Thread: Uninsured drivers on the rise

Uninsured drivers on the rise

Because of the economic melt-down, more people than ever are choosing to let their auto insurance lapse.

North Carolina currently has an estimated 14.8% of the drivers on the road without insurance. When the figures come out later this year it's estimated to hit 18% -- that's nearly 1 in 5 drivers.

Chip H.

Staff
    How are they able to do that? In North Carolina, I got a notice that my license plate was suspended when I changed insurance carriers. Progressive ratted me out when I cancelled their policy and began with Allstate on the same day!. I had to go in to the GQW#$%ER DMV and prove my innocence.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    How are they able to do that? In North Carolina, I got a notice that my license plate was suspended when I changed insurance carriers. Progressive ratted me out when I cancelled their policy and began with Allstate on the same day!. I had to go in to the GQW#$%ER DMV and prove my innocence.
    True - it is very hard to drive without insurance. Though maybe it should not be...

I might do a column on this today....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    True - it is very hard to drive without insurance. Though maybe it should not be...

I might do a column on this today....
    Just a query - over on your side is it the vehicle that is insured or the driver? or, putting it another way, is it each individual vehicle that has to carry insurance?

We now have cameras that can read our number plates, interrogate the national data base, and flag up to the operator if the vehicle is untaxed, uninsured or both. Then his buddy, a little further down the road flags you down and books you for every violation he can dream up after carefully checking your licence, MOT Cert, tyres, size of number plate, degree of tinting on windows or helmet visor, etc., etc. And yet people are still prepared to take the chance and drive without licence, tax, insurance or MOT Cert - mainly because the fines the judiciary impose are less than the cost of the 'permissions' they fail to procure.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

We haven't yet gone that far over to soft fascism/corporatism (or whatever you want to call it!). But we are working on it.

Policy is generally this: Each vehicle (car, motorcycle) that is registered (that is, has license tags) must be insured (state minimums vary) for as long as it is registered. Even if the car is not driven/taken/parked on public roads (in Va., at least). If you drop/don't get insurance coverage, the law is you're supposed to turn in your tags and cancel your registration and notify the DMV immediately.

The insurance cartels are essentially a "private" adjunct of state departments of motor vehicles. They provide the info as to whether you're insured or not to the DMV, narking on you if you cancel a policy (and sometimes, even if all you did was change companies). The DMV then demands "proof of insurance" and if you don't have it, you are big-time busted and subject to huge fines and hassles.

Even though you may (and probably didn't) incur a cent of damage to anyone.
    Last edited by Eric; 06-25-2009 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    We haven't yet gone that far over to soft fascism/corporatism (or whatever you want to call it!). But we are working on it.

Policy is generally this: Each vehicle (car, motorcycle) that is registered (that is, has license tags) must be insured (state minimums vary) for as long as it is registered. Even if the car is not driven/taken/parked on public roads (in Va., at least). If you drop/don't get insurance coverage, the law is you're supposed to turn in your tags and cancel your registration and notify the DMV immediately.

The insurance cartels are essentially a "private" adjunct of state departments of motor vehicles. They provide the info as to whether you're insured or not to the DMV, narking on you if you cancel a policy (and sometimes, even if all you did was change companies). The DMV then demands "proof of insurance" and if you don't have it, you are big-time busted and subject to huge fines and hassles.

Even though you may (and probably didn't) incur a cent of damage to anyone.
    Our system is a little different. A vehicle is allocated a licence plate number that (unless changed to a personal plate - which must be a standard number allocated by the DVLA) stays with it for life. If used, or even parked, on a public road the car must be taxed and, I believe, insured and MOT'd (Safety tested). If the vehicle is taken off the road then it is not necessary to tax it, or insure it, but a statutory document SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) has to be filled in and sent to the DVLA. The vehicle still retains its licence plate. All this information is fed into a national database that the police have access to.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Our system is a little different. A vehicle is allocated a licence plate number that (unless changed to a personal plate - which must be a standard number allocated by the DVLA) stays with it for life. If used, or even parked, on a public road the car must be taxed and, I believe, insured and MOT'd (Safety tested). If the vehicle is taken off the road then it is not necessary to tax it, or insure it, but a statutory document SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) has to be filled in and sent to the DVLA. The vehicle still retains its licence plate. All this information is fed into a national database that the police have access to.

Ken.
    Remember when the Western world was still relatively free? I can... and I miss it.

I hope we see real "change" before too long. By which I mean a peaceful (if possible) secession movement. It's either that or we shall see the rising of omnipotent/total coverage by the state within a very short while - and the absolute end of personal discretion/choice and privacy.