Thread: Opinions on Penske-Saturn?

Opinions on Penske-Saturn?

Turning Saturn into a distribution-only brand really isn't much different than what they've been doing (serving as Opel's US outlet).

But it's an interesting concept that I haven't heard of being done before. Hope it works for them.

Chip H.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    Turning Saturn into a distribution-only brand really isn't much different than what they've been doing (serving as Opel's US outlet).

But it's an interesting concept that I haven't heard of being done before. Hope it works for them.

Chip H.

Bad move, sez me.

A core problem with the current car market is a superabundance of makes and models. Saturn is superfluous. It offers nothing not already offered by others - many of those others being better or cheaper or some combination thereof.

Saturn needs to be retired.

You know, it'd be ironic if Saturn were the only part of GM to survive.

Chip H.

Penske owns the Cadillac and Hummer Dealership where I do business. Or at least, it is called "Penske Cadillac-Hummer."

Yes, Penske already owns a regional chain of dealerships, and now he's got the entire Saturn US network. The "virtual car brand" thing could be interesting. I see that GM are only committed to provide Aura, Vue, and Outlook through 2011, Astra and Sky have already got the axe. The rumors I've seen involve Renault/Samsung as a supplier of vehicles.

What I'm wondering, though, is where Hummer is going to get vehicles? What did the Chinks get when they bought Hummer besides a brand name and some intellectual property? Did they get a manufacturing facility anywhere? They've already stated that they're committed to continue making Hummers in the US. Will GM be supplying them with vehicles? Will they be another "virtual" manufacturer like Saturn?

What happens to the Spring Hill TN facility now?

Spring Hill will be closing. They haven't made Saturns there since 2007. In 2008 they started making the Chevy Traverse. In 2009 GM has decided to idle the plant...

I think I've only seen 2 Astras on the road, so no surprises that it got the axe.

The Sichuan-Tengzhong company already makes heavy equipment like concrete trucks. But do not currently make vehicles for sale in the civilian market.

http://www.sctengzhong.com:8080/tengzhong/weben/cp.jsp

Chip H.

Auburn, CA & Reno, NV & Cold Springs Valley, NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Saturn needs to be retired.
    Hey now! I like my Saturn and was planning on buying another some day! It's one of the few small engines that use a timing chain instead of a belt and it's fairly easy to work on and it does what it's supposed to do quite well. And it's reliable.

Other than my alternator crapping out at 80,000 miles and a little plastic thingie broke in both the rear windows, making it not possible to roll up & down the rear windows, I have had no problems to speak of in almost 100K miles. These problems I was able to fix myself. Oh yeah, and that oil that leaked in to the spark plug that was a 20 minute fix. BTW, still a little oil getting in there, but not enough for me to be concerned with.

And the car seems fairly roomy for a small car. I would say for the most part, it's designed quite well for a cheap car with a little 1.9L engine.

I want them to stick around at least until I buy my next car!

-Don-

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel View Post
    What I'm wondering, though, is where Hummer is going to get vehicles? What did the Chinks get when they bought Hummer besides a brand name and some intellectual property?
    I can visualize Chinese pimps in Hummers with the wheels that spin when you stop.

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
    Hey now! I like my Saturn and was planning on buying another some day! It's one of the few small engines that use a timing chain instead of a belt and it's fairly easy to work on and it does what it's supposed to do quite well. And it's reliable.

Other than my alternator crapping out at 80,000 miles and a little plastic thingie broke in both the rear windows, making it not possible to roll up & down the rear windows, I have had no problems to speak of in almost 100K miles. These problems I was able to fix myself. Oh yeah, and that oil that leaked in to the spark plug that was a 20 minute fix. BTW, still a little oil getting in there, but not enough for me to be concerned with.

And the car seems fairly roomy for a small car. I would say for the most part, it's designed quite well for a cheap car with a little 1.9L engine.

I want them to stick around at least until I buy my next car!

-Don-
    That engine's already been out of production for years.

Auburn, CA & Reno, NV & Cold Springs Valley, NV
    That engine's already been out of production for years.

Is that because it's too reliable?

-Don- SSF, CA

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post

Is that because it's too reliable?

-Don- SSF, CA
    Probably because it was used in too few products, and GM already had "family" 4-cylinder engines that could replace it.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Probably because it was used in too few products, and GM already had "family" 4-cylinder engines that could replace it.

If memory serves, the Saturn four was dropped because it was considered "thrashy" (made too much noise) and wasn't refined enough to compete with the stuff being made by Honda, etc.

I'm sure Don's beloved timing chain was the source for much of that "thrashy" noise.