Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Opinions on Penske-Saturn?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC, USA
    Posts
    3,628

    Opinions on Penske-Saturn?

    Turning Saturn into a distribution-only brand really isn't much different than what they've been doing (serving as Opel's US outlet).

    But it's an interesting concept that I haven't heard of being done before. Hope it works for them.

    Chip H.

  2. #2
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,730
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    Turning Saturn into a distribution-only brand really isn't much different than what they've been doing (serving as Opel's US outlet).

    But it's an interesting concept that I haven't heard of being done before. Hope it works for them.

    Chip H.

    Bad move, sez me.

    A core problem with the current car market is a superabundance of makes and models. Saturn is superfluous. It offers nothing not already offered by others - many of those others being better or cheaper or some combination thereof.

    Saturn needs to be retired.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC, USA
    Posts
    3,628
    You know, it'd be ironic if Saturn were the only part of GM to survive.

    Chip H.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Mase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    840
    Penske owns the Cadillac and Hummer Dealership where I do business. Or at least, it is called "Penske Cadillac-Hummer."

  5. #5
    Senior Member misterdecibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Posts
    3,408
    Yes, Penske already owns a regional chain of dealerships, and now he's got the entire Saturn US network. The "virtual car brand" thing could be interesting. I see that GM are only committed to provide Aura, Vue, and Outlook through 2011, Astra and Sky have already got the axe. The rumors I've seen involve Renault/Samsung as a supplier of vehicles.

    What I'm wondering, though, is where Hummer is going to get vehicles? What did the Chinks get when they bought Hummer besides a brand name and some intellectual property? Did they get a manufacturing facility anywhere? They've already stated that they're committed to continue making Hummers in the US. Will GM be supplying them with vehicles? Will they be another "virtual" manufacturer like Saturn?

    What happens to the Spring Hill TN facility now?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC, USA
    Posts
    3,628
    Spring Hill will be closing. They haven't made Saturns there since 2007. In 2008 they started making the Chevy Traverse. In 2009 GM has decided to idle the plant...

    I think I've only seen 2 Astras on the road, so no surprises that it got the axe.

    The Sichuan-Tengzhong company already makes heavy equipment like concrete trucks. But do not currently make vehicles for sale in the civilian market.

    http://www.sctengzhong.com:8080/tengzhong/weben/cp.jsp

    Chip H.

  7. #7
    Senior Member DonTom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Auburn, CA & Reno, NV & Cold Springs Valley, NV
    Posts
    663
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Saturn needs to be retired.
    Hey now! I like my Saturn and was planning on buying another some day! It's one of the few small engines that use a timing chain instead of a belt and it's fairly easy to work on and it does what it's supposed to do quite well. And it's reliable.

    Other than my alternator crapping out at 80,000 miles and a little plastic thingie broke in both the rear windows, making it not possible to roll up & down the rear windows, I have had no problems to speak of in almost 100K miles. These problems I was able to fix myself. Oh yeah, and that oil that leaked in to the spark plug that was a 20 minute fix. BTW, still a little oil getting in there, but not enough for me to be concerned with.

    And the car seems fairly roomy for a small car. I would say for the most part, it's designed quite well for a cheap car with a little 1.9L engine.

    I want them to stick around at least until I buy my next car!

    -Don-

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,429
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel View Post
    What I'm wondering, though, is where Hummer is going to get vehicles? What did the Chinks get when they bought Hummer besides a brand name and some intellectual property?
    I can visualize Chinese pimps in Hummers with the wheels that spin when you stop.

  9. #9
    Senior Member misterdecibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Posts
    3,408
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
    Hey now! I like my Saturn and was planning on buying another some day! It's one of the few small engines that use a timing chain instead of a belt and it's fairly easy to work on and it does what it's supposed to do quite well. And it's reliable.

    Other than my alternator crapping out at 80,000 miles and a little plastic thingie broke in both the rear windows, making it not possible to roll up & down the rear windows, I have had no problems to speak of in almost 100K miles. These problems I was able to fix myself. Oh yeah, and that oil that leaked in to the spark plug that was a 20 minute fix. BTW, still a little oil getting in there, but not enough for me to be concerned with.

    And the car seems fairly roomy for a small car. I would say for the most part, it's designed quite well for a cheap car with a little 1.9L engine.

    I want them to stick around at least until I buy my next car!

    -Don-
    That engine's already been out of production for years.

  10. #10
    Senior Member DonTom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Auburn, CA & Reno, NV & Cold Springs Valley, NV
    Posts
    663
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel View Post
    That engine's already been out of production for years.

    Is that because it's too reliable?

    -Don- SSF, CA

  11. #11
    Senior Member misterdecibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Posts
    3,408
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post

    Is that because it's too reliable?

    -Don- SSF, CA
    Probably because it was used in too few products, and GM already had "family" 4-cylinder engines that could replace it.

  12. #12
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,730
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel View Post
    Probably because it was used in too few products, and GM already had "family" 4-cylinder engines that could replace it.

    If memory serves, the Saturn four was dropped because it was considered "thrashy" (made too much noise) and wasn't refined enough to compete with the stuff being made by Honda, etc.

  13. #13
    Senior Member misterdecibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Posts
    3,408
    I'm sure Don's beloved timing chain was the source for much of that "thrashy" noise.

Similar Threads

  1. Opinions on Republican Debates?
    By dBrong in forum Tea Party Talk...
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-16-2014, 10:58 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-02-2009, 06:46 AM
  3. The Penske Plan and Free Trade Part Deux
    By Disco Man in forum Advice/Questions/Tips
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-06-2009, 11:04 PM
  4. Saturn Sky
    By dBrong in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-19-2008, 11:28 PM
  5. Opinions/suggestions about this site?
    By Eric in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 11-20-2006, 11:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •