Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Daytona 09 I rode mine

Daytona 09 I rode mine

OK before I start got a quick question here. How many of you ride your bikes long distances and how many trailer it? What advantage is there to riding or trailblazing?
    I'll try to answer these questions as best I can too through my story. So without further ado, I started off last Wednesday February 25 about 3 p.m. heading for Daytona. However first part of journey was to make it to west of St.Louis.
    I'm going stop ride here and say been blessed with good weather. I mean the day was a high near 60 and sunny and until that day I wasn't so sure I'd ride or just drive my car down to Florida and borrow a bike. I didn't want to go through all the money and hassles or trailering.
    So I packed up my Yamaha Venture Tourer and proceeded south. It was a beautiful day for Chicago as I remember it. Really I couldn't ask for better weather for late winter. The next day was suppose to get snow and cold so this was my window of opportunity to ride mine to Daytona.
    Honestly it went better then expected,I had all sorts or cold weather garments packed up in my bike most of which didn't even have to use. I envision snow and cold but got got nice weather most of the way down and coming back up,just one real biker day the best way to put it.
    I rode like the breeze to St.Louis and it was a full moon so the night was bright too. Actually rode maybe 50-60 miles west of St.Louis to stay at an old friends house. It's good to have friends when traveling far on a motorcycle.
    I had a secret weapon too that made me as safe as a cucumber while riding when dark or in adverse conditions. It's a lime green water proof highway construction jacket with those silver stripes that makes me look well very visible. Not just that but cars and trucks and other bikes might just see me as a police. I don't mind anything to keep me safe out there and getting into trouble is fine and dandy.
    I made it to George and had a great first day ride to Daytona. I saw lots and I mean lots of people trailering and was wondering if they were going to Daytona too? I bet they were. All in all I did about 300 plus miles my first day out and it was all good.
    Next Wednesday 25 of February.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    OK before I start got a quick question here. How many of you ride your bikes long distances and how many trailer it? What advantage is there to riding or trailblazing?
    I'll try to answer these questions as best I can too through my story. So without further ado, I started off last Wednesday February 25 about 3 p.m. heading for Daytona. However first part of journey was to make it to west of St.Louis.
    I'm going stop ride here and say been blessed with good weather. I mean the day was a high near 60 and sunny and until that day I wasn't so sure I'd ride or just drive my car down to Florida and borrow a bike. I didn't want to go through all the money and hassles or trailering.
    So I packed up my Yamaha Venture Tourer and proceeded south. It was a beautiful day for Chicago as I remember it. Really I couldn't ask for better weather for late winter. The next day was suppose to get snow and cold so this was my window of opportunity to ride mine to Daytona.
    Honestly it went better then expected,I had all sorts or cold weather garments packed up in my bike most of which didn't even have to use. I envision snow and cold but got got nice weather most of the way down and coming back up,just one real biker day the best way to put it.
    I rode like the breeze to St.Louis and it was a full moon so the night was bright too. Actually rode maybe 50-60 miles west of St.Louis to stay at an old friends house. It's good to have friends when traveling far on a motorcycle.
    I had a secret weapon too that made me as safe as a cucumber while riding when dark or in adverse conditions. It's a lime green water proof highway construction jacket with those silver stripes that makes me look well very visible. Not just that but cars and trucks and other bikes might just see me as a police. I don't mind anything to keep me safe out there and getting into trouble is fine and dandy.
    I made it to George and had a great first day ride to Daytona. I saw lots and I mean lots of people trailering and was wondering if they were going to Daytona too? I bet they were. All in all I did about 300 plus miles my first day out and it was all good.
    Next Wednesday 25 of February.
    Hey, Adam, great to see you decided to go on El Toro buddy. Keep these posts a'comin' in. Managed about twelve miles today as the Honda went in for its annual service - I was mortified when I looked at the mileage, I've had the bike two years and still have less than three thousand miles on her - health permitting I'm going to seriously add to that this year. If only herself was into bikes, ah well!

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Nice write up, Adam. I'm glad you decided to ride.

(In answer to your question - I do not trailer. I ride it. The only times my bike has been on a trailer was when the factory delivered it to the dealer, and when my friend went to pick it up after I flipped it. I couldn't ride it home...I was broken.)

Now, let's get "the rest of the story..."

OK so a great first day of riding. I made it to an old biker friend both he and his and his wife ride and been married almost 50 years to boot. However George was not able to ride with me to Daytona due to some physical problems. I'd would have loved to make the trip down with him and his wife.
    So Thursday got up bright eyed and bushy tailed and looked outside and it was drizzling. Like I said when I started this story would rather see drizzle over snow any day. My strategy was simple and direct. Go south and no fooling around. This meant interstate riding but my figuring is all the fun will be when I get there. Here is another point,it's way more fun riding then driving.
    George and Judy gave me my marching orders. Hit I-44/64 to I-57 and head south and east back through Illinois to Kentucky,Tennessee and into Georgia. George told me to take it easy as Charlie and Linda weren't expecting me till Saturday . I was staying at there place in Port Orange which is close to Daytona Beach.
    Anyway it was drizzly but next day there was talk of snow so I was one step ahead of old man winter. I said goodbye to George and Judy and hit the road. By the way I met everybody in this story through the internet and AOL Biker Boards so at least for me,I'm happy to have met acquaintances all over the country. Without them I doubt if I'd be writing about this trip.
    Geez there most of been a hundred trailers with bikes going same way as me. I saw many a sorrow mug too as I past them bye. I made sure yo pass by kinda slow so they can see me.
    However if your short on time or have one of show room choppers or a Harley Sportster I can understand using a trailer. I was thinking this could be dangerous what I'm doing. I mean the weather could get worst and on the way home might be snow all around. I just counted my blessings every mile I rode in pretty darn good weather considering.
    In Nashville ran into rush hour traffic and people looking like they want to kill somebody. I got to say something right here one can't be mild and meek when riding a bike. You can't be bullied sometimes got to make your presence known. Still I have to say that in general people are more cautious when knowing there is a bike around them.
    I was feeling good so kept on riding into Chattanooga and into Georgia. It was getting nicer as I went along and the rain stopped and the temperature kept rising too. It's all good. I found I-75 and parked it in Dalton,Georgia.
    You know my lime green jacket work to a point. I mean as soon as people realize I'm no cop or have Illinois Department of Transportation on it they start flying past you like no tomorrow. I just kept cool and tried to maintain a good distance between trailers I mean cars. The next day Friday February 27 was my first real day of riding as all hell was breaking loose with weather.
    Come to think of it I was feeling pretty good and maybe should of tried making it to Atlanta. It was pretty dark out and was sort of tired so Motel Six signed looked pretty good. I didn't want to push my luck either.
    Next Friday February 27 making a decision

Thanks Big K and Pney don't worry the stories are going to get crazy but at this point I'm still on the road to Saddam and Gomorrah.

Thanks Big K and Pney don't worry the stories are going to get crazy but at this point I'm still on the road to Saddam and Gomorrah.

Hay Adam,

Glad to see you were able to ride there. Good write up so far. Keep the stories coming.

Now when you get to Daytona, Adam, you just be careful of all them hard drinking hairy bikers and those hot women who'll just drive you crazy if'n you let them.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Now when you get to Daytona, Adam, you just be careful of all them hard drinking hairy bikers and those hot women who'll just drive you crazy if'n you let them.

Ken.

You ain't seen nothin yet.... wait till you get the CD..

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieCLU View Post
    You ain't seen nothin yet.... wait till you get the CD..
    I shall have it reviewed by a responsible person to make sure it is safe for someone of my advanced years to view, Charlie. It doesn't take much to get the ole heart a'palpitating, just so long as there are no ankles on display I should be reasonably OK.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Friday Making Only Decision

Well I slept pretty good in that Motel 6 and just maybe 90 miles shy of Atlanta. It was pretty dark out and thought it was still nightfall when I open up the door and it was pouring rain. Yeah 7:00 a.m. and it's coming down by the bucket load. The guy next to me was out for a smoke and asked if that was bike? I said sure and he say's," well you an't going anywhere Bud." The temperature is going to drop like a rock and high winds are picking up and there is even talk of snow in the forecast. Looks like my good fortune with the weather ran out this morning. So do I ride on or sit in the motel and wait till everything blows over? Trouble is that might take a few days or longer.
    Old Boy was using his best scare tactics saying you'd be crazy to ride. Those are fighting words and if anything it means he wouldn't but he'd not me either. I knew time was a wasting and had to get going. Hard rain well I've experienced but sleet or snow don't want to know. I thanked him for his advise and bolted.
    It was pretty bad riding too. Heavy rain and wind plus morning rush hour traffic I took it pretty slow and easy. The trailer guys got there revenge as they were passing me up as if I was standing still. They looked at me in disbelief. I persevered as best as I can.
    As I was approaching Atlanta the rain was letting up and it was getting lighter out. This is good and as I rode into Atlanta hit the HOV lanes and was smoking down I-75. This is living,hardly any other car in the hov lane. I was going at a pretty good clip but it started pouring again. It was tough goings but as I headed into Macon the weather was getting better and better. Heck it started to clear and was even getting a bit warm.
    I stopped had breakfast and rode into a beautiful spring day. If I'd of stayed back at the motel probably would of been in trouble and not made Daytona. Sometimes it's best to move out and rain isn't so bad just got to ride slower is all.
    I called Charlie and let him know I'm coming. He said "come on down" and so I did. The ride was very awesome from Macon down. Seems like I was the only one riding too but have to say I was very fortunate to have the kind of weather I did. I mean late winter in the midwest and even the south is very unpredictable but that's what makes it all interesting.
    It's a lot of fun,every rest stop or gas station people notice your on a bike and some will take the time to know you or at least talk about motorcycling. They'll tell me about there favorite rides,bikes or how it's like in Daytona.
    As I was getting closer to Daytona noticed that some people were dropping there trailers and bolting the rest of the way on there bikes. As I was heading on the final leg of my journey on I-95 it was pretty dark and there were plenty riding there bikes all heading the same direction. I was in the center lane when a bunch of crotch rockets blasted past me but passed me on the right side of the center lane. If I'd of moved the bike over in the middle more surely one or both of us would get mangled. It wasn't just one or two bikes but maybe a half dozen passing me at over 100 mph clip. What ass@#$%.
    I made it to Port Orange and Charlie greeted me at a Walgreen's and I followed him to his door. I needed a few beers to relax and calm my nerves from the jokers that passed me in my lane.Then it dawned on me I made it and it went pretty good considering.
    Next Saturday February 29th let the partying begin.

It's going to be Steamy

I shall have it reviewed by a responsible person to make sure it is safe for someone of my advanced years to view, Charlie. It doesn't take much to get the ole heart a'palpitating, just so long as there are no ankles on display I should be reasonably OK.

Ken.
    Big K and Everybody;

You won't need any tobacco sauce with my new upcoming video. I'll clean the droll off and get to work on it.

You Got it

Quote Originally Posted by Frosts08ultra View Post
    Hay Adam,

Glad to see you were able to ride there. Good write up so far. Keep the stories coming.
    I'll keep the stories coming but not sure what you'll all think of me when I'm done writing it up. Mama told me not come she said that an't the way that it's done nooooooooooo. I've seen things I an't ever seen before.

Saturday February 28th Kick off Party

Sat Feb 28th Deland bike fest & Welcome party at Trader Jacks

We got up Saturday to a really beautiful day. The kind you experience in springtime but coming out of Chicago it's been awhile since I've experienced anything so sweet. I love hearing the birds chirping in the morning. Sunshine,bluebirds and motorcycles this got to be heaven.
    Charlie made some southern breakfast with the best grits a southern biker can make and we proceeded to wolf it down.
    I strolled around the place scoping out the grapefruit and lemon trees in Charlies back yard. His dog playing in the pool. Charlie is part of the Daytona Harley Drill Team and another member and his wife came by so we all would ride together to Welcome Party at Traders Jack in Deland,Florida. Geez,these guys not only ride there bikes but they can literally ride circles around me.
    It was a beautiful ride to Deland. Lot's of bikes already out as we hit the rode mid morning. I was so happy to be part of the scene. Happier yet I rode my bike down. I felt kind of tough like I belong there and determine to have alittle fun before the week is gone. My philosophy was to party hardy but remember I'm on a bike. I wasn't about to ride all the way there just to get into an accident or anything. If anything riding my bike down kept me more focused.
    We rode a very scenic ride to Deland with lots of palm trees all around and waterways along the roadway. I was wondering if I could see any gators but never did see one.
    As we approached Deland downtown we saw literally thousands upon thousands of bikes. A sea of bikes. All kinds and just beautiful. I was in awe.
    We made it to Trader Jacks and witnessed some fun. Like two scanty clad lasses drinking a drink out of a plastic tube and even french kissing. They then took turns getting on top of the bikers and sucking out the wild juice out of the tube. My camera was rolling.
    There were more then a few 1%ers there and I asked one group if I can take a picture with them. Charlie snapped it and wow that made my day. Say what you want 1%ers are alright by me,however didn't want to push my luck. I partied on and kept my cameras rolling and snapping pictures of not just young beauties but even older ones. I was shouting to show your tattoos louder then anyone else and some of their tattoos in places I didn't think possible.
    It was party time and just fun. There were dildo races and all kinds of craziness. I say let's get it on and we proceeded to tear it up. The day was beautiful and so much fun more then any man is aloud. We were out till nightfall and sort of remember riding back to Charlies.
    I tell you it was controlled mayhem as thousands of bikes and more bikes coming in on trailers were pouring in and all around. Four lanes each way filled with motorcycle traffic and everybody pretty good about it. I don't have loud pipes anymore so had to crank up some AC/DC and saw Charlie bobbing his head to the noise.
    I like Charlie and Linda they know how to have a good time and no hold bars. We were all laughing and goofing and enjoying the first day of bike week.
    Next Sunday March 1st Barry comes in from Texas on his Kawasaki:

Sat Feb 28th Deland bike fest & Welcome party at Trader Jacks

We got up Saturday to a really beautiful day. The kind you experience in springtime but coming out of Chicago it's been awhile since I've experienced anything so sweet. I love hearing the birds chirping in the morning. Sunshine,bluebirds and motorcycles this got to be heaven.
    Charlie made some southern breakfast with the best grits a southern biker can make and we proceeded to wolf it down.
    I strolled around the place scoping out the grapefruit and lemon trees in Charlies back yard. His dog playing in the pool. Charlie is part of the Daytona Harley Drill Team and another member and his wife came by so we all would ride together to Welcome Party at Traders Jack in Deland,Florida. Geez,these guys not only ride there bikes but they can literally ride circles around me.
    It was a beautiful ride to Deland. Lot's of bikes already out as we hit the rode mid morning. I was so happy to be part of the scene. Happier yet I rode my bike down. I felt kind of tough like I belong there and determine to have alittle fun before the week is gone. My philosophy was to party hardy but remember I'm on a bike. I wasn't about to ride all the way there just to get into an accident or anything. If anything riding my bike down kept me more focused.
    We rode a very scenic ride to Deland with lots of palm trees all around and waterways along the roadway. I was wondering if I could see any gators but never did see one.
    As we approached Deland downtown we saw literally thousands upon thousands of bikes. A sea of bikes. All kinds and just beautiful. I was in awe.
    We made it to Trader Jacks and witnessed some fun. Like two scanty clad lasses drinking a drink out of a plastic tube and even french kissing. They then took turns getting on top of the bikers and sucking out the wild juice out of the tube. My camera was rolling.
    There were more then a few 1%ers there and I asked one group if I can take a picture with them. Charlie snapped it and wow that made my day. Say what you want 1%ers are alright by me,however didn't want to push my luck. I partied on and kept my cameras rolling and snapping pictures of not just young beauties but even older ones. I was shouting to show your tattoos louder then anyone else and some of their tattoos in places I didn't think possible.
    It was party time and just fun. There were dildo races and all kinds of craziness. I say let's get it on and we proceeded to tear it up. The day was beautiful and so much fun more then any man is aloud. We were out till nightfall and sort of remember riding back to Charlies.
    I tell you it was controlled mayhem as thousands of bikes and more bikes coming in on trailers were pouring in and all around. Four lanes each way filled with motorcycle traffic and everybody pretty good about it. I don't have loud pipes anymore so had to crank up some AC/DC and saw Charlie bobbing his head to the noise.
    I like Charlie and Linda they know how to have a good time and no hold bars. We were all laughing and goofing and enjoying the first day of bike week.
    Next Sunday March 1st Barry comes in from Texas on his Kawasaki:
    Great report, Adam, keep it going. Things should hot up even more when Barry gets to join y'all.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

More Daytona Bike Week

Don't remember too much about Sunday March 1st except it was a bit cool well for Florida standards. We kind of took it easy and waiting for Barry to come to town. Sure I rode 1300 miles to Bike week from Chicago on my great big Yamaha Tourer but how about Barry? He rode the same amount on his 650cc KLR dual sport and camped all the way too. We met him at a Bob Evans and Barry was in high spirits with his new look. Full facial beard made him look rather distinguished.
    We all met at the restaurant and I sprung for dinner with Barry promising some good KFC or McDonald's tomorrow night his treat. We went back to Charlies and all talked motorcycles whatever. Charlie showed him his room.
    Next day Barry and me rode to Destination Daytona and Demo Bikes, Barry was talking big game about buying a Sporster but after we rode to Destination Daytona seems everybody was interested in his KLR and Barry was enjoying talking about his bike to everyone who asked. I think he was going to keep it and forget about the Sporster.
    It got me thinking my bike needs some more attention. I wanted to get some pin striping done and air brushing. I'm going to ask Charlie if he knew somebody who can do a rightly job at not a high cost.
    We signed up to test drive some bikes and walked around looking at the various manufactures, and accessories. There was lots to see. I tell you motorcycling is about extremes. There are bikes there that had v-8 engines Boss Hoss. Choppers that outdid the next in designs and colors. I saw bikes that looked to be 30 or 40 years old. People spend lots of money customizing there rides and personalizing them. It was eye candy all around under a nice sunny warm day. We could here motorcycles racing at stadium across the the street.
    Even if your not into motorcycling it's fascinating looking at the brilliant designs,art work and engineering of these machines and sometimes more interesting seeing the people riding them. Like I said before motorcycling is about extremes and the people riding them are no exceptions. We live life to the fullest.
    Monday and Tuesday we sort of relaxed and just took in the sights but nothing to wild. However that was going to change Wednesday.
    Next Wednesday March 4th Wrestling at the Cabbage Patch.

Now you're talking. I just hope Barry didn't try to talk you into that cole-slaw...LOL

No but

Quote Originally Posted by Piney View Post
    Now you're talking. I just hope Barry didn't try to talk you into that cole-slaw...LOL
    They tried talking me into taking a drink with the hotties through those plastic tubes but really would rather stay behind the camera and let some younger studs do their thing. I have pictures of me with some honies here and there. The coleslaw thing is a bit bizarre and I'll be writing it up soon.
    Saturday must of partied too much and needed to recuperate some. By Wednesday was ready for more.

Wednesday of Daytona Beach Week

The weather kept getting better and better as the week went by. Today Wednesday March 3rd was suppose to be high of 80 with nothing but blue skies overhead. Charlie who had to work suggested we go and check out the Cabbage Patch and coleslaw wrestling. I tell you Barry and me were up for anything. I also wanted to get my bike air brushed and Charlie recommended Dirk for that and Shaky for the pin striping. That sounded good to me.
    Barry and I had some time to kill before coleslaw wrestling so Barry was working on his bike. He was going through a lot of oil so we decided to ride over to Kawasaki and see if they can do anything about his oil problem. That's another good thing about going to Daytona Bike week,anything you can think of under the sun motorcycle related you can get here. Bring some money.
    Well around mid-morning we moseyed over to the cabbage patch. Thousands of bikes all around pourin in. No problem everybody was talking it easy and parking there machines next to each other. An ocean of bikes side by side. I know now I need some air brushing and pin stripping because more then a few bikes exactly like mine even thou every rider knows no two bikes ever ride the same I don't want mine looking the same either.
    The cabbage patch was a large plot of land with a big mound in the middle of it. It was covered,but when the blue plastic tarp was lifted the mound was an open cavity inside that was being filled with cabbage and then slick oil to grease it up for the wrestlers.
    While this was going on there was a bikini contest with competitors from 18 to 68 years old. Some showed there boobs and believe it or not the 68 year old came in second I don't know why.
    The wrestling begain with the women squaring up on top of the mound filled with slick cole slaw two at a time and wrestled. These women were tough and beauty was in the eye of the beholder. The best part was when they were getting hosed off and many had to lift there braziers to get every nuke and cranny. I made sure to capture the event with my camera.
    They wrestled till there was one lady standing and the competition was fierce. Barry and me walked around and met a friend of Barry's a young guty who was kind of driving around the country trying to figure out where he wants to settle down. Barry was very pleased to have met him in the middle of the outhouse lines.
    We all decided to meet later for dinner. It was an electric atmosphere at the Cabbage Patch with every kind of biker imaginable walking around. The women were all in various stages of dress from normal leathers to barely anything left to the imagination. We were all freedom lovers ,smoking cigars,hoisting a few and just hanging out. It's like we were all there for the fun but I felt a kind of mutual respect in the air too.
    Next Thursday Air Brushing,Pin striping and Flat Track Racing

Next Thursday Air Brushing,Pin striping and Flat Track Racing

The Cabbage Patch Coleslaw Wrestling sounds like a fun event - wish I'd been there. Now thissee here Flat Tracking Adam - is you a'doin or a watchin? Only askin' as I'm doing a Speedway trackday in April, from what I've seen your Flat Track is similar to our speedway - if you were a'doin, and survived, then that's goods news for me.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Unhappy Flat track was for observation

The Cabbage Patch Coleslaw Wrestling sounds like a fun event - wish I'd been there. Now thissee here Flat Tracking Adam - is you a'doin or a watchin? Only askin' as I'm doing a Speedway trackday in April, from what I've seen your Flat Track is similar to our speedway - if you were a'doin, and survived, then that's goods news for me.

Ken.
    Ken;

We had tickets for the event and it was held at the stadium. These were professional and from my observations the start was the key to success. If you can start without dumping the bike or getting run over or into a pile up and be like the top two or three good chance that is how you'll end up the race. It was fun but dirty and El Toro got a good dusting.
    I'll be reporting a bit more on Wednesday and Thursday but Friday was the night we let loose again. I mean every night was some wildness but some was clearer to my mind. I have to get better been kind of sick as of late.