Kinema. When he applied for his 50th license in 1972 it was granted free of charge. Today the Kinema in the Woods is part of a small group including the cinemas at Spilsby and Mablethorpe owned and run by James Green. The Kinema always 'has a comfortable seat for you.' It is open Seven nights a week-and long may it continue.

Compton Kinestra Organ For The Kinema

Open seven days a week, Woodhall Spa's Kinema in the Woods undoubtedly would have continued as a picture house without being blessed with organ music if it had not been for the new owner, James Green. He owns cinemas at Spilsby and Mablethorpe. In his Bijou cimema at Mablethorpe he had David Hill build and install a four ranker which has been in regular use since 1984. According to British organist David Lowe, cinema owner Green is an accomplished organist himself.

Electronic organs had been used periodically at the Kinema after Green assumed control of the house in 1973. And, subsequently, his own Wurlitzer electronic was installed on a small platform to the right of the screen. It was used on special occasions and prior to evening performances.

The Compton Kinestra, which ultimately came to Woodhall Spa, was first installed in the Super Cinema. Visual feature of this organ was the ornate lacquered red and gold console decorated in eighteenth century oriental by Japanese artist who was hired by the Compton Organ firm.

In 1931 the cinema was renamed the Tatler and installed talking pictures; the organ fell into disuse. It was eventually purchased by London organ builders Monk & Gunther and sold in 1978 to Nigel Turner. Adding a third manual to the console, he installed the organ in a building on his horticultural nurseries grounds at Harpole. Turner also augmented the instrument with a piano and replaced the pneumatic relay with a Christie solid-state relay and capture system. It was the first electronic relay installed on a British theatre organ and also incorporated a tape reproducing unit.

Green bought the organ from Turner in 1986 and moved it to Woodhall. About the same time, a lift was obtained from the Odeon (Regent) Hanley which elevated a Wurlitzer console. Considerable work was needed at the Kinema to accommodate the lift and organ.

Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

No sooner said than done my old son.
    Thank you very much - it doesn't look any different from how I remember it in the 1950s!

Thank you very much - it doesn't look any different from how I remember it in the 1950s!
    Apart from the new Ice Cream Kiosk, which is only about fifteen years old, I doubt whether it has changed at all, Dave. It is a delightful little cinema and is surprisingly comfortable. The new (second) auditorium has rows of seats raked at a quite large angle such that, even with a lady in a large hat sitting in front of one, one can still see the screen clearly which is more than I can say for many modern cinemas.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Nice writeup on the history of the Kinema in the Woods.
    Thanks Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Piney View Post
    Nice writeup on the history of the Kinema in the Woods.
    Thanks Ken.
    Glad you appreciated it, Rich. I took the Honda out today for a quick spin to try out my 'el cheapo' vidcam so you can see some of my local roads.

Disappointed on two counts:

a) When turning into a higher light intensity the video darkens off to an unacceptable level - The manufacturer assures me this is a faulty unit and the supplier has a replacement waiting for me to pick up.

b) The video only lasts a couple of minutes as I left the old batteries in. The new, fully charged ones were sitting on my bookcase waiting to be fitted. Doh!!!!

The rattle by the way is the metallic ball joints on the vidcam mounting bracket, nothing to do with my bike and, hopefully, a simple fix.

Hope it works.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Worked just fine, Ken. You're right - it's too short. Also, the rattling was God-awful...thank goodness it's NOT your bike!

With the exception of the end, where you're in town, that road reminded me of a road that Adam & I rode a few years ago. Adam wanted to be able to say he rode in New Jersey, so after Rolling Thunder I brought him up to my home state. (I think he was disappointed - I only brought him about 15 feet into New Jersey, then he had to turn around and head back down to Maryland) We rode Route 9 along Delaware's eastern coast from right outside Smyrna Landing up to Wilmington. Great road, with nice turns, good scenery, and not much traffic...as I said I was reminded of it watching your video clip.

Get the rattle and the lighting worked out and post more. Great stuff.

Now that is scary, going around the curves on the wrong side of the road. Looking forward to more Ken, I might learn something.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Now that is scary, going around the curves on the wrong side of the road. Looking forward to more Ken, I might learn something.
    It is quite safe, actually Elmo, as everyone here seems to drive on the wrong side of the road. I did have a big fat momma, in a 4X4, a while ago, came round the bend on the right (Right - geddit) side of the road, chatting on her mobile, head turned away talking to her brat on the back seat. Luckily I was on the bike, if I'd been in the car it would have been a head on with a closing speed of about 90. When she saw me I reckon she must have crapped herself by the way she swerved.

Ken.
    Last edited by Ken; 06-06-2009 at 02:04 PM.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Piney in part View Post
    Worked just fine, Ken. You're right - it's too short. Also, the rattling was God-awful...thank goodness it's NOT your bike!

Get the rattle and the lighting worked out and post more. Great stuff.
    Got a replacement camera today, took it on the basis that I could change it for a Panasonic SD camera (Which Paul, the sales assistant, spent about half an hour testing out with me) if it was no better than the old one. Got it home, tried it out, any improvement was truly marginal. Phoned the shop said that camera was 'no better'. Paul immediately said 'OK, not fit for purpose - bring it back and try the Panasonic.' Can't argue with their customer service. Ah, the things I do for this forum.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.