Thread: 'Nuther one bites the dust

'Nuther one bites the dust

It seems like the bad guys just can't seem to learn their lessons very well. Last night, another little dear broke into a house armed here in town. When the police got there, he was laying out in the yard with a bullet in him. His buddy cut out and left him (but at least didn't drive over him) and they are lookiing for him by name.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    It seems like the bad guys just can't seem to learn their lessons very well. Last night, another little dear broke into a house armed here in town. When the police got there, he was laying out in the yard with a bullet in him. His buddy cut out and left him (but at least didn't drive over him) and they are lookiing for him by name.

Good riddance.

There is no excuse for this kind of thing. I understand being po'. I have been po'. I do not condone taking anything that isn't yours - and I fully support punishing those who do so. But provided no violence (or threat of violence) is involved, I am fairly much a softie, if the circumstances are otherwise not obnoxious (first offense, etc.) But when violence enters the picture (including possession of a weapon during an attempted theft) I lose all sympathy.

That is a line you do not cross in my moral universe. If you do, and you get killed by the citizen you intended to assault (or threaten), you got everything that was coming to you.

I would happily support a law requiring a mandatory, no exceptions 25 year prison term for anyone who uses a gun or knife in the course of committing a crime, even if the weapon is never used.

That would put an end to "gun violence" overnight.

Got woken up at 3:50 the other morning by gunshots off in the distance (about a quarter-mile away, I would guess)

Welcome to Charlotte.
    Hope you don't get hit.

Chip H.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    Got woken up at 3:50 the other morning by gunshots off in the distance (about a quarter-mile away, I would guess)

Welcome to Charlotte.
    Hope you don't get hit.

Chip H.

I mentioned to a guy looking at my Jeep that I used to look for untracable knives at swap meets. Clean the fingerprints off it, wrap it in paper and if someone breaks in, there will be a knife laying near the body after a break in. Indiana dropped the "must retreat" clause from the Castle law. Hence the number of naughty people getting shot. Unlike up state, we do tend to deal with our problems ourselves around here.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Welcome to Charlotte.
    Hope you don't get hit.

Chip H.
    We had that occasionally in our old Northern Va. suburb. Here too, sometimes. But there's a difference. There, you'd hear the shots at night. I assumed it was criminal. Here, if you hear shots, it's almost always in the daytime and just hunters or your neighbor getting in some plinking!

Went out to the range today with some friends. Had a good time shooting my Walther, and my friends' Python and S&W .44 RemMag. Later we moved to the rifle range and shot one of their M1 Garand, which is amazingly accurate at 300 yds (iron sights, old Danish reloaded ammo, etc)

But I think the range might be in trouble in a few years. Despite it being there since 1913, and in a previously remote part of Mecklenburg County, development is encroaching. Right across the street from the entrance is a new housing division, and I don't doubt that the homeowners will object to the sound of gunfire during the day.

Luckily, North Carolina has an excellent range protection law that has grand-father provisions. But it doesn't mean that the homeowners can't make trouble.

Chip H.

Went out to the range today with some friends. Had a good time shooting my Walther, and my friends' Python and S&W .44 RemMag. Later we moved to the rifle range and shot one of their M1 Garand, which is amazingly accurate at 300 yds (iron sights, old Danish reloaded ammo, etc)

But I think the range might be in trouble in a few years. Despite it being there since 1913, and in a previously remote part of Mecklenburg County, development is encroaching. Right across the street from the entrance is a new housing division, and I don't doubt that the homeowners will object to the sound of gunfire during the day.

Luckily, North Carolina has an excellent range protection law that has grand-father provisions. But it doesn't mean that the homeowners can't make trouble.

Chip H.
    Yeah.

Once again, the core - the fundamental - problem we face: Too damn many people. Liberty and population density beyond a certain critical mass are incompatible, to paraphrase Jefferson.

We have doubled the population of this country since I was born in the late '60s. The population that it took the preceding 300 years to reach. In the space of just 40 years.

That is a frightening rate of increase.

Worse, the increase is to a great extent from Third and Second World countries, where there is no cultural tradition of "ordered liberty" or any of the other essential social/historical background without which a limited and decentralized government cannot long survive.

We are in the midst of the modern-day era of Elagabalus - with all that it portends for the future.
    Last edited by Eric; 05-30-2009 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Yeah.

Once again, the core - the fundamental - problem we face: Too damn many people. Liberty and population density beyond a certain critical mass are incompatible, to paraphrase Jefferson.

We have doubled the population of this country since I was born in the late '60s. The population that it took the preceding 300 years to reach. In the space of just 40 years.

That is a frightening rate of increase.

Worse, the increase is to a great extent from Third and Second World countries, where there is no cultural tradition of "ordered liberty" or any of the other essential social/historical background without which a limited and decentralized government cannot long survive.

We are in the midst of the modern-day era of Elagabalus - with all that it portends for the future.
    The followers of Gaia believe that the earth is a self regulating and self healing organism. To some extent I believe this to be true. If the population explosion threatens the planet then, by the laws of nature, there will be famine plus (probably) the usual accompaniments of pestilence, wars, earthquake, and floods which will reduce the population to manageable levels. The dinosaurs found this out some 60,000,000 years ago.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    The followers of Gaia believe that the earth is a self regulating and self healing organism. To some extent I believe this to be true. If the population explosion threatens the planet then, by the laws of nature, there will be famine plus (probably) the usual accompaniments of pestilence, wars, earthquake, and floods which will reduce the population to manageable levels. The dinosaurs found this out some 60,000,000 years ago.

Ken.

I don't know about the followers of Gaia, but I would say there's an important distinction to be made between how many people can the planet materially support vs. how many people per square mile is a good thing in terms of quality of life for most of them?

Is it desirable, for instance, for a country such as the US to emulate India and China and bloat the population to 1 billion-plus just because it's possible to do so?

A relatively low population density means the people in a given area aren't constantly bumping into one another (literally and figuratively), which reduces social friction - and thus the need for the state and its endless profusion of laws, which are anathema to liberty.

Low density also means resources are abundant (and thus inexpensive), land relatively cheap, competition for work less severe (and thus, better paid).

Spawning as many copies of ourselves as we are biologically capable of and filling each corner of the earth's usable land with people strikes me as a nightmare scenario far worse than a plague or even nuclear war.