Thread: Texting while driving now illegal in NC

Texting while driving now illegal in NC

Starting Dec. 1, texting while driving could cost you.

Gov. Bev Perdue on Friday signed into law a bill that bans drivers from text messaging or sending e-mails with their cell phones
    http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/5394218/

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

if there weren't so many morons out there.... I'd be opposed to this. A skilled driver can handle it. But skilled drivers are increasingly uncommon. Take an already marginal "driver" - add annoying electronic gadget - and you've got a real menace. These pinheads wander across the double yellow, blow through completely red lights, squat obliviously in the fast lane, with a dozen cars behind them.... and on and on.

What's desperately needed is a way to cull the unskilled drivers. Then we could repeal most of the laws on the books as well as the enforcement thereof.

I mean, Hell, who would you rather encounter on a windy country road? A guy with an SCCA license and a couple beers in him? Or cell phone addled Chatty Kathy in her SMooVee?

I think the answer is to advocate tougher driver training, right from age 16.
    Something along the lines of what they do in Germany. Those guys are *good*.

Chip H.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    I think the answer is to advocate tougher driver training, right from age 16.
    Something along the lines of what they do in Germany. Those guys are *good*.

Chip H.
    100 percent agree. It's why they can have unlimited speed sections of the Autobahn and an accident/fatality rate no worse than our dumbed-down highways have.

Staff
    I think that texting while driving is a really dumb idea regardless of skill level. The key word, however is driving. The way this law will be enforced is that a cop will see someone texting in a traffic jam completely stopped or just creeping along at 5 mph. That person will be the one ending up with the ticket. The guy tooling along at 65-70 mph in the left lane or the guy going 40 in a 45 mph zone on suburban routes will not be detected by law enforcement

This is just another way to entrap otherwise competent people. This law will have zero impact on highway safety and will serve as a small revenue source for an ever increasing nanny state. Of course, the primary source of revenue for these bandits at all levels will continue to be speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeding tickets.