Thread: Trip to Gassaway, West Virginia

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Trip to Gassaway, West Virginia

I just got back from a ride to Gassaaway, West Virginia - a little less than 200 miles from where we live in southwest Virginia. I rode out there on a gorgeous summer day to check out a 2002 Nissan Frontier pick-up I found online. I've been looking for a "back-up" Frontier for a few weeks now and this one seemed to be what I wanted. I figured why not ride out and inspect it and if it turns out right, I can load the bike in the truck and drive right back on home? And that's just what I ended up doing.

But what I wanted to tell you guys about was the Refresher Course I got in what a beautiful state West Virginia is - and what a great place to ride it is. The terrain is very mountainous, with steep upgrades and downgrades that pass through magnificent gorges and stunning panoramic vistas. Even better, though, is the 70 mph speed limit you'll find on many West Virginia highways - with traffic running 90 mph and (from what I could tell) minimal enforcement.

At 90-100 mph, the curves on these highways are like a high-speed track and you can run like this for hours.

The roads I traveled to Gassaway include I-77, US 19 and I-79. Virginia Route 460 (near Blacksburg/Virginia Tech) is also very scenic. For those who remember the movie, "Dirty Dancing," the set for the movie is a resort called Mountain Lake (see http://www.mtnlakehotel.com/) that is along this road and well worth stopping in to see.

Anyway, I just wanted to pass along the recommendation before I head over to the DMV to suffer the slow torture of dealing with the registration/titling paperwork for our new truck!
    Last edited by Eric; 07-01-2009 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I just got back from a ride to Gassaaway, West Virginia - a little less than 200 miles from where we live in southwest Virginia.
    But what I wanted to tell you guys about was the Refresher Course I got in what a beautiful state West Virginia is - and what a great place to ride it is. The terrain is very mountainous, with steep upgrades and downgrades that pass through magnificent gorges and stunning panoramic vistas. Even better, though, is the 70 mph speed limit you'll find on many West Virginia highways - with traffic running 90 mph and (from what I could tell) minimal enforcement.

At 90-100 mph, the curves on these highways are like a high-speed track and you can run like this for hours.
    Eric, I hoped you stayed in your lane and didn't maximize the road. What I can't believe is you exceeded the speed limit by up to 30 mph, endangering others on the road. What if some little child had starting walking across the road as you were laying into a turn at up to 100 mph. Kind of reminds me of similiar situations on Deals Gap.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Litlbike View Post
    Eric, I hoped you stayed in your lane and didn't maximize the road. What I can't believe is you exceeded the speed limit by up to 30 mph, endangering others on the road. What if some little child had starting walking across the road as you were laying into a turn at up to 100 mph. Kind of reminds me of similiar situations on Deals Gap.
    I always keep to my lane!

And, bear in mind, these were broad four-lane/limited access (and lightly traveled) highways - designed for safe travel at 70 assuming the cars of the '60s. Riding a modern sport bike at 90 is nothing on such roads.

The thing about Deals is, you've got lots of blind curves and lots of traffic, including RVs that waddle right across the double yellow and which (given 35 mph posted speed limits) you can come on like that and have nowhere to go except off the road or into the RV... etc.

But the bottom line, for me, is not "safety" per se, it's that I don't think it's wise to run hard on a road that is known nationwide and which is therefore apt to be chock full o' squids and cops and everything else I don't want to encounter when I am doing 30 (or 50!) over the limit...